Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Round 3: TITANS vs COWBOYS (2020)

TITANS vs COWBOYS
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

We are nearly back in business.

6pm, Friday 29 May 2020.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Right I only got to say this once last year.
    I hope it’s not repeated this year.
    At 0W and 2L this match is a must win to be a top 8 contender

MINI GF

Might be in with a shot here with Morgan out. Though I'd imagine the Cowboys will want to step it up after the Donkey's ruined their chance of a win at the inaugural game at their new stadium.

I’m working nights now with the split shifts to allow for business continuity and distancing so I hope the company is fully aware that I’ll be streaming this on Kayo and Friday will be a write off as far as productivity goes.

halfback Ash Taylor at five-eighth
    Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
    May 20, 2020 4:05pm
    Subscriber only

Gold Coast halfback Ash Taylor is set for a shock move to five-eighth as Titans coach Justin Holbrook searches for a way to ignite the club’s million-dollar man.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Holbrook is weighing up moving Taylor into the Gold Coast’s No.6 jersey after elevating Intrust Super Cup gun Jamal Fogarty to the NRL.

Fogarty will partner Taylor in the halves when the Titans resume their 2020 campaign against North Queensland in Townsville next Friday night, with regular five-eighth Tyrone Roberts shifting to fullback.

Taylor, 25, has made all 82 of his NRL appearances at halfback and was a gun No.7 as a junior, even making his debut for the Broncos in the key position in 2015.

But he has struggled over the past few seasons under the pressure of being halfback and the Titans’ highest paid player, prompting Holbrook to contemplate making what could be a career-defining move for Taylor.

Holbrook confirmed Taylor could be wearing the No.6 against the Cowboys at Queensland Country Bank Stadium on Friday week.

“Yeah, definitely, that could free him up,” Holbrook said. “The No.6s tend to touch the ball once or twice in a set of six.

“We all know how skilful a player Ash is. If we can get him in that type of role without having to run the team as well, he can just worry about playing. It might make his job a bit easier.

“Whether Ash is seven or six, we’ll get him to play the same way. In terms of how we’re going to play, I don’t think it matters. I haven’t really locked that in. We’ve just been training.”

The eight-week shutdown for the COVID-19 season suspension and confirmation gun fullback AJ Brimson (fractured back) will miss at least another two months has given Holbrook an opportunity to prepare with a new-look team.

Tyrone Peachey and Dale Copley will be the Titans’ new centre pairing in place of Kallum Watkins and Brian Kelly, while Keegan Hipgrave will replace Bryce Cartwright in the back row.

The elevation of Fogarty, who made two NRL appearances for the Titans in 2017, will see Roberts replace Phillip Sami at fullback.

Fogarty, 26, has starred in the Intrust Super Cup for Burleigh over the past few years and Holbrook said he had been impressed by the tenacious playmaker.

“He is a good organising halfback with plenty of experience,” he said. “I wanted to slot him in and see how he goes.

“We’ve got a few options there and he’s one of them. He is a good player.

“Tyrone’s an extra half that has played fullback before. He understands the game really well.

“Without AJ, we’ve upskilled Phil Sami, who’s done a good job but it’s not completely natural to him.

“With Tyrone as an option there, he understands the game, defensive numbers and has the skilful attack of a half with his passing game. There are a lot of strong points for Tyrone there.”

The Titans have gone from originally having a horror draw to start the season to now facing the Cowboys and Wests Tigers (at Suncorp Stadium) over the next fortnight as they search for their first win of the year.

Well that is good news. I have wanted that to happen for a while now, he seems to play more like a second receiver, especially close to the line.
    Not convinced by Roberts at Fb though but it has been a problem position for us for a long time. Time to develop some real depth there.

I like the fact that Holbrook is changing things up and can clearly see what's not working and giving Fogarty a chance, this is something we didn't really see with Garth

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    I like the fact that Holbrook is changing things up and can clearly see what's not working and giving Fogarty a chance, this is something we didn't really see with Garth
    I agree. It is almost Taylor's last chance as well. The first two rounds put paid to the off season BS talk. Time to perform or out, regardless of what he is being paid.

Is Kelly getting dropped because of the whole drama? I really don't like the sound of Copley starting in the centres

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I agree. It is almost Taylor's last chance as well. The first two rounds put paid to the off season BS talk. Time to perform or out, regardless of what he is being paid.
    Yea I really hope for the whole clubs sake that Fogarty can really kick on and become that solid organising half that we havent had for a long time and really put pressure on ash and Tyrone

Inactive User

Holbrook is being the boss.

First Grader

Really like what Holbrook is doing. I feel ash will be better with someone else taking that organising pressure/spot light off him. I really hope fogarty gets an extended run to find his feet if he doesn't hit the ground running. We have nothing to lose.

Yeh like the sounds of the halves changing! Don’t like Copley In the centres, he rarely gets through a game! Why not chuck GL or spry (apparently) the next Latrell.. kelly is our only centre who can break a tackle! Peachy has already proven a horrible centre!

I feel Holbrook will deal with it issue by issue ... half’s first etc etc ... happy enough with that rather than wholesale changes. It’s a work in progress and we have issues right across the squad.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.