Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Members were sent this by SMS this afternoon.

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Meanwhile arriving at Gold Coast airport...

https://twitter.com/maccolahan9/stat...76293294370816

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Gold Coast Titans won’t give up in the face of financial ruin
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

As one of the competition’s smallest clubs, the Gold Coast are already closer to the brink than their rivals. But the Titans hierarchy isn’t giving up the game yet.

Gold Coast boss Steve Mitchell is adamant the Titans won't crumble again after club owner Darryl Kelly admitted he was unsure what impact the coronavirus crisis would have on the NRL franchise's finances.

The Titans are one of 16 NRL clubs facing uncertain futures as the COVID-19 pandemic impacts sport around the world.

The Titans will play their first home game of the season against Parramatta at an empty Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday.

The club has brokered a cheaper hiring agreement with Stadiums Queensland to play at the Robina venue given there will be no fans in attendance, and the NRL has already issued a $425,000 emergency package to all clubs.

But if the NRL competition is suspended at some point in the season it could have dire consequences for clubs and the game.

The Titans essentially folded in 2015 on the back of crippling debts and were taken over by the NRL for close to three years, before being purchased by locals Darryl and Jo Kelly and Rebecca and Brett Frizelle.

Kelly lost more than $5 million in his initial investment in the Titans and has outlaid a significant amount again, as well as leading the development of a leagues club to bankroll the NRL operations.

When asked what impact the corona crisis would have on the Titans, Kelly said: “Unsure at this stage. We’re still working through the numbers.

“You’ve got to work through all the scenarios and that’s not a five-minute job.”

The Titans operate on a shoestring budget compared to NRL heavyweights like the Brisbane Broncos and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Like most NRL clubs, the Titans run at a loss and are propped up by their owners, instead of other revenue streams like wealthy leagues clubs.

The Titans’ leagues club development on the northern Gold Coast is at least a year away from completion.

When pressed on whether the Titans could survive the current economic climate, chief executive Mitchell said: “At the moment, in our current position, we’ll get through, but we’re going to need support. We’re still working through that with the NRL.

“I would think the club’s going to be here – it’s not going anywhere. Like all the clubs we’ve got some obstacles we’re going to have to move through. The whole game is in the same position.

“Like the rest of the world, we’re going to go through a few months of uncertainty.

“This is a three or four-month period where we need to really manage well, live within our means and get through so we can enjoy the rest of the footy season.

“We’re really fortunate that we’ve got a really flexible team. The business isn’t as big as the Broncos, so the ability to move and flex is pretty good.

“We’ve got very committed owners in Darryl, Jo, Rebecca and Brett. They’ve been fantastic and we’re in constant consultation with them.”

The Titans were already suffering from a drop in membership on the back of last year’s wooden spoon season and will now lose further crowd revenue.

The NRL has begun lobbying government for financial support and Mitchell said that was critical to the game’s survival.

“Government (support) is vital. Sport plays such a significant role in the make-up of the Australian fabric and society, it’s important government doesn’t lose sight of that,” he said.

“Particularly in times of crises, people gravitate to their sporting codes and clubs for some respite.

“I remember when the Cowboys won the grand final in 2015 … what that did locally for morale was extraordinary.

“We’ve got a fair way to go as a country to get through this pandemic. To be able to hold on to sport is vitally important to the wellbeing of people in general.”

The Titans will face the Eels on Sunday without star fullback AJ Brimson (back), but forward Moeaki Fotuaika is expected to play his first game of the season.

The Titans are slated to host the Broncos in Round 3 in what is traditionally one of the club's biggest games of the season, but that fixture remains up in the air.

Hopefully the warriors are splitting the bill for this weekend.

Stadiums Queensland cut venue fees to ease financial strain on Brisbane’s teams
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

As Brisbane’s sports fans are locked out from watching their teams play, Stadiums Queensland will work the Broncos, Lions, Roar and Reds to keep all our teams alive.

The Queensland Government has promised to ease the strain on the state’s battling professional sports clubs by slashing stadium fees during the coronavirus crisis.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Stadiums Queensland has offered to “ease the burden” on under-fire sports franchises facing multimillion-dollar losses due to fan lockouts.

The NRL’s Brisbane Broncos, AFL’s Lions, A-League’s Roar and Super Rugby’s Queensland Reds were part of a meeting with Stadiums Queensland powerbrokers in Brisbane on Tuesday.

The meeting was convened to discuss the implications of the COVID-19 pandemic which has forced the suspension of competitions and forced others to be played behind closed doors.

The banning of mass gatherings has delivered a crushing blow to revenue streams for clubs, with the Broncos to play their first home game of the season at an empty Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

The Broncos’ clash against former coach Wayne Bennett’s Rabbitohs would have attracted more than 40,000 fans and a $1 million windfall for the NRL club, as well as a healthy hiring fee for the stadium.

But the government will work with the Broncos and other clubs to reduce fees and help keep the state’s teams alive during crippling financial circumstances.

“While all SQ venues are currently operational, closing the door to mass gatherings will have huge implications on our organisation, our venues, our staff and our contractors,” a Stadiums Queensland spokeswoman said.

“In recognition that our venue hirers are being similarly impacted and dealing with major disruption to their forward schedules, the meeting reiterated that SQ and its partners are strongly committed to working with hirers, to assist them during these unpredictable times.

“Hirers have been urged to meet with their relevant general/venue manager, to explore how we might be able to provide ongoing support.

“Though there are a number of service arrangements that are outsourced to varied contractors, SQ reiterated that we may be able to assist with venue specific arrangements, such as hire fees and on-costs, to ease the burden.”

The Gold Coast Titans were not at the meeting but have already discussed their hiring arrangement with Cbus Super Stadium management.

The Titans’ fees for hosting Parramatta on Sunday night will be reduced because of the lack of staff needed and transport logistics.

“I’ve been liaising with Stadiums Queensland locally,” said Titans CEO Steve Mitchell.

“They’ve been fantastic to us. As soon as the crowd lockout came into effect they were on the phone and we were talking through it.

“They’ve been wonderful in support of our game and doing whatever they can to make it work so it doesn’t impose an enormous cost on us.

“Stadiums Queensland have been big supporters of us. They’ve been very obliging and helpful. It doesn’t fit normal hire circumstances.”

Along with hurting the clubs’ finances, the banning of mass gatherings will impact the bottom line of Stadiums Queensland and venue operators.

Suncorp Stadium manager Alan Graham said he enjoyed a strong relationship with the Broncos, Roar and Reds and he hoped that would continue in trying times.

“There has always been a great relationship between ourselves and the clubs that play here,” he said.

“Those discussions and relationships will continue.”
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 17-03-20 at 11:30 PM.

Titans' Watkins isolated from family in UK lockdown
    https://www.nrl.com/

Gold Coast’s Kallum Watkins doesn’t know when he will get to see his family again as the England Test centre comes to grips with the international travel restrictions that have gripped Australia and the United Kingdom.

Watkins had been looking forward to welcoming his brother to Australia next month but the trip has been aborted as his family goes into full lockdown in England amid the coronavirus pandemic sweeping the world.

“Yeah it is a lot more advanced (in the UK) and I spoke to my mum especially and she’s off work at the minute and my brother is as well so it’s pretty intense in the UK at this point in time,” Watkins said.

“It is a bit worrying because you don’t know how long this is going to go on for.

“I had family who wanted to come here and that is impossible now so we have to hold that back until everything clears up.

“My brother was planning on coming, a lot of my missus’s side was going to come over around April or May but that’s obviously impossible now.

“That is what it is and part of what’s happening at the minute and we just have to stick together and things hopefully will come good.”

The Titans will play Parramatta in an empty Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday and the players have made it clear they’re determined to play so they can wipe the memory of last week’s poor first-round showing against Canberra.

Hooker Mitch Rein can’t recall ever playing a game of rugby league without spectators, but said the Titans would be comfortable with the situation given they’d done weekly sessions at an empty stadium during the preseason.

Rein, however, warned television viewers at home to be prepared to hear conversations that were normally inaudible during regular games due to the crowd noise.

“You will definitely hear what everyone is saying and if there’s any arguments it might be pretty funny,” Rein said.

“There might be a bit of language getting thrown around. People watching at home might hear a few things they might not normally hear.

“To be honest we’ve been training at Cbus all pre-season in that stadium in front of no one anyway so we’ve been doing that once a week for a while so we will be ready for it and will be looking forward to it.”

Meanwhile, Titans CEO Steve Mitchell issued a public thanks to the club’s owners, the Kelly and Frizelle families, plus their sponsors and members for standing by the club during this period of uncertainty.

Mitchell said the Titans faced a difficult six months ahead but was confident they would survive.

“I’m confident we can get through it, we need to manage the business and keep it within its means and do what it takes to adjust,” Mitchell said.

“We’re lucky in the fact we’ve got some really good people here and our owners the Kelly and Frizelle family.

“No doubt we have six tough months of work ahead of us.

“We’ve had emails from every single sponsor in regards to support and believing in what we’re doing at the moment. It’s been really heart-warming to be quite honest.

“Major events and crises like this combine communities. Binding behind our sport is fundamental to the Australian psyche.

“We follow our sporting icons and heroes and teams and in times of crisis it gives people something to focus on and something to get away from the mundane of what they’re facing so it’s important we continue with this (NRL competition) as long as we can.”

Mitch Rein won't let distractions hinder his Titans' focus
    https://www.southcoastregister.com.au/

GOLD Coast Titans hooker Mitch Rein, from Kiama, admits there have been some distractions this week with all the coronavirus discussion going on around the game and across the globe.

But the tough rake is adamant the Titans squad, coached by former Milton-Ulladulla Bulldog Justin Holbrook, is focused on the job that needs to be done on Sunday afternoon against the Parramatta Eels at Cbus Super Stadium.

The Titans will take on the Eels with no fans in attendance, but Rein says that will not change the team's approach to righting the wrongs from last weekend's loss to the Raiders.

"It's something we've never experienced before, but everyone is in the same boat," Rein said.

"There have been a lot of distractions, but we are focused on preparing for the game.

"We need to take it week by week."

Speculation has been rife over the past 24 hours about players potentially going into lockdown and not spending much time out in social spaces.

Related content:Sims gives jerseys off his back for bushfire relief

The Group Seven junior confesses he isn't sure how he would react if a lockdown were to occur.

"I don't know how I'd go because I like getting out and about, having a coffee and so on," he said.

"We're all experiencing things like that at the moment aren't we?"

People keep saying about the swearing we may hear throughout the game. No different then park footy, but if they are concerned then have the broadcast delayed by 6 or so seconds and have someone manned by the audio button.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    People keep saying about the swearing we may hear throughout the game. No different then park footy, but if they are concerned then have the broadcast delayed by 6 or so seconds and have someone manned by the audio button.
    Aside from the swearing (as a parent) I am hoping we do hear everything on the field, will give a true indication of how the team communicates and any issues individuals may have with the game plan and each other.

Hopefully the players understand the situation and tone it down.

I'm with you ozynorts, that would be fascinating to hear the team chatter.

I'm headed back to Hong Kong today. Two weeks early. I had changed my flight to Monday, but due to Qantas's cryptic "End of March" to May international flight shut down, I thought I'd better leave before being trapped for months in the world's greatest nation.

I hope everyone remains healthy and vigilant. I hope the footy can continue. Not just because it's one of my biggest loves, but people need sport more than ever right now.

Safe travels Brad

Last night’s match between the Dogs & Cows was a bit strange to watch with the empty stadium but the game itself was a pretty good standard especially with the beast JT @ his best, I flicked over to the AFL for a minute & their game looks way worse than normal in an empty stadium

The Matty Johns show mentioned that Scumcorp will be playing prerecorded crowd noise tonight, I’m guessing that’s so the Donkeys will continue to win the penalty count
    #itaintweaktospeak

I didn't think it was that bad or different to be honest. Hopefully we get a round 3.

Maybe someone from QLD health can go to the Broncos game and count the amount of people in the stadium and fine them all for failing to be under the 100 if they are going to the extent of having non-essential staff turn up so their players feel special.

Back in HK and in official home quarantine for two weeks. Got a special bracelet that links with an app that tracks movement.

On the topic of crowd lock outs, I've also heard the AFL is more effected. I also guess because their game requires more long shots while Rugby League focuses on the play the ball and really only zooms out for kicks.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that people are supporting the NZ Warriors by signing up for memberships. To support their decision to remain in Australia and continue. For $19.95 NZD, I'm gonna do it too. We can't predict what will happen, but decisions in the interests of the game should be rewarded.

Kia Ora bros. Never thought I'd say this but I'm a Warriors Member now! Stock up the Chilly bin. Sweet as. Haere Ra.

But seriously, I love supporting things like this and promoting a Rugby League family culture. And there are many more ways we can do it in the game.