Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25
    Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    I guess all Sydney teams will be on the move! Maybe our game will be in Qld now
    Or we might move permanently to somewhere like Tamworth for the rest of the season

I didn't think of the immediate impact to the NRL when I hear the news about the shut out of Sydney. How do they do that anyway? Addresses on drivers licenses?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Or we might move permanently to somewhere like Tamworth for the rest of the season
    Hopefully they wouldn’t risk moving teams to nsw.. especially if there is more cases then here and ppl from hotspots can still travel anywhere in nsw.. be safer to have them all here

Inactive User

Inactive User

Junior

Hope this is the right article Mr Bods

NEWS
    SPORT
    ENTERTAINMENT
    BUSINESS
    LIFESTYLE
    REAL ESTATE
    MOTORING
    CLASSIFIEDS
    NewsGOLD COAST

QLD NSW border: Police fear hard closure would leave up to 80 officers stranded on Gold Coast

Man arrested in Coolangatta after dodging border crossing
    Chris McMahon
    Gold Coast Bulletin
    Subscriber only
    August 12, 2020 10:10am
    subscriber-breach-pixel
    POLICE on the New South Wales side of the Queensland borderline fear how they’ll cope if up to 80 of their officers who live on the Gold Coast are blocked by a hard border closure.

The copper conundrum is rearing its head on the Gold Coast, as officers both sides of the border scramble to figure out a plan for a hard closure.

The Bulletin has learnt contingency plans are being organised for a hard border closure scenario by both New South Wales and Queensland police, who have officers from both forces living out of state. It’s considered a when not if scenario.

NSW COMPLEX WHICH CAN ONLY BE ACCESSED FROM QLD

The planning comes amid another 18 cases yesterday in New South Wales, where new infections continue to climb with no known source.

There were no new cases announced in Queensland on Wednesday.

Authorities patrolling the Queensland-New South Wales border. Picture: Nigel Hallett
    It’s understood upwards of 80 serving New South Wales officers live on the Gold Coast, while between 60 and 70 Queensland cops live south of the border in NSW.

MORE NEWS

Palaszczuk’s tough border closure the ‘approach you need’: Palmer

Anti-masker charged with police assault

‘Two enemies in COVID war’: Premier’s grim NZ warning

And if Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young’s warning on Monday to people living and working either side of the border is to be believed, those officers could become stuck.

“I think every single person who lives in any of those border communities in either Queensland or NSW needs to think what will I do, what will my family do if the border closes because there are cases spreading north from Sydney,” she said.

A police officer at the border blockade gestures to traffic. Picture: Nigel Hallett
    A source within New South Wales police told the Bulletin the border closure would cause all sorts of headaches across the border.

“We’re heavily impacted by the border, if there’s a hard closure, we’ve got about 80 police that live on the Coast, how do we work?” they said.

COMMENT: WHY BORDER COULD BE CLOSED FOR YEARS

“Currently you’ve got the bubble that is halfway through our police district, so we’ve got cops living in Queensland, who can’t go past the Tweed shire.

“You can’t expect police living in Queensland to leave their families behind. If they do a hard border closure, where do we get 80 cops from?”

It’s understood a lot of NSW resources that could have been used to cover the Tweed have been pushed down to the Victorian border.

A border checkpoint at Miles St, Coolangatta. Picture: Glenn Hampson
    NSW police declined to comment on the resourcing and border issues.

It’s understood there are between 60 and 70 Queensland Police officers who live over the border, with contingency planning currently under way to figure out what to do with those officers if there is a hard border closure.

This article contains content that is only available in the web version

Open the web version

Queensland Health also did not answer questions about whether officers would receive exemptions to go and work over the border, although they said they currently cannot travel out of the bubble.

BULLETIN VIEW: MORE NIMBLE APPROACH NEEDED

“The COVID-19 pandemic is a rapidly evolving situation and decisions are based on the latest health advice,” a Queensland Health spokesman said.

“Officers who live and work within the border zone can travel freely between New South Wales and Queensland within the border zone, provided they do not leave the border zone, or have been in a COVID-19 hotspot outside the border zone.”

Read Comments

A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites. Find out more about our policy and your choices including how to opt-out.

Help
    More News Corp Sites
    Privacy Policy
    Subscription Terms
    Digital Print Edition
    Contact Us
    Terms of Use
    Relevant Ads Opt-out
    Cookie Policy
    Copyright 2015 News Limited. All times AEST (GMT +10:00).

Inactive User

Thanks JA
    A hard border closure could put me and my family into a situation I don’t want to even contemplate

First Grader

They need to absorbed the Tweed past Kingscliff or even caba. Doing a border closure where the borders are is absolutely ridiculous and will win neither premier any votes from people in these areas.

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys confirms 'things will go back to normal' for 2021 NRL season
    WRITTEN BY
    LIAM O'LOUGHLIN
    @ljoloughlin
    Peter V'landys
    LEAGUE
    LEAGUE
    The 2020 NRL season was the most unique in recent memory, that much is for sure.
    Postponed after two rounds, returning into allocated 'bubbles', limits on crowd numbers and no second-tier competitions.
    It truly was all happening.
    But according to the man who made it all possible, Peter V'landys, things will be much more 'normal' heading into 2021.
    MORE: Panthers legend's major concern over Crichton
    With plenty of clubs returning to pre-season training in the coming weeks, many are wondering what next year's NRL season will look like in regards to COVID protocols and the like.
    Speaking to Andrew Voss on SEN Radio, the powerful ARL Commission boss V'landys said that if things remain they are, it will be all-systems go moving forward.
    “We’re going to go back to normal next season," he said.
    "We have experienced COVID, we know how to handle COVID, and I don’t think the protocols will be as strict. There is a possibility now of a vaccine, and that changes the whole thing completely.
    "We always base our decisions on the data – at the moment we are very fortunate at the moment that our community infections are zero. And while they are zero, we can live our lives normally.
    "We have been through the worst of COVID in Australia with our protocols, and we have proven that we can continue to play while COVID is there with a high community infection.
    "We can run the whole season and go back to normal."
    V'landys comments would make it seem as though the NRL would go back to 25 rounds as opposed to 20, and he also confirmed that Origin would be played mid-season as per previous years.
    Outside of those in the QLD and NSW Origin camps, players are out of the bubble and will not be required to re-enter a bubble for pre-season training due to the lack of community transmission of COVID across the country.
    MORE: Veteran playmaker backflips on 2021 move
    As for how the 2020 season affected the NRL and its clubs, V'landys is confident they are in a far better position than first expected and ensured no clubs would be in danger moving forward.
    “It has definitely come at a cost because the clubs haven’t been able to have the crowds there early in the season. We haven’t really been able to make any catering revenue; some of them rely on licensed clubs and they were shut down," he said.
    "They have certainly done it very hard, but the good news is the NRL has stepped in and increased the funding to the clubs. It is the bigger clubs that have actually suffered – they haven’t been able to get the crowds in, they haven’t been able to rely on merchandising and they haven’t been able to rely on the leagues clubs.
    "We’re hoping that at the NRL we can give sufficient funds to them, and they can stay whole. The good news is, we have not had to borrow any money whatsoever to run the season.
    "That is a great achievement and we have been able to see it through. Hopefully next year, we will be able to start in a positive position.
    “We need to aggregate what the clubs have lost, but the NRL has done reasonably well. I think that the loss is only the tens of millions, rather than in the hundreds of millions.
    “No, not at all (clubs being in danger). As I’ve said, rugby league is like a family – if one of the members of your family go down, you help them. That is exactly what we will do.
    "The clubs have realistically done very well, they have been able to meet the challenge of COVID."

—————————

This is an interesting read. Particularly on the back of today’s news that there COULD be a potential COVID vaccine by early next year. As fans and me owe need to watch patiently going forward to see how this plays out. However fingers crossed for the world we all can move on in 2021 with some confidence.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Australia and the NRL have been so lucky. Especially compared to the UK and Super League. What a mess.

I think and hope we will have a vaccine in the first quarter of the new year too. I hope it is effective.

I'm also happy if Origin returns to mid-year and the International footy can take its rightful place in October and November.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER