Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

It maybe a new season but its still the same players disappointing. So to reserve judgement till later seems strange considering we have been able to make judgement based on what we have seen from the same failures for two years and coming into a third.

Happy to have egg on my face but when Wallace dropped that first hit up all hope left my body that he is anything but the same bum as last year. List goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    It maybe a new season but its still the same players disappointing. So to reserve judgement till later seems strange considering we have been able to make judgement based on what we have seen from the same failures for two years and coming into a third.

Happy to have egg on my face but when Wallace dropped that first hit up all hope left my body that he is anything but the same bum as last year. List goes on.
    Happy to agree to disagree. I think that new coaching staff, new structure, new combinations and having viewed only 80 minutes of football against one of the best sides in the comp is reasonable grounds to reserve judgement on certain player's place in the team for now.

Agree that watching Wallace was frustrating and I'd say he doesn't have long to prove himself with Mo back in the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Happy to agree to disagree. I think that new coaching staff, new structure, new combinations and having viewed only 80 minutes of football against one of the best sides in the comp is reasonable grounds to reserve judgement on certain player's place in the team for now.

Agree that watching Wallace was frustrating and I'd say he doesn't have long to prove himself with Mo back in the frame.
    Completely see your point, I hope that it doesn't take another 80 mins of Taylors and Cartwrights defense for action to come from the coaches box. Problem there is that our bench doesn't allow for changes on the run. Our extended bench has Stone ahead of Farmer and our coach is looking forward to S Boyd returning. If the NRL shuts down, first thing Holbrook needs to do is watch every Titans game from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    first thing Holbrook needs to do is watch every Titans game from last year.
    I wish it was that easy. I am sure he has watched games from last year but that was when they were playing under a coach that they didn't like and he has stated that he is happy with the roster.
    I think he will persist with them for a bit longer unfortunately, until he proves to himself that he can't make them better.
    I watched Holbrook's interview on NRL 360 and when he was asked what was required to unlock Ash he said that Ash needed to want to improve. Will be very interesting to see if he can get Taylor back to his best but I have my doubts.

Same mistake other coaches have made and the club ended up siding with the riff raff that have done nothing for a couple of years at the expense of the coach. Not say Brennan hurt us but he is far less toxic than the players are.

Titans v Eels: Peachey on bench; Arthur retains same 17
    https://www.nrl.com/

It's only round two but the Titans have to make a statement on home turf after going down to the Raiders last week.

They looked like they were in for a hiding at half-time but a couple of positional changes worked in their favour and rookie coach Justin Holbrook will be looking to build on what was a promising second-half performance.

Titans fans endured a miserable 2019 campaign and might quickly lose interest in 2020 if they don't like what they see on Sunday night.

The Eels opened their 2020 campaign with a win over the Bulldogs but had to fight every inch of the way and will be looking to improve in a few areas against the Titans.

Team news
    Titans: Tyrone Peachey has been dropped to the bench, with Brian Kelly getting the nod to start in the centres. Moeaki Fotuaika has taken Jaiman Jolliffe's place on the bench, while AJ Brimson (back) and Shannon Boyd (shoulder) are a chance to return on Sunday after being included as reserves.

Eels: Coach Brad Arthur would've been pleased to see none of his players picked up any injuries in the bruising round one clash with the Bulldogs. Parra will line up with the same 17-man team.

Key match-up
    Ash Taylor had some bright moments against the Raiders but probably wasn't involved enough in the first half when the game got away from the Titans. Mitch Moses wasn't able to put his stamp on the game against the Bulldogs in the manner he would've liked and will be keen for an improved showing against Taylor.

Where it'll be won and lost
    The battle of the halves could be decisive, while Holbrook has to give Tyrone Peachey the green light to trust his instincts and take what the defence gives him. The Titans have to match Parra up front and look for Phil Sami to create space with his lethal left step. The Eels will be looking for big wingers Blake Ferguson and Maika Sivo to get involved as often as possible, while speedy centres Michael Jennings and Waqa Blake have to be closely marked.

Brett Kimmorley says
    I didn't see anything from the Titans last week that suggested much has changed. They missed a lot of tackles, and I think once you highlight that on a video Parramatta can take advantage. The Eels were poor as well in round one, but they'll have a higher completion rate this game I imagine. If they earn the right to play football, I think they've got plenty of points in them. Eels by 14.

Stat Attack
    Mitch Moses had a perfect day with the boot in last year's only game between the Eels and Titans, kicking six from six. Parra led 12-6 at half-time in that round 22 clash and overpowered the home team after the break to prevail 36-12. Mid-season recruit Waqa Blake scored twice for the Eels.

And another thing…
    Justin Holbrook is the Titans' seventh coach since the club joined the NRL in 2007. John Cartwright was in charge from 2007-14, followed by Neil Henry (2014-17). Garth Brennan was at the helm in 2018 and a portion of 2019, while Craig Hodges (2017, '19), Luke Burt ('19) and Terry Matterson ('17) have all had short stints as interim coaches.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Five big NRL questions for the Gold Coast Titans for Round 2
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

THE single biggest question for the Titans for Round 2 may be around the impact of a stadium lockout and coronavirus, the Bulletin looks at five on-field queries that need answering.

UTILITY VALUE

Mitch Rein and Nathan Peats shared the hooking duties in Round 1 but can this continue all season?

With outside back Brian Kelly on the bench, plus the fact Tyrone Peachey can play just about anywhere, and there are a few puzzle pieces that need sorting.

YOUNG GUNS

Yes, Ryan James was missing and so the heat falls on the other senior heads like Kevin Proctor and Tyrone Roberts.

But if we learnt anything from Round 1 it’s that Phillip Sami (pictured) is improving and AJ Brimson, if we didn’t already suspect it, is the club’s best attacking weapon despite sitting out the contest.

So how do the Titans make the most of these exciting talents?

“They are the future of our club and the guys we want to keep hold of. We were missing keys guys in Round 1 but I’m confident with our players,” rookie Titans coach Justin Holbrook said.

HALF THE BATTLE

Beyond any questions about Ash Taylor is the fact the club must find the right combo in their spine.

Is Brimson (pictured, right) better in the halves?

If so, what happens to Tyrone Roberts (pictured, left) or Taylor?

Give it a few more rounds but pressure will build quickly as to who should play where.

SLOW START

For all the hard work in pre-season, the opening phase against the Raiders was bad.

The slow start continued a sorry trend from last season, one which often saw the Titans slip behind early and fail to truly recover.

So how do you address that?

“It was definitely disappointing. Prior to the game we had done everything right,” Holbrook said on Fox League’s NRL 360.

“We got it wrong early in the first 15 minutes and that cost us.

“To start the way we did was disappointing. We looked like we weren’t ready to play. If you don’t start well I think it’s your preparation.”

TAYLOR’S TARGET

Like it or not, the Titans halfback is a marked man by rivals and his own fans.

Ash Taylor didn’t enjoy the best start to the season against the Raiders so mercilessly, he will be bombarded with questions about his own form until he’s considered to be paying his way. “He’s got to help himself,” coach Holbrook said this week.

“His pre-season has been great and he’s changed his diet and he’s working hard. All the evidence is there that he’s going to have a great season. I need more from him and he knows that.”

Five Talking Points - Titans vs Eels
    https://www.titans.com.au/

Head Coach Justin Holbrook has had his final say ahead of tomorrow’s match against the Parramatta Eels at Cbus Super Stadium.

Here are five talking points ahead of the clash:

1. Team Changes

It looks like the side will be 1-17 with last year’s Paul Broughton Medal winner Moeaki Fotuaika set to make his first appearance of season 2020.

“Yeah, everyone is good and we’re right for tomorrow’s game,” Holbrook said.

“He’s sweet which is great. He’s raring to go.

“He’s had a good couple of weeks of training and he’ll be a great addition for us this week.”

2. The coronavirus pandemic

“Nothing’s changed other than us taking more precautions around us doing things here.

“Once we get in here everything is normal which is great.

“When they (the players) go home they need to take more precautions in that area but in terms of when we’re here it’s just a normal week.

3. What needs to change after last week

“We didn’t start the game well and that’s definitely what we need to improve on.

“Collectively we all need to play better than last week which is real important.

“The preparation is different because we’re not travelling. We probably didn’t handle that well as a group last week.

“In terms of this week we’re at home so it’s a different scenario for us. We’ll be ready to go.”

4. No members and fans in attendance

“I think it might be running out (a bit different). I think players just get on with it.

“There have been some really good games already this weekend and we’re expecting no different tomorrow.

“The crowds are a great addition (to our game) but without them the game still goes on and it’s great for our game that it is.”

5. The dangers from Parramatta

“They’re a great side, they showed it last year. They’ve got strike all across the park and we know we’ll need to match them, which we’re planning on doing.

“They’ve got a good pack of forwards who like to offload the footy. (Mitch) Moses is doing a real good job and had a good season last year. He’s come out of the blocks well this year as well.

“There is strike across the park and they’ve got fair wingers as well.

“For us it’s about being proud of the way we play. We let ourselves down last week and we have a chance to turn it around tomorrow.”

Rep Player

Game day, fellas. I'm still looking forward to watching our boys amidst all the doom and gloom. I know it's a "rebuilding" phase (yes, we've been rebuilding for 10 years) but I still enjoying watching and looking for those week-in-week-out signs of improvement even if I anticipate a loss.

I’m with you Willy ... very much looking forward to the game
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Those tackle stats indicate to me that we weren’t utilising Rein properly. 53 tackles is a huge amount so it’s no wonder he was making errors towards the end of the game. For me, Rein is most effective coming off the bench with his darts out of dummy half. This means Peats starts, tackles his heart out, and Rein comes on around 20-25 mins.

Yea I feel like peats should start when his strengths are his defence and intensity while reins best attribute is his running game so he should come on after 20 and oaky till like the 60th minute or something