Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Friday will test Bodsie’s “no pressure on the coach” philosophy ... can’t wait myself on many levels. At least I can blame the virus.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Apologies ... double post

Holbrook gives enigmatic Titans licence to skill
    http://www.nrl.com

Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook has given the Titans a licence to skill in 2020 as he looks to bring out the best attacking talents of some of the NRL’s most talented yet maligned players.

The Titans were ranked 15th in the NRL for points scored last season but Holbrook has spent the entire summer conducting “mini-skills” sessions with players to ensure they have the confidence and ability to play to their strengths.

With a team boasting mercurial talents like Ashley Taylor, Tyrone Peachey and Bryce Cartwright, Holbrook knows the best way to achieve scoring success is to allow those dangerous players to enjoy a freedom few coaches accept in the days of structured rugby league.

Those three Titans in particular have a proven ability to be gamebreakers on their day but have come under fierce criticism in recent years for not delivering such performances on a consistent basis.

Holbrook will demand his team stick to their defensive structures, but when they have the ball in hand he is willing to take the good with the bad in order to get the best result for his team.

“I think you’ve got to have a structure to know what to do but I want them to have the freedom to play,” Holbrook said.

“I think we’ve got such a skilful side here and we showed some of that in the Nines and we showed it against Brisbane and I don’t want to cap the guys from playing.

“I think that is where you’ve got the variables that can happen when you’ve got the ball.

“I think defensively you can’t (move away from structure), you’ve got to know what you’re doing there and work really hard in that area, but in terms of attack we’ve got some real strike there and we want them to play.”

Holbrook expected his team to embrace their underdog status in 2020, even if there is a strong belief in the squad that their four-win season last year was not a true reflection of their ability.

“Obviously where we finished last year we will be underdogs so it doesn’t worry me,” he said.

“I don’t care if we’re favourites or not favourites, it’s about playing well on the day. That’s all we worry about.

“I think we’re equal with everyone in the competition, I think all 16 teams have shown that.

“We’ve seen some lopsided seasons. Parramatta a couple of years ago struggled then they jump out of the box last year."

The Titans will line up as named when they face Canberra on Friday night, with prop Moeaki Fotuaika a chance to return next week while fullback AJ Brimson could miss several more weeks with a stress fracture in his back.

“I’m probably more frustrated than AJ. We can’t help it. It’s just one of those things... you can’t keep pushing him because it makes it worse,” Holbrook said.

“We just have to keep trying to let it settle as quick as it can then get him out there when we can.

“Some days it’s really good and other days it’s not. It’s hard to play a game of rugby league if you’ve got a sore back so it’s not ideal that’s for sure."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Five Things To Watch
    http://www.titans.com.au

Titans Head Coach Justin Holbrook discusses five hot topics ahead of tomorrow night’s season-opening clash with the Canberra Raiders at GIO Stadium.

1. The battle for the No.9 jersey between Mitch Rein and Nathan Peats

I think they are both very good players with different strengths, but Mitch has just got his nose in front there I guess. He has been terrific for us all pre-season. He is a great little competitor, as is Peatsy. There wasn’t much in it (between the two), but (Rein) got the start.

2. Injury update on AJ Brimson and Moeaki Fotuaika

(Brimson’s injury) is a tricky one. We just have to get his back to settle. Some days it is really good, and others days it’s not. It is a hard game to play, rugby league, if you’ve got a sore back.

It is not ideal that’s for sure. He is a great player, I think he is a real livewire – and one of the best players in the NRL I think he will be. But we just can’t get him on the field. I don’t know a timeframe yet.

I think (he is frustrated). I am probably more frustrated than him. We can’t help it.

It is hard because you can’t keep pushing him, because it makes it worse. So we have got to try to let it settle as quick as it can and then we will get him out there when we can.

I don’t think (it will be months). I hope not! It should only be a couple of weeks probably.

(Fotuaika) is a good chance (of playing next week). He has been training great with us and probably could have played this weekend.

But he hasn’t had a great pre-season, so we are giving him another week. He is a good chance next week.

3. What he’s expecting from the Raiders

They had a great year last year, they nearly won the competition. We are expecting a tough game, that is for sure.

I am not expecting them to play too differently when they have had success like that.

They do have a number of changes, which I think is good for us. It is a good time to get the opportunity to play them down there.

They are still a very dangerous side. (Josh) Hodgson and Jack Wighton are two fantastic players, and they have a big forward pack.

So even though they have had a few changes, the guys they have brought in are good as well. We know it is going to be a tough game.

4. Embracing the underdog tag

We have no choice, have we? Where we finished (in 2019), we are obviously going to be underdogs.

It doesn’t worry me. I don’t care if we are favourites, if we’re not favourites. It is about playing well on the day, and that is all I worry about

5. The Titans’ style of play – natural game vs structure

I think both is important. You have got to have a structure to know what to do, but then I want them to have the freedom to play.

We have such a skilful side here. We showed some of that in the Nines, and we showed it against Brisbane. I don’t want to cap the guys from playing.

You’ve got the variables you can apply when you have the ball. Defensively you can’t – you have to know what you are doing there. We have worked really hard in that area.

But in terms of attack, we have some real strike there, and I want them to play.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Make sure you have a full scotch bottle for Friday Bods.
    I actually do have an unopened bottle JB. Post win GC Scotch’s are a beautiful thing

It’s game day! Can’t wait to see how we go.. also interested to see how the league responds to this coronavirus stuff.. if they are going to suspend it or not

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    It’s game day! Can’t wait to see how we go.. also interested to see how the league responds to this coronavirus stuff.. if they are going to suspend it or not
    Yeah. Things are changing very rapidly. We gotta have our sports though. NBA/NHL two sports down already that I follow pretty closely especially NBA. Depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Yeah. Things are changing very rapidly. We gotta have our sports though. NBA/NHL two sports down already that I follow pretty closely especially NBA. Depressing.
    Australian Grand Prix now cancelled too. First major cancellation here...

Game day boys and girls. Hard not to be excited.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

No spectators at the ODI today too... Will there be a Viking Clap tonight?

Yeh, I wonder if they will call of the season or just play to empty stadiums.. will impact the clubs greatly financially

I wonder whether the NRL will try and sneak through this round before the government shuts the stadiums. Interesting to see what will happen with season ticket holders etc.

It'd be a damn shame to see crowds shut out. But if it is necessary, I support it. Hopefully, at worst we will see games played in closed stadiums so the footy can continue.

If you are headed to the footy yourself. I recommend wearing a mask. I credit that and the use of hand sanitizer and the SARS experience in reasons why Hong Kong has so far kept things under control.

Wearing Titans-themed masks should become our club persona and we could adapt the lyrics of Monster Mash or Time Warp to become our much awaited club anthem.

“let’s do the Titans walk again ... it’s just a jump to the left .... “

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    It'd be a damn shame to see crowds shut out. But if it is necessary, I support it. Hopefully, at worst we will see games played in closed stadiums so the footy can continue.

If you are headed to the footy yourself. I recommend wearing a mask. I credit that and the use of hand sanitizer and the SARS experience in reasons why Hong Kong has so far kept things under control.
    The only issue I see with wearing masks and using hand sanitiser is that you can't buy P2 masks and hand sanitser.