Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Considering this is an away game, anyone wanna catch up to watch the game together?

I'll be back in Oz.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Love your team JB and I would vote for it ... the only issue is Crystal Copley and Kelly are left centres but I'm a fan of both and not much else. Kelly/Copley on the left and Watkins (you've got to think he's got something more than he showed us last season)/Sami or Pearson on the right ... sorry the Donster but your misreads in defence and little skips at the line puts you out.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Some insight into our round 1 line up.

Titans face tense wait on Boyd, Brimson for Raiders clash
    Author
    Joel Gould
    NRL.com Reporter
    Timestamp
    Tue 3 Mar 2020, 10:01 AM
    Joel Gould

Gold Coast are sweating on the fitness of giant prop Shannon Boyd for round one and he's not Justin Holbrook's only injury concern.

The Titans coach said he would know more later in the week about the availability of Boyd (shoulder), AJ Brimson (back) and Moeaki Fotuaika (wrist and knee) for trip to Canberra next Friday.

Boyd is determined to get himself fit to play his former club after losing seven kilos in the off-season leading into what looms as a critical year for the former Test forward.

The 27-year-old behemoth had a shoulder operation last year and in a cruel blow reinjured it in the Titans' first trial.

"I am worried because you want everyone fit. We don't want to start round one with a few guys out," Holbrook said.

"I got [Boyd] some game time against Burleigh but he aggravated his shoulder a bit. If it settles down a bit he will play round one, but I'm not too sure yet.

"We've just got to get his match fitness up as quick as we can. He is trying really hard. He's lost a lot of weight and when he is fit he will be a big part of our team.

"He is a real enforcer and I expect him to play that part for us."

Holbrook said the Titans took a lot of confidence out of the 28-22 comeback win over the Broncos in the trial at Redcliffe on Saturday night where former Warriors prop Sam Lisone impressed with his leg speed and his charges into the line.

"He is really important for us after losing Ryan James for the year. Sam's come over and I thought he was terrific for us on the weekend," Holbrook said.

"It is exactly what we need, that point of difference, and he'll slot in nicely."

Brimson will play fullback against Canberra if available despite Phillip Sami performing well in the No.1 jersey against Brisbane.

"[AJ] has got a sore back so we backed off his workload to get him right for round one," Holbrook said.

"I am hoping it settles down this week and we can ramp him up next week.

"Phil was great for us but AJ has been fantastic in the pre-season. The last few weeks we've had him in rehab but hopefully if he is right then he will play."

Sami will play on one wing against Canberra and Holbrook said Anthony Don and Jonus Pearson would battle it out for the other spot on the flank.

Mitch Rein has all but wrapped up the starting hooker's role after a stellar pre-season, which he continued against the Broncos.

"Obviously there's him and Peatsy [Nathan Peats] and Erin Clark knocking on the door too," Holbrook said.

"They are all good hookers and bring different things but I think Mitch, the way he has trained and played, is just in front."

The way the Titans played in the NRL Nines and in the trial win over Brisbane has heartened Holbrook.

"We just want to make sure we compete every weekend. I know it was only a trial but we got ourselves in a tough spot last week and fought our way out of it," he said.

"That is the sort of side I want us to be and that our fans want to come and watch."

I appreciate Holbrook being honest, I found his quotes worth reading.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Curtis Scott Gree to play for raiders

Rep Player

I'm so unbelievably excited for this season to start. I'm optimistic that we will show some serious signs of improvement this year. I really think Brennan was a dud coach and our squad is much better than a 4-21 last place finish. Can't wait to see what Triple J (Justin, Jim & Jim) have done with our boys.

FOUR (4) YES THAT’S ONLY FOUR MORE SLEEPS TO GO ...

Team list Tuesday tomorrow. Yeeeewwww.

Can’t wait for this team list.. apparently brimson and s Boyd are not available this week.. so I’m guessing Sami to full back

NRL.com Preview - Raiders v Titans: Curtis cleared; Coast trio racing clock
    Troy Whittaker - NRL.com

While Canberra came so close to completing a fairytale run last year, the Gold Coast lived out a nightmare.

But the slate is now clean again for both sides, with the Raiders dealing with added expectations and the Titans full of renewed hope.

Despite reaching the grand final, Canberra weren't that dominant at home with only five wins at GIO Stadium in 2019.

Meanwhile, wooden spooners the Gold Coast won just four matches all season and claiming a big scalp on the road to kick-off 2020 would be a huge confidence boost.

Raiders: Curtis Scott, who is facing several police charges, has been given permission to play by the NRL. Ex-Super League star George Williams will make his NRL debut at halfback but two other Englishmen are sidelined. Test second-rower John Bateman (shoulder) isn't expected back until at least round six, while prop Ryan Sutton copped a one-match ban for a shoulder charge in the final trial against Parramatta. Hudson Young is suspended until round six due to an eye-gouging incident last year.

Titans: AJ Brimson (back), Moeaki Fotuaika (knee) and Shannon Boyd (shoulder) are in doubt but the trio are confident they'll be fit. Firebrand forward Keegan Hipgrave's immediate future is clouded as he works to come back from three concussions last year. Ryan James suffered another season-ending ACL injury in January.

Key match-up
    George Williams v Ash Taylor. An English with a point to prove up against still-young playmaker who also has a point to prove. This season will see very move of both men watched closely.

For the Raiders to win
    Like last season, defence is the key for Canberra. An average of 15.8 conceded points per game laid the foundations for their success. With a new playmaker in George Williams, the Raiders will need time for new combinations to gel, making their work without the ball paramount.

For the Titans to win
    The dynamic likes of Ash Taylor and AJ Brimson (if fit) are critical to the cause. The Titans looked good throwing the ball around at the NRL Nines and some slick attacking footy could shock Canberra. And to state the obvious, the Gold Coast will have to show more resolve when the going gets tough.

Brett Kimmorley says
    I think Canberra are probably the easiest winners to pick this week. They'll be motivated after losing last year's grand final and they got the good news that Curtis Scott is able to play. The Titans should be better than 2019, and I like new coach Justin Holbrook, but I'm not sure they have the talent to match the top teams. Raiders by 10.

Stat Attack
    The Raiders are looking for a new designated field goal exponent after Aidan Sezer left for the UK. Sezer and James Maloney led the NRL with four field goals apiece last season. Canberra fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad topped the NRL in kick return metres (1786).

And another thing ...
    If the Gold Coast are looking for an omen they need search no further than the opening round of 2018 when they came back from 18-0 down after 13 minutes to beat the Raiders 30-28 at Cbus Super Stadium. The equal biggest comeback in Titans history was iced by a Konrad Hurrell try in the 77th minute.

Junior

Titans: 1. Phillip Sami 2. Anthony Don 3. Kallum Watkins 4. Tyrone Peachey 5. Dale Copley 6. Tyrone Roberts 7. Ash Taylor 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Mitch Rein 10. Sam Lisone 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. Jai Arrow 14. Nathan Peats 15. Jai Whitbread 16. Brian Kelly 17. Jaimin Jolliffe 18. Sam Stone 19. Jonus Pearson 20. Moeaki Fotuaika 21. Alexander Brimson

Lineup Round 1
    1. Sami
    2. Don
    3. Watkins
    4. Peachey
    5. Copley
    6. Roberts
    7. Taylor
    8. Wallace
    9. Rein
    10. Lisone
    11. Proctor
    12. Cartwright
    13. Arrow

14. Peats
    15. Whitbread
    16. Kelly
    17. Joliffe

18. Pearson
    19. Brimson
    20. Fotuaika

Few surprises/shocks in there. Kelly on the bench...

Joliffe is on a development contract isn’t he? Must have got dispensation but happy to see him there though. Horrible to see Peats and Don. Won’t whinge too much though, new coach, new attitude and no expectations except have a dig.

Kelly does struggle to stick when he’s defending but am surprised he didn’t get the nod. How good is it to see Joliffe roll into the 17.

Happy to trust the coaching staff, they see a lot more of the players than we do.

Interesting that SBoyd is omitted due to injury but Mo & AJ are on an extended bench. Could they still be a chance?

Not sure I like that line up.. not rating peats much, kelly on the bench and peachy in the centre? Wtf? Peachy couldn’t play centre last year at all, everything went through him! Pearson should be on for Copley, dont rate Copley that much.. I like jollife on the bench.. not sure how this is all going to work but we shall see