Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

I watched the game twice, 2nd time is easier without any emotions & I would suggest others try it because it’s round 1 & we played last year’s bridesmaids who will be very hard to beat again

Great game from Sammi & the Peach along with the rookie Jolliffe looked good too, Taylor wasn’t all bad except for his defensive decisions at times but I think there’s some obvious changes required
    Mo starts
    Boyd on the bench for our professional imposter in Wallace
    Peach for Roberts
    Kelly starts
    Pearson for Don
    Peats (looked hungrier) for Rein
    Tanah for Peats on the bench he is our future no14
    #itaintweaktospeak

Geez what a start to the year...

Can someone answer me why we spent the whole pre season (according to people that went to trainings) with Peachey training at 6 and Kelly at centre only to switch everything completely and throw the whole line up out?

I know the injuries hurt us too but changes have to be made next week. Peachey to 6, Kelly to left centre, Mo back with Lisone off the bench, Peats to 9, and maybe even Copley/Don out for Pearson. In Holbrook we trust but his first team list was worrying...

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Geez what a start to the year...

Can someone answer me why we spent the whole pre season (according to people that went to trainings) with Peachey training at 6 and Kelly at centre only to switch everything completely and throw the whole line up out?

I know the injuries hurt us too but changes have to be made next week. Peachey to 6, Kelly to left centre, Mo back with Lisone off the bench, Peats to 9, and maybe even Copley/Don out for Pearson. In Holbrook we trust but his first team list was worrying...
    When I went to training in January Roberts was 5/8 and Peachey was training at Lock and later on at 2nd row. Kelly was training at Centre.

Junior

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...5653795fc58a6e

Found it on the gc bulletin page bods

Inactive User

^^^^ thanks very much

I’m very much with Pete on this performance ... I’m not shattered by any stretch except the residual bad taste from last season in some of the selections and the 40 minute long slow start. I doubt the coach will change much next week but I live in hope. Chill everybody and welcome Gary the big E
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Hey Guys

I used to post here a bit in the last days of Cartwright, and have suffered in silence ever since. Just wanted to share my thoughts on Ash after last night.

On what he has shown last night and the last dozen or so first grade matches, he is simply not a NRL player and it all comes down to his unwillingness to get hit or even physical - he is contact shy and while he remains that way he will offer nothing.

Last night 90% of the time he played the ball between 4-6m behind the advantage line and shuffled sideways, at this level a half must run the ball to the line to give his runners any chance. Ash refuses to do it.

IMO he needs to go down a grade immediately to address this, I just can’t see how he will ever make that adjustment at this level and while he continues to play like this he is a passenger (not even factoring in defence) and the team will struggle.
    Last edited by MJF; 14-03-20 at 01:31 PM.

Good to see a couple of new or returning posters to the forum. Welcome, whether you’re positive or negative, living in hope or dying in despair I hope you keep posting your thoughts.

Hard game to watch...but that is because the off season seemed long and I was wanting to see the team really fire.

I reckon the coach will take a lot from that game. He got to see with his own eyes how the players respond under pressure...in the heat of an actual NRL game, against a very good opposition. Now we get to see how the coach reacts!

The little trick shots (Ash passing to Carty for the kick etc) need to be binned for the time being. I know there was talk of how many attacking players we have in the side in the off season...but now isn't the time to try and score points flamboyantly.

What we need to do now is roll up our sleeves and put in the hard work...with enthusiasm and energy! Like Jolliffe and Liso. We all know points flow off the back of hard work.

Our defensive structures still need work... but that's on the players. You can train well all week, but if you lose faith in the bloke standing next to you in the defensive line in the actual game...it all unravels pretty quickly. (attack and defence)

Justin and the Jims have some work to do before Parra. And some decisions to make!

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by MJF View Post
    Hey Guys

On what he has shown night the last dozen or so first grade matches, he is simply not a NRL player and it all comes down to his unwillingness to get hit or even physical - he is contact shy and why he remains that way he will offer nothing.
    This is exactly how I felt after the first half, I thought he was gone for the season. To Ash's credit I think he looked I lot better in the second half. He showed his class with the pass out to Don to score and was also good in the lead up to Don dropping that sitter of a try.

The problem I have with Ash is he always looks to other people to do it for him. He probably has the highest ceiling out of all the players at the club if he is playing well, yet he's willing to just pass the ball on and take a beat seat. If I was the coach I'd be taking all of his handbrakes away, starting with Roberts, and make him steer the team around.

For me Roberts is the ultimate gift from Brennan that just keeps on giving. He was average at best at Newcastle and we bring him here and put him on a pedestal. He's never been dropped despite countless bad performances and to make things worst he's also injury prone. I don't understand why people can't see just how average he his.

I'b be bringing in Boyd to partner Ash and make Ash play first receiver. What I like about both of them is that they straighten the attack. When the first movement from a play maker is sideways then then whole defensive line can shift and bounce out, limiting any space that the outside backs have. I'd also drop Cartwright to the bench so Ash is forced to kick early in the game and get involved right from the first set.

My 17 for next week would be:

1. Sami
    2. Pearson
    3. Watkins
    4. Kelly
    5. GL
    6. Boyd
    7. Taylor
    8. Lisone
    9. Peats
    10. Joliffe
    11. Proctor
    12. Farmer
    13. Arrow

14. Peachey
    15. Joliffe
    16. Wallace
    17. Cartwright

It's time to pull the changes and actually give the players that we have developed and brought here a crack. Why wait to round 10 until the season is over. Cartwright and Wallace (in particular) would also be on their last chances. We deserve better as fans than the same old slop every week.

A bit tough on Rein after his strong pre season but performances like that can't go unpunished.
    Last edited by NZFan; 14-03-20 at 10:48 AM.

I know everyone is bagging Cartwright and you have an argument, but I think we should persist. Yes he made some dumb errors, but they were from trying too hard. He just needs to know when to take his chances and would be better off the bench as a strike weapon. The problem is we lack creativity from the halves and as a result peachey and Cartwright feel as though they have to create everything. His defence wasn't as bad as everyone is saying and Taylor needs to own some of that. I was more disappointed with rein and his service from dummy half. Forward passes on tackle 1, 10 metres out are inexcusable in my opinion. Crippled us a few times.

NZFan you’ve got Jolliffe in 10 and 15.

QLD Cup

True, was meant to say Boyd. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MJF View Post
    Just wanted to share my thoughts on Ash after last night.

On what he has shown night the last dozen or so first grade matches, he is simply not a NRL player and it all comes down to his unwillingness to get hit or even physical - he is contact shy and why he remains that way he will offer nothing.

Last night 90% of the time he played the ball between 4-6m behind the advantage line and shuffled sideways, at this level a half must run the ball to the line to give his runners any chance. Ash refuses to do it.
    100%. First it was a maturity issue, then it was a confidence issue, recently he "has more to play for" and he has been talking about personal pride, but I think it's just that he is contact shy and he wont grow out of that with time alone. Either he is forced to endure contact by the coach, or we will forever have a half playing well before the line and defensive opposition can read it miles away and kills any momentum.

[QUOTE=C-Whiz;401890]100%. First it was a maturity issue, then it was a confidence issue, recently he "has more to play for" and he has been talking about personal pride, but I think it's just that he is contact shy and he wont grow out of that with time alone. Either he is forced to endure contact by the coach, or we will forever have a half playing well before the line and defensive opposition can read it miles away and kills any momentum.[/QUOTE
    Remember when Taylor 10 metres out meant a lovely kick try assist? Running to the line and his short kicking game was unstoppable. Where has that gone? And why?