Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2020 preseason

[QUOTE=NZFan;401242]We are looking pretty thin on the bench as far as forwards go. /QUOTE]

Fullback worries me also as we head into the season. Sami as the backup is a worry.
    I think Peachey is the best 14 in the NRL and as such covers a lot of positions for us there.
    Hooker, well I hate having 2 hookers in the 17. It's a waste IMO BUT with Peachey there you can start with Peats for the early defensive load and then after 20 he sits down for the game unless Rein is injured or a forward goes down. I hope young Clark goes gangbusters and forces his way in.
    Then there is Tanah Boyd who can also cover hooker and the half's so we are in a really great position in regards to the 14 jersey.
    Pearson will hopefully fire and force his way in also and that will leave Don as a reliable backup if injury strikes.

Inactive User

We still have Mo/Boyd to add to the 17 and Brimson will be right for round 1.
    I’d like to give Luke Page a one year contract if he’s keen. I don’t know if he is.
    He’d be good back up for the back up and bring great culture.

Gold Coast Titans 2020 season preview
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2020/...eason-preview/

Patience is not something often afforded football clubs but the Gold Coast the Titans have made it perfectly clear immediate success is not a key demand on new coach Justin Holbrook in 2020.

Adopting an under-promise, over-achieve philosophy, the Titans won’t be making any bold predictions of significant ladder climbing in 2020 with the club hierarchy well aware a true regeneration of their roster is required and even a new boss with the magic touch from Super League success needs time to build it his way.

Holbrook and Head of Football Mal Meninga have a mandate to build the club to a successful future and if that means a few more dark days on the field, so be it.

Perhaps the greatest asset going for the Titans this year is that every player is on notice. No one is safe. Contract renewal will be brutal. Buy in or get out. Mediocrity has no place on the Gold Coast and while Holbrook intends to squeeze every ounce of commitment and effort from his squad, he may just reveal a few more competitive footballers than first thought and develop a handy team capable of giving the top eight a shake.

The 2020 outlook

What’s new
    The biggest change at the Titans is the coaching staff. New coach Holbrook has added assistants Jim Dymock and Jim Lenihan to give the club a fresh outlook and direction. The Titans have added some depth to their squad but otherwise their best 13 looks awfully similar to last year’s outfit – right down to the season-ending knee injury to prop Ryan James.

The promotion of AJ Brimson to fullback duties permanently and the return of Ashley Taylor after an interrupted year battling mental health issues gives the Titans hope they can improve on 2019 and prove the doubters wrong.

The draw
    Everything looks tough when you’re coming from the basement, but the first six weeks of the season really is as brutal as it gets for the Titans. Opening the year away to the 2019 runners-up Canberra Raiders, the Titans then host Parramatta and the Broncos before heading south to face reigning premiers the Roosters.

Melbourne and Manly complete a three-week away stretch and season-opening six-pack against six 2019 finalists that really could leave the Titans’ season staggering.

The stat that gives you hope
    Wipe 2019 from the memory. Not much good can come from reflecting upon it. Go back to 2018 when Ash Taylor was the talk of the NRL. His 18 try assists for the season ranked only behind Johnathan Thurston (23) and Luke Keary (21) for most in the NRL.

Taylor still banked six try assists in 10 games last season, but without him for most of the year the Titans just lacked attacking intent and variation. All preseason training indicates he looks and sounds like the 2018 version of himself and his positive start at the NRL Nines, where the Titans reached the semis, shows Taylor at least is in for a better 2020.

What you need to know NRL Fantasy wise
    AJ Brimson ($462k) is ready to step up as the Gold Coast's first-choice fullback and will be great value if he can get his scoring about 40 points a game (where it was in 2018). Moeaki Fotuaika ($578k) is another rising star and will be called upon to get through a lot of work up front following another devastating Ryan James injury, while Ash Taylor ($495k) looked great at the NRL Nines and will be a bargain if he can hit 45 points a game.

The coach
    Justin Holbrook enters his first NRL season as a head coach, but coming off a Super League premiership with St Helens the former Sydney Roosters assistant is no stranger to success. Boasting an 80 per cent win record in the UK, Holbrook is seen as the man to rebuild the Titans for future glory.

The 2020 season shapes as a free hit for the NRL rookie, but if the Titans are within reach of the finals late in the season, Holbrook’s first year will be deemed a success.

Contract matters
    With Jai Arrow off to South Sydney in 2021, the Titans have several big names all fighting for new deals in 2020. Fullback AJ Brimson has re-signed which was the top priority, now Meninga then must address the headache of several veterans wanting new deals.

Former NSW Origin hooker Nathan Peats headlines the list, along with injured skipper Ryan James, Kiwi Test backrower Kevin Proctor, plus consistent trio Tyrone Roberts, Anthony Don and Dale Copley. Youngster Phillip Sami, Sam Stone and Keegan Hipgrave also remain unsigned for 2021.

The burning question
    Will Ashley Taylor rediscover his love of rugby league and the form that had him pegged as a future superstar halfback of the NRL to guide the Titans from the cellar to finalists? He is by no means the only player needing a big lift in 2020 – Tyrone Peachey, Bryce Cartwright, Shannon Boyd, Jarrod Wallace and Nathan Peats all need big seasons – but Taylor is the money man capable of taking this team into the finals if he fires.

Breakout player to watch
    AJ Brimson showed patches of brilliance last season and with a permanent move into the No.1 jersey following the retirement of veteran Michael Gordon, this could be the real coming of age season for the 21-year-old playmaker. Blessed with both ball-playing ability and blinding speed, it’s obvious why this talented local junior has been summonsed into the Queensland Emerging Origin squad and is pegged as a Maroons utility in the near future.

The quote
    “It (2019) was probably the toughest season I’ve had in first grade. I definitely did learn a lot and the Titans supported me through that and I owe it to them to have a good year ... I just want to have a big year and do something special."

- Tyrone Peachey
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Page would certainly bring one LoT stalwart back.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Hope Peachey gets a run at fullback in the trial. He played a few games at FB with Penrith the year we picked him up and he killed it. At this stage he is looking like what I had hoped for when we first signed him. Fingers crossed. Don't really want to see him in the halfs as his kicking game is sub par.

Playing Peats and Rein doesn't worry me. It was the playing Peats at lock when Rein came on that did my head in.

Boyd over Roberts for me too.

Yep I'm Boyd over Roberts too.

Did anyone watch enough of St Helens last year to know if Holbrook did have a hooker on the bench, utility, 4 forwards, etc?

@66 ... that's good question and I think it will be answered by several things, including how he has evolved as a coach remembering he is a product of two very good systems and what cattle he has to use. I'm very interested to see what he does about that, the forward rotation and Don in particular.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I'd be shocked if Sami and Pearson aren't our wingers, with Don in reserve grade. The only reason Don's starting this week is because Sami is at fullback. Hopefully within time GL jumps Don in the pecking order as well.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    I'd be shocked if Sami and Pearson aren't our wingers, with Don in reserve grade. The only reason Don's starting this week is because Sami is at fullback. Hopefully within time GL jumps Don in the pecking order as well.
    If that’s the theory then how come GL isn’t getting first crack in the trial? Everybody knows what Don can do and GL was the best winger in the NSW Cup last year. Why does GL have to wait behind a reserve winger from St George and a veteran winger well past him prime. A little frustrating that we have to wait to see how is going to go.

That’s a great question actually, and makes me a bit frustrated that he’s not getting first crack. He’s obviously a freak in attack so there must still be some issues with his defence, which hopefully the coaching staff can help him fix. I do think Pearson has looked quite impressive and quick in the pre season, so I’m happy we have options like him and GL instead of Don.

I would really like to see Pearson and GL as wingers.. Sami honestly doesn’t do much for me, also like to see some more fresh faces in the team.. pretty much naming them same squad as last year scares me haha

Definitely Pearson for me. When we had nene McDonald on the wing he was always a target for ash. Need that height out there to compete. The Don is done.

QLD Cup

I was impressed with Copley in the Burleigh trial.

PREVIEW: Broncos vs Titans
    https://www.titans.com.au

A final chance for the big guns to tune up for round one and fringe players to stake their claims when the Broncos host the Titans at Dolphin Stadium in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Both clubs fielded a mix of experience and youth in last week's trials but the final game of the summer will prove to be pivotal a fortnight out from the 2020 Telstra Premiership.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has decisions to make around his backline and bench make-up, while Justin Holbrook will be hoping for a strong performance all-round leading into a tough start to the NRL season for the Titans.

Venue: Dolphin Stadium, Brisbane

Broncos: 1. Jack Bird 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Darius Boyd 5. Xavier Coates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Brodie Croft 8. Tom Flegler 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. David Fifita 12. Tevita Pangai jnr 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange 14. Jamayne Isaako 15. Herbie Farnworth 16. Jesse Arthars 17. Tesi Niu 18. Richie Kennar 19. Tom Dearden 20. Tyson Gamble 21. Jordan Riki 22. Andrew McCullough 23. Joe Ofahengaue 24. Rhys Kennedy 25. Jamil Hopoate 26. Ethan Bullemor

Aside from Jordan Kahu (shoulder), Matt Lodge (knee) and captain Alex Glenn (hamstring, rested), the Broncos have all their topliners available and named a powerful squad. Anthony Milford got through last week's trial unscathed after concerns around a hamstring injury in the Nines campaign. Coach Anthony Seibold may have dropped some hints to his likely round one squad, with Jack Bird being named at fullback ahead of Jamayne Isaako and Jake Turpin getting the nod at hooker over Andrew McCullough. Corey Oates will play his first match of 2020 after shaking off a leg infection in the pre-season.

Titans: 1. Phil Sami 2. Anthony Don 3. Kallum Watkins 4. Brian Kelly 5. Jonus Pearson 6. Tyrone Roberts 7. Ash Taylor 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Mitch Rein 10. Sam Lisone 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. Jai Arrow

Interchange 14. Jai Whitbread 15. Tyrone Peachey 16. Nathan Peats 17. Tanah Boyd 18. Dale Copley 19. Sam Stone 20. Jaimin Jolliffe 21. Erin Clark 22. Greg Leleisiuao

Ash Taylor has overcome a minor calf complaint and will take the field after sitting out last week's trial against Burleigh Bears. Fellow playmaker Tyrone Roberts (ankle) failed to finish the All Stars clash but has been named to play, while AJ Brimson (back) and Shannon Boyd (shoulder) are set to return for round one. Former Warrior Sam Lisone will slot straight into the front-row for his new team.

The big question
    Broncos: Does Jack Bird seal the No.1 jersey with another strong performance? Seibold was tight-lipped on which way he's leaning but a decent showing from Bird against the Cowboys last weekend could have him in front of Jamayne Isaako. With Darius Boyd's centre switch all but confirmed, Isaako needs a big game to get his nose back in front.

Titans: Can Ash Taylor rediscover his form ahead of the 2020 season? Taylor looked good in the brief time he was on the field at the Nines. From all reports, he's had a chance to freshen up mentally and physically. A pre-season test against his former club Brisbane should hold him in good stead and give Holbrook a chance to see his key playmaker in action for the first time.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 27-02-20 at 07:24 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior

Hey does anyone know if training is today (Friday)?? If so what times?? I’m bringing my kids down for the weekend and my boys would be stoked to watch the team train