Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 preseason

Hybrid View

Default 2020 preseason

2020 preseason is upon on

We're off and running!

We're off and running with preparation for season 2020 now underway. The squad returned to training and were put through their paces in 30 degree heat at the Titans High Performance Facility.

For pics, follow the llink

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/...f-and-running/

Default Titans strip back training to begin pre-season overhaul

Senior Assistant Coach Jim Dymock says the Titans’ new coaching staff has stripped back pre-season training to help the playing group “move on” from the implosion of the Gold Coast’s 2019 season.

Dymock joins the Titans this year after a stint as Assistant Coach at Cronulla.

The move north has led to a reunion with Gold Coast Head Coach Justin Holbrook, with whom he shared time at Canterbury while the pair were players, and later together on the Bulldogs’ coaching staff.

Dymock reiterated Holbrook’s stance that the entire playing group was starting with a clean slate this pre-season, with everyone given equal opportunity to push for NRL selection in the new year.

That clean slate philosophy also extends to the Titans’ training sessions, with a “back to basics” approach being adopted to rebuild the Gold Coast’s game from the ground up.

“Whatever happened last year, we just have to move on from that,” Dymock said. “Our job is to try to give the players the best opportunity to maximise their potential. Hopefully we can do that.

“We are putting systems in place. We are stripping the training right back to just some core skills and core principles. We are not going to make it too hard for them, and hopefully we can be very competitive and consistent.

“Whatever club you go to, the football community there are very similar people. They have a good work ethic. It is our job as coaches to give them a job. They have to know their job, but we have to show them what their job is.

“Everyone has a fresh new start, so everyone is on the front foot.

“Whatever happened previously, that is not our concern. Whatever they did off the field, on the field – it is all about starting fresh in the pre-season. It is what you do now that counts for us.”

While the Titans first premiership game for 2020 is still four months away, Dymock says internal competition at training means the players must turn up every day with their “game faces” on.

Rather than the usual start to pre-season with a focus on running to put miles in the legs, the Titans started on ball work from the word go to help bring a competitive edge to each training session.

“We don’t want them to come here and, by the time we start the season, we have taken all the petrol out of them,” he said.

“We are stripping it right back in attack, just getting our core skills right, and also in defence.

“With the boys, what they like doing is playing with the ball. It is all about competition.

“Everyone likes competing. No one likes just doing laps around a field. Every time we are out there, we are out there competing for everything – if it is a play the ball, if it is a two-on-one. It is always a competition.”

Dymock said Holbrook’s coaching style would get the best out of the playing group by putting an emphasis on enjoying their hard work.

“For me, Justin is really laid back and a bit old-school. He likes to work hard when we are here, but also to have fun,” he said. “You don’t want the boys coming here not enjoying coming to work.

“That is what our job is – every time they come to work, they have an enjoyable experience and they are learning something."

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/...ason-overhaul/

Inactive User

It’s hard to really say much at the moment
    The roster is close to identical to last year
    Ferris still does strength and conditioning
    Meninga is going to continue to hang around on and off
    The new coaching staff are apparently keeping it pretty relaxed
    Our players are insisting it seems on holding us to the contracts we gave them

Does anyone know if they are going on any sort of camp at all and where to??

Very busy with work at the moment but I’m hoping to get down to training before Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    It’s hard to really say much at the moment
    The roster is close to identical to last year
    Ferris still does strength and conditioning
    Meninga is going to continue to hang around on and off
    The new coaching staff are apparently keeping it pretty relaxed
    Our players are insisting it seems on holding us to the contracts we gave them

Does anyone know if they are going on any sort of camp at all and where to??

Very busy with work at the moment but I’m hoping to get down to training before Xmas
    Probably can't go anywhere with the current bush fire situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Probably can't go anywhere with the current bush fire situation.
    That could be turning a negative into a positive ... send them out as volunteer firefighters to do some good community work, as well as the privileged little darlings facing some hardship plus do some bonding and character building.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Holbrook dismisses reports of Boyd exit
    Reports emerged that the Titans were shopping Boyd to NRL rivals

Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Hoolbrook has shut down suggestions that Shannon Boyd will be moved on by the club.

Reports emerged that the Titans were shopping Boyd to NRL rivals this off-season to clear salary, with the 27-year old signed to a four-year deal worth $2 million.

Boyd struggled in his first campaign at the Titans before a shoulder injury ended his season in August.

But Hoolbrook has full faith in him bouncing back in 2020.

“He’s still coming back from shoulder (surgery) but he’ll be right in a couple of months and he’s doing really well in his rehab. He’s lost some weight and his skinfolds are good,” Holbrook told goldcoastbulletin.com.au.

“He’s going well. From talking to Dan Ferris, he’s really happy with where he’s at now compared to where he was 12 months ago and that’s the same for a lot of the boys.

“His name has never come up once as to being moved on from the club, from anybody. I can honestly say I’ve got no idea where that’s come from because people were telling me that (I would let him go).

“But it hasn’t come from me at all or anyone in the club. He played for Australia a couple of years ago so he doesn’t have to learn how to play rugby league, that’s for sure.

“We’ve just got to get him right, get his body right and get him out there.”

Hoolbrook added that building up Boyd’s tank again was key to him getting back to his best.

“The best thing he can do is run. He’s got an injury that’s stopping him doing weights but he hasn’t got any issue in that (running) area,” he said.

“He’s lost some weight and for a big bloke, they’re the ones that get affected the most. If your backs come back (to pre-season) a couple of kilos over, they can lose that in a couple of weeks but the big blokes, for them to lose weight in big numbers, it’s hard.”

https://twitter.com/zerotackle/statu...242531328?s=21
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Holbrook dismisses reports of Boyd exit
    Reports emerged that the Titans were shopping Boyd to NRL rivals

Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Hoolbrook has shut down suggestions that Shannon Boyd will be moved on by the club.

Reports emerged that the Titans were shopping Boyd to NRL rivals this off-season to clear salary, with the 27-year old signed to a four-year deal worth $2 million.

Boyd struggled in his first campaign at the Titans before a shoulder injury ended his season in August.

But Hoolbrook has full faith in him bouncing back in 2020.

“He’s still coming back from shoulder (surgery) but he’ll be right in a couple of months and he’s doing really well in his rehab. He’s lost some weight and his skinfolds are good,” Holbrook told goldcoastbulletin.com.au.

“He’s going well. From talking to Dan Ferris, he’s really happy with where he’s at now compared to where he was 12 months ago and that’s the same for a lot of the boys.

“His name has never come up once as to being moved on from the club, from anybody. I can honestly say I’ve got no idea where that’s come from because people were telling me that (I would let him go).

“But it hasn’t come from me at all or anyone in the club. He played for Australia a couple of years ago so he doesn’t have to learn how to play rugby league, that’s for sure.

“We’ve just got to get him right, get his body right and get him out there.”

Hoolbrook added that building up Boyd’s tank again was key to him getting back to his best.

“The best thing he can do is run. He’s got an injury that’s stopping him doing weights but he hasn’t got any issue in that (running) area,” he said.

“He’s lost some weight and for a big bloke, they’re the ones that get affected the most. If your backs come back (to pre-season) a couple of kilos over, they can lose that in a couple of weeks but the big blokes, for them to lose weight in big numbers, it’s hard.”

https://twitter.com/zerotackle/statu...242531328?s=21
    Translation: No club in their absoltue right mind would take him regardless of the price. Whoever approved this signing needs to be booted from the club.

Guess Holbrook isn't a contributor to the forum

Ooohhh JB, you’ve done it again bwahaha

Here's hoping those comments from Holbrook are just like the old "coach has the full support of the board" comments

In all reality I can't see us moving Boyd on, when he's still got 3 years remaining at 600k. Our best chance of moving someone on would be Peachey I reckon as there would still be a club or two thinking they can turn him around, but seems like he's staying put too. Thank god it's Latu's last year.

At least Dave Taylor got in position to make lots of mistakes... Boyd sheesh. Let’s add Idris to that as well ... gee we’ve attracted some underachievers. In fact I’m thinking of retracting all my criticism of Wilbur Zillman who at least had a dig. Crikey I must be senile.

Boyd seven kilos lighter and ready to return to Test form
    Joel Gould

Titans prop Shannon Boyd returned to pre-season training seven kilos lighter than last year as he targets returning to the form that led to him representing Australia in 2016.

The 27-year-old is on track to be fit for round one next year after undergoing a major shoulder reconstruction in the wake of an injury suffered in the round 17 clash with Penrith.

Boyd is in the midst of a six-to-eight-month recovery period where he has kept himself in top shape and will be back doing contact work in mid-January.

"I was seven kilos lighter this year when I came back for day one training compared to last year. This year I was around 125 kilos whereas last year I was 132," he told NRL.com.

"I've watched what I've been eating and when I went back to the [family] farm in Cowra I did a bit of work and trained more than I usually would. I am running a lot better at training and feeling really good.

"Obviously you want to play your best and I think the best footy I played was in 2016. I have played well in games since and been where I wanted to be but I have been too inconsistent. I want to play good consistent footy next year and enjoy it."

In the trial game against the Broncos on the Gold Coast this year Boyd was on fire in the opening 20 minutes with his fierce charges and quick play-the-balls the catalyst for the Titans leading 18-0 early. He them came off with a dislocated thumb and the Broncos fought back to win the game. Boyd struggled to replicate that kind of form in the 13 NRL games he played for the Gold Coast in 2019.

It is the kind of football played by giant Melbourne prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona that Boyd wants to replicate in 2020.

"We have guys like Jai Arrow, Jai Whitbread and Moeaki [Fotuaika] who can all play big-minutes but I still think there is a place for us big boys in the game," Boyd said.

You look at big Nelson [Asofa-Solomona] and he might only play 40 minutes but he runs big metres and is very effective. That is what I need to get back to with the big carries, quick play-the-balls and being more aggressive in defence as well. All of that can turn momentum in games."

Titans captain Ryan James has no doubt Boyd has put himself in position to play at his best next year.

"Shannon Boyd at his best played for Australia and that is the form we want him to get back to," James told NRL.com.

"He is just one of those players who adds the intimidation factor when he is fit and healthy. The shoulder injury last season didn't help but he has cut back a fair bit of weight and everything is in place for him to be fit for round one

"In the first couple of weeks of training he has probably trained the hardest of all of us and is getting the kilometres back in his legs running up and down the sideline."

Boyd said he had embraced the training of new head coach Justin Holbrook and was also enjoying working with assistant coach Jim Dymock. The penny has well and truly dropped with the players that last season's wooden spoon finish cannot be repeated.

"The way that Justin has approached everything has been really positive and there is a lot better attitude around the place," Boyd said.

"There is no whinging or complaining about things. Everyone is buying in and it is good to see. Everyone is really hungry after last season and the club is at that point where we have to do well.

"I like Justin's approach. He is not trying to be over-the-top. It is all about the basics and fundamentals. Last year we had so many errors and that is why we lost so many games. The little details he has brought in I think will be a big help for us. The field sessions seems to be running a lot crisper.

"Jim Dymock has been really good. His structures are simple but work well and that is going to help with our defence."

Good on him and great to see the commitment to making himself fitter, but I will reserve judgement until I see action rather than just talking

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Good on him and great to see the commitment to making himself fitter, but I will reserve judgement until I see action rather than just talking
    Absolutely. The effort wins marks with me. But 2016 was along time ago in footy.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Grrrr Mondays, having a bad one myself so I'll share it around. Remember that article about Taylor coming back 7 kgs lighter? Yeah me too.