Page 95 of 217 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 145 195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 3242
    Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Paying overs hasn't worked for us since the club started so I'm not sure why paying $1 million for a bloke that has put a couple of good hits on (yes I'm exaggerating) and has now done his knee would be any different to our past failures. I wouldn't even have an offer on the table till after he recovers from his knee and plays out the season.

Paying overs for potential or paying a fair wage for players that want to play for the team and coach? I'd prefer to try something different personally and that means finding players that want to be here.
    For the wrong players like Dave Taylor.

Fifita is not Dave Taylor and will be a superstar, mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post

I agree with you, Fifita will be a special player imo, provided he stays relatively fit after his knee surgery. I totally get JB's viewpoint though.

Dave Taylor was a superstar

Jamal Idris was a super star

Jarryd Hayne was a super star

Ash Taylor was the next Andrew Johns

You get the point. Two weeks ago John Bateman was worth $800k this week he's out indefinitely with shoulder surgery again. Fifita may not be the same player after he comes back from knee surgery, Ryan James certainly isn't (yes I know they are different injuries).

Rep Player

Dave Taylor was a superstar

Jamal Idris was a super star

Jarryd Hayne was a super star

Ash Taylor was the next Andrew Johns

You get the point. Two weeks ago John Bateman was worth $800k this week he's out indefinitely with shoulder surgery again. Fifita may not be the same player after he comes back from knee surgery, Ryan James certainly isn't (yes I know they are different injuries).
    None of those players you listed ever had the mental fortitude to be a superstar except for Hayne, but his ego undid him when he came back from NFL. I agree that we never should've paid overs for those players. Fifita is different.

I never thought Bateman was worth 800k.

None of those players you listed ever had the mental fortitude to be a superstar except for Hayne, but his ego undid him when he came back from NFL. I agree that we never should've paid overs for those players. Fifita is different.

I never thought Bateman was worth 800k.
    None of them had the mental fortitude to be superstars but we found that out after we signed them. Fifita is happy to sign wherever his mum says so. Not inspiring me that he is at a level of mental fortitude we should be aspiring too plus the knee surgery and his ability becomes unclear until we see him back on the field. It’s not a million dollar multi year risk this club can keep taking at this stage.

Junior

None of them had the mental fortitude to be superstars but we found that out after we signed them. Fifita is happy to sign wherever his mum says so. Not inspiring me that he is at a level of mental fortitude we should be aspiring too plus the knee surgery and his ability becomes unclear until we see him back on the field. It’s not a million dollar multi year risk this club can keep taking at this stage.
    Well said JB.

I think it's going to be a risk anyone we sign on a big contract with our history... but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by elltee View Post
    Well said JB.

I think it's going to be a risk anyone we sign on a big contract with our history... but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
    But we have a history of taking million dollar shots with no return! At the money being talked I am a pass sorry.

Corey Thompson’s Gold Coast Titans move could be blocked by Michael Maguire

Wests Tigers have baulked at releasing out-of-favour fullback Corey Thompson to the Gold Coast Titans.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Thompson last week agreed to join the Titans immediately until the end of the 2022 season.

The Tigers were ready to grant Thompson a release from his contract this week, but the Titans’ drought-breaking win against Wests on Sunday night could cost them Thompson.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire was furious with his side’s performance in the Suncorp Stadium thriller and has wielded the axe and made multiple changes.

Maguire has dropped club legend Benji Marshall along with a host of other players, opening the door for Thompson to return to the Tigers’ NRL team.

Thompson started at fullback in the opening two games of the season, but was overlooked for Adam Doueihi in the Titans game.

The Titans have been looking for a fullback to replace injured No. 1 AJ Brimson, who will miss most of the season with a fractured back.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook was happy to bring Thompson to the Gold Coast and the club was hoping to have the deal finalised on Tuesday.

But the Titans’ 28-23 win against the Tigers has possibly killed the deal, with Wests going cold on the move as Maguire searches for a winning formula.

The Titans have been linked to out-of-favour Dragons fullback Matt Dufty, who could come back into the frame if the Thompson deal does not resurface.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...9c10f51b50266b

Hey guys! Sorry for the absence, been moving cities and settling into a new life, been pretty busy but hopefully I can be a bit more active over the coming period!

WB Dobes. The article sounds like sour grapes. Blocks Coreys move but doesn't put him in the team. What a douche bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Corey Thompson’s Gold Coast Titans move could be blocked by Michael Maguire

Wests Tigers have baulked at releasing out-of-favour fullback Corey Thompson to the Gold Coast Titans.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Thompson last week agreed to join the Titans immediately until the end of the 2022 season.

The Tigers were ready to grant Thompson a release from his contract this week, but the Titans’ drought-breaking win against Wests on Sunday night could cost them Thompson.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire was furious with his side’s performance in the Suncorp Stadium thriller and has wielded the axe and made multiple changes.

Maguire has dropped club legend Benji Marshall along with a host of other players, opening the door for Thompson to return to the Tigers’ NRL team.

Thompson started at fullback in the opening two games of the season, but was overlooked for Adam Doueihi in the Titans game.

The Titans have been looking for a fullback to replace injured No. 1 AJ Brimson, who will miss most of the season with a fractured back.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook was happy to bring Thompson to the Gold Coast and the club was hoping to have the deal finalised on Tuesday.

But the Titans’ 28-23 win against the Tigers has possibly killed the deal, with Wests going cold on the move as Maguire searches for a winning formula.

The Titans have been linked to out-of-favour Dragons fullback Matt Dufty, who could come back into the frame if the Thompson deal does not resurface.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...9c10f51b50266b

Hey guys! Sorry for the absence, been moving cities and settling into a new life, been pretty busy but hopefully I can be a bit more active over the coming period!
    I'd be taking a look at Nicho Hynes if this is true.

Also, not a huge Dufty fan but I could certainly see the appeal. What would happen with him long-term though? Brimson to 6?
    Last edited by NZTITAN; 10-06-20 at 12:48 AM.

First Grader

No to dufty, see no upside in him. Would rather persist with sami

Lisone extended on a two year deal. I would have liked to see him play more than 4 games before we did this. I'm not saying he hasn't played well, but I feel like we do this all the time and we have dead weight in the last year of their contract. Just hope he keeps his form up.

Well done Lisone, he has definitely given it his all since he has come to us and I am happy to have him in the team if he keeps playing like this.

Does anyone know how much we are paying him, I assume it wouldn't be too much?

Happy to have Lisone who goes someway to off-setting losing Paasi in my view. I wonder how many emerging players we could have converted if we had our now coach then.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

QLD Cup

I personally would have held off signing Lisone for another couple months just to see if his form continues but on the flip side it is a big middle finger to Wallace and Boyd that he is being rewarded for good footy and they are dropped.

I'm not a huge fan of either Thompson or Dufty. I was surprised to see us offer Thompson a contract till the end of 2022, surely he's only seen as a stop gap until we get a better alternative. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was conversations happening between Holbrook and Coote about Coote coming back to Aussie to play for us