Page 86 of 217 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 136 186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 3242

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Article today saying that Mal is sounding out Bateman as an Arrow replacement. 800k is the asking price. Assuming he is our 13 for the foreseeable future - do we think he is worth it? I’m not convinced he’s an 800k player as per my previous essay but am interested to see what we all think.
    I agree with you HS that I don't think he is an 800k player - perhaps 650-700k. Of course our trouble is we have to pay overs to get decent players as they want to win comps so we have to drag them away from the winning clubs.
    My preference is that he sticks to his 580k a year deal that he signed. Bad luck that his Manager signed a deal that may be unders but he was unproven at NRL level and that was a fair deal at the time. We need blokes though that play injured and have mongrel so at the right price and even a bit overs I'd take him.

Junior

Bateman + Hipgrave = Bash brothers. 700/750 would be the sweet spot IMO.

Isn't proctor off contract this year? I'd rather bateman over him, 800k is maybe abit much but like others have said we've just gotta pay abit of overs to get quality players and Batemans a much more reliable signing than Carty or Peachey or boyd who we've paid overs for

Inactive User

And here we are again paying overs for players.
    It’s never worked for us before and won’t ever.
    Only a youth policy will get us out of the swamp and there is no quick fix.
    The only player I’d pay “overs” for is Fifita because he’s still very young and then use him to enthuse local juniors and bring back all the players with ties to us like Haas as they come off contract in years to come.
    In the meantime we develop the likes of Sexton, Brimson, Boyd, Seuli, Farmer, Fermor etc.

First Grader

Bateman for 700-750 max is fair imo.

As much as I want fifita I don't think spending 1m a season on a second rower is wise no matter how good they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Article today saying that Mal is sounding out Bateman as an Arrow replacement. 800k is the asking price. Assuming he is our 13 for the foreseeable future - do we think he is worth it? I’m not convinced he’s an 800k player as per my previous essay but am interested to see what we all think.
    Mmmm this is a tricky one. I would value Bateman at $700-$800k tops. I would offer $750k though. He is a test player and the type of player that our club COULD benefit from. At 26 as a second rower / lock he would still have 4-6 years left in him and could be with the club long term. IF the number of interchange is reduced in the next few seasons a player like him will come into his own as he can play long minutes and or all game which to a coach is attractive . Getting the bigger guys and a lower interchange is fraught with danger. His work ethic is reported to be good and is what the Titans need. Peats, James and Mo are the guys at the club that have great work ethics and if we loose Peats then we need someone else to stand up or bring into the club.

Downside is that I'm confident that he won't come to the club as I think that he will want $800k which will price us out.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

We have paid $700k for an untested Tino. We paid $600k for absolute duds like S Boyd, Wallace and B Cartwright. Can’t forget the best one in Ash. If we don’t want to pay overs in a team with these price tags then we shouldn’t be looking at players until after they’re all gone which is the 2023 season.

James is on $700k and hasn’t been able to successfully come back from his injuries. If we have that money spare then Bateman wouldn’t be the worst signing in this clubs history.

But if my mate Mal is talking about it In the paper then at least he’s In Canberra to talk to him.

Might be worth while to see how he comes out of his rehab with the shoulder injury

How much is Arrow currently on?

Edit; We paid $700k for Tino? Haha wow.

Yep, and the Warriors offered even more.

He ran for 140 metres in only 29 minutes in Round 1 of the NRL v Manly this year. Untried as a consistent NRL footballer, sure. But for a 20 year old he's showing a huge amount of promise.

Can Melbourne not afford to keep him though? You'd think for a rookie with such high praise, that the Storm would have tried to do everything they could to keep him.

If anything it is good we are publicly stating we are interested in Bateman, it should put pressure on Fifita so we can get an outcome if he is or isn't interested coming to the Gold Coast.

I personally like Bateman as a footballer but seeing how he has handled his contract at the raiders looks like another player who's heads to far up his ass, we don't need anyone else holding our club at random like Ash Taylor, Tyrone Roberts, James Roberts, Jarryd Jayne etc
    Last edited by indoallstars; 27-05-20 at 12:26 PM.

Not trying to put Tino down. Just putting into perspective what we’ve have and are paying for players.

Tino seems a good investment but Bateman is like his name, baiting Raiders into complying with what he wants. All his mates are there and that’s where he wants to be ... in that cold hole. Forget him, forget Fifita and all the big price tags ... build our young guys and punt on Tino-like players.
    Last edited by Titanic; 27-05-20 at 01:00 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Also it should be noted that Bateman has changed Player Managers. He was Managed by an O/S Manager but now has moved to Issac Mosses. Mosses gets paid nothing until Bateman has a contract signed under his Management Group so the Media storm COULD have been created by his new manager so Bateman signs a new deal and the Manager gets paid. My understanding ( I could be wrong ) is that Batemans current contract expires end 2021......Long time for the Player Manager to not be paid by one of his own. ( Happy to stand corrected on this point ) .
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Bateman for 700-750 max is fair imo.

As much as I want fifita I don't think spending 1m a season on a second rower is wise no matter how good they are.
    Cowboys might disagree