Page 71 of 217 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 121 171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 3242

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Just accept it? Are you serious? So you'd be happy to continue getting flogged every week like we were our last game and our last however many years? And I want to make it very clear again that I don't blame Holbrook, I blame the players, who Brennan left us with, who, apart from a few of them, clearly are not playing for the club or its fans, but for themselves and their big fat pay-cheque. Nothing else.

Why do people get so upset when I say this? Those players are taking up a huge, huge chunk of our cap and things might have been different if Brennan hadn't gone and signed them for the money that he did.

You asked me, "Did you think we were going to make the finals or something?" Hell no. I expected maybe a little more effort under new coaching staff at least, but that last game, for the most part, didn't show that at all, and that's down to the current crop of players (minus a few who are trying) that we're stuck with for the next 2 or 3 years. It's just the reality of it and I'm sorry if this upsets people. Jeez.
    Ok so what your saying is that you don't like our roster and that Holbrook has no part in that. It is what it is. We are round 2 of a 26 week competition (maybe) and already we are going to get the spoon. Signs are there that we will improve. Our defence in parts was pleasing in that game. It will take a while for a team to gel under a new coach. I understand your point of view and am equally frustrated by it. But I am not constantly harping on about it with a "I told you so" tone. It gets a little boring.

The captaincy thing is laughable ... even the ‘Ponies can pick a novice captain but we went down the hacks pathway ... so disappointing. As for the negativity it’s a “no worries” from me because I couldn’t get out of low gear for either of our matches. Conceding soft early tries is a fan killer while watching Dropsy Wallace couldn’t even get a WTF out of me ... I’m anesthetized.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

If we can get fifita surely they won't be able to keep staggs. He's worth a look surely

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    If we can get fifita surely they won't be able to keep staggs. He's worth a look surely
    Absolutely, Staggs is a gun. Future origin player for sure.

Apparently there is an article in tomorrows Courier Mail that says Fifita will not be coming here. I don't have a subscription but a mate just sent me screenshots.
    I'd still go after Staggs.

‘Dave won’t leave the Broncos’: Fifita to snub Titans, sign long-term Brisbane contract
    https://www.couriermail.com.au

David Fifita will shun a $3.2 million offer from the Titans and sign a new deal with Brisbane after making a pact with teammate Payne Haas to build a premiership-winning dynasty at the Broncos.

That is the assessment of the most influential person in Fifita’s contract negotiations, his mother Gwen, who has revealed the motivations behind the Queensland Origin star’s desire to remain at Red Hill next season.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Fifita met with the Broncos last week to verbally outline his plan to sign a new deal with the club at a time when the coronavirus saga has left 184 off-contract NRL players in limbo.

Fifita is one of those free agents, but the NRL’s instruction last week to freeze new contract registrations during the COVID-19 crisis does not concern the 20-year-old because he plans to stay loyal to the Broncos for 2021.

The Titans have expressed interest in Fifita, armed with a four-year deal worth about $800,000 per season. The Gold Coast’s overtures follow a recent pursuit by South Sydney, who tabled a massive $6 million, five-year offer, only for Fifita to reject the deal.

Titans culture chief Mal Meninga has vowed to go hard for Fifita but Gwen, a key figure in negotiations, has provided the most compelling insight yet, saying her son has no interest in quitting Brisbane.

“Dave wants to stay at the Broncos,” Gwen Fifita said.

“The whole contract issue has become forgotten because of everything that has happened (with the coronavirus pandemic).

“Just the other night, we were on the couch watching some old games on TV and Dave said, ‘Mum, we have a really good side at the Broncos and if we stick together, we can win premierships. We will be unstoppable’.

“That tells me Dave won’t be leaving the Broncos.

“He is really happy at the club and people don’t realise how close Dave is to his teammates like Payne Haas. He stays at Payne’s place all the time and Dave’s main concern is making sure all the guys stick together at the Broncos.”

Fifita reinforced his standing as the hottest back-row property in the code with a barnstorming 70-metre solo try in round one against the Cowboys before the NRL competition went into suspension.

There were suggestions the COVID-19 ordeal would help rival clubs such as the Titans pull off a Fifita poaching bid - but it will do the opposite.

With NRL clubs bracing for a 20 per cent reduction to next season’s $10 million salary cap, no team will be able to offer Fifita $1 million, nor seriously threaten the $700,000 Brisbane have set aside in their payment ceiling for the Maroons hulk.

South Sydney tried and failed to poach Fifita over summer. Rabbitohs legend Sam Burgess flew north for a secret meeting as part of a Redfern charm offensive, but Fifita, while flattered, politely declined the deal.

“Souths offered him so much money,” Gwen said. “We sat down and did all the numbers but it’s not like you get $1 million in the hand.

“People talk about $1 million contracts, but by the time you take out tax, Dave wouldn’t earn much more at Souths than he would at the Broncos.

“Sam Burgess never came to our house. I don’t know Sam, I haven’t met him in my life. He came to Brisbane and he met up with David, that mission was to specifically meet up with Dave to sign him.

“Wayne (Bennett, Souths coach and Fifita’s former mentor at Brisbane) teed it all up. They caught up in the city. I was supposed to attend but I didn’t go because I was working.

“Putting the money aside, Dave doesn’t like the Sydney life. He doesn’t like the traffic and the bustling life. It would cost him a fortune to buy a place in Sydney so he would be earning less down there anyway.”

The Titans are the only other realistic option for Fifita. He has links to the Gold Coast, having attended Keebra Park High, and has a bond with Titans-bound recruit Tino Fa’asuamaleaui. They played in Queensland junior rep teams and Tino has personally called Fifita urging him to reunite on the holiday strip.

But Gwen believes Fifita’s ties with Broncos prop Haas are unbreakable, especially after their terrifying Bali ordeal last year.

“The Titans are always fishing for David, they have been showing interest,” she said.

“Dave loves the Gold Coast area, don’t get me wrong, he went to school there, but he loves football at the Broncos and the relationships he has built with the players.

“There has been talk about Tino joining the Titans and being mates with Dave, but they never went to school together. Dave went to Keebra with Tanah Boyd and Mo Fotuaika from the Titans.

“Tino and Dave played in Queensland rep sides and they get on well, but his best mate is Payne. They want to stay together.

“The Broncos are home for Dave. He is totally comfortable there.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Convince David that we can bring Payne back home too when his contract ends. Payne’s family I believe are now down in the Tweed or Southern GC now.
    Don’t give up.

Never thought he would come so no biggy for me! We will eventually unearth a superstar..

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    Never thought he would come so no biggy for me! We will eventually unearth a superstar..
    It’s not over till the fat lady sings
    The least we can do if he’s declaring his hand is push his price right up and hurt the Drongoes Salary Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    It’s not over till the fat lady sings
    The least we can do if he’s declaring his hand is push his price right up and hurt the Drongoes Salary Cap.
    Yeh I don’t think he will leave the broncos.. but ya never know! We may struggle to find super talent for awhile till we start winning games.. just really hope when we do get back on the field the coach will throw some players like Clarke, GL etc in for a go over what we had playing last year

I suppose because Mal is locked out of the state as he resides in the ACT now we won’t blame him for another one getting away if Fifita doesn’t sign.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I suppose because Mal is locked out of the state as he resides in the ACT now we won’t blame him for another one getting away if Fifita doesn’t sign.
    Precisely and now that his 3 million 3 games or whatever outrageous detail it is as Australia coach is going to get sliced, perhaps he should give himself an uppercut and hightail back where he is paid to be. This guy has had his snout in more troughs than Peter Beattie.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Finally had the chance to watch the qualifying final from 2009 against the broncos. Yeah the result didn’t go our way that night but looking at that team you could see it had heart and the culture was strong. It’s crazy that other than laffranchi, no other players from really our golden generation that first 3 years are still involved somehow with the club in showing the current crop of players what it meant and what it should still mean to play for this club. Those players and staff built the foundations for a successful club but I guess a lot went on in 2011 that tore it all apart and we have never really recovered

Part of an article in Fox Sports

"Titans football boss Mal Meninga says Gold Coast will discuss the possibility and would be keen to reach out to Cooper.

Cooper could easily slot in at fullback for the side, or even the centres and play a roaming role when the Titans are in possession.

Being based in Queensland, it makes sense for Cooper to join a Queensland club, but he says he’s willing to play for anyone."

Thoughts on Quade Cooper coming here? Couldn't be any worse than Tyrone Roberts I think if he wants to come play for near minimum wage

Immortal

Defensively challenged and can only pass to his left. There are plenty of young Reds players the Titans should target though.