Page 70 of 217 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 120 170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 3242

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Monday Bunker: Crisis could deliver superstar to NRL strugglers
    The Daily Telegraph
    March 30, 2020 2:19pm
    Subscriber only

The coronavirus crisis could have a silver lining for a battling NRL club: the most sought-after signature in rugby league.

While contract talks have been put on hold amid the NRL shutdown, the Gold Coast Titans are firming as a serious contender to snare rising Broncos superstar David Fifita next season.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield recently reported that Justin Holbrook’s side had emerged as favourites to sign the off-contract forward.

And with the NRL scrambling to find funding to keep the competition afloat in 2020, the current climate could play into Gold Coast’s hands.

Clubs are bracing for a reduced salary cap in 2021, which could further damage Brisbane’s chances of retaining Fifita on their roster.

“If anything it probably increases the Titans’ chances of getting David Fifita,” Rothfield said on The Monday Bunker.

“You look at the Broncos roster — they’ve already re-signed Matt Lodge, Payne Haas and Tevita Pangai Junior.

“They’ve got Anthony Milford and Jack Bird, who have got options their way. They’re on $1.8 million between them (and) they won’t get that money elsewhere — they’ll take up those options.

“They’ve also got to keep Kotoni Staggs who is free to negotiate with other clubs from November onwards.

So the Broncos are in a bit of trouble there to find room.

“There’s no question at all the salary cap next year will be decreased so it’ll be interesting to see how that one plays out.”
    Thanks for that.. but there got Darius Boyd retiring so you would think that would free up space.. I don’t see Fifita coming here! Be good if he did but doubt it

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    Thanks for that.. but there got Darius Boyd retiring so you would think that would free up space.. I don’t see Fifita coming here! Be good if he did but doubt it
    Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm hopeful though.

First Grader

In the Bulletin Arrow has said he would take a pay cut to move to Souths next year. Just shows how little he wants to stay here and will be glad to see the back of him

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    In the Bulletin Arrow has said he would take a pay cut to move to Souths next year. Just shows how little he wants to stay here and will be glad to see the back of him
    He’s Such a disappointment to the GC.

Titans star Jai Arrow will take a pay cut to join South Sydney for next season
    Travis Meyn, Peter Badel, Exclusive, The Courier-Mail
    March 31, 2020 3:04pm
    Subscriber only

Gold Coast Titans star Jai Arrow is committed to honouring his move to South Sydney next year, even if it means accepting a cut to his $3.2 million deal.

The NRL has a raft of issues to overcome as it deals with the financially crippling coronavirus pandemic which has seen the 2020 season suspended indefinitely.

One of the major sticking points is the $10 million salary cap for 2021, which could be slashed by up to 40 per cent as part of a financial overhaul at league central.

While ARLC chairman Peter V’landys is hoping to avoid cutting the salary cap, clubs are bracing for a $2 million-$4 million reduction to help the game become sustainable.

In December last year, Arrow signed a four-year deal worth about $800,000-a-season to join the Rabbitohs from 2021.

But potential changes to the collective bargaining agreement and salary cap could thrust the validity of the deal into the spotlight.

Arrow, 24, was torn over the decision to leave his home town club, but said he would accept a pay cut to join Souths next year if the cap was slashed.

“If I have to take a pay cut next year because the salary cap goes down to keep the game alive then I’m more than happy to do that – that doesn’t worry me one bit,” Arrow told The Courier-Mail.

“I play the game because I love it. I’m very grateful I get paid to do what I love every day.

“There are people losing their jobs, lining up at Centrelink for hours. It’s hard to see. I’m lucky and grateful to still be getting paid, for the time being.

“I signed a contract a while ago and I’ve stuck with it. I’m happy to go.

“It’s a big move but I’m really looking forward to going down there, getting to know the boys and reuniting with Wayne (Bennett) and Jason Demetriou.

“I’ve first got to focus on getting back to playing this year for the Titans. If the season doesn’t go ahead I’ll be filthy with the way it finished (46-6 loss to Parramatta).

“I want to play again and do all I can to make that happen.”

If the NRL and Rugby League Players’ Association agree on a cut to the 2020-21 salary caps, the final two years of the current CBA, they would then need to decide how current contracts are handled.

A pro-rata system would see all contracts cut by the same percentage, but the issue of players looking to opt out of signed deals could arise.

Melbourne Storm pivot Cameron Munster said he is prepared to follow the lead of his Queensland Origin teammate Arrow and accept a reduced contract to save the NRL from going broke.

“If I had to renegotiate my contract to help the game I would do that,” Munster said.

“I love playing rugby league and we are already well paid when you compare our salaries to other people in Australia.

“I’ve seen people lose their jobs and struggle to put food on the table, so as NRL players we should be the last guys to whinge.

“I’m more than happy to take a pay cut if it means all the clubs can survive.”

V’landys is confident the RLPA will agree to the NRL’s 2020 funding package in the coming days.

The players will receive $24.6 million in total, with $19.2 million to be provided by the NRL and the remaining $5.4 million to be available through the RLPA’s injury-hardship fund.

Each player will receive their monthly wage for April and May, then get nothing for the final five months until October 31. That equates to a pay cut of 71 per cent from today, and 46 per cent across the 12-month financial year.

Arrow said the players had accepted cuts were inevitable.

“We’re not dumb – we all understand we’re going to have to take a pretty hard hit with pay cuts,” he said.

“If that’s what it takes to keep the game alive, then so be it.

“It obviously sucks but we’re not the only ones taking pay cuts. It’s everyone around the whole league and world.

“I don’t know exactly what we’ll have to take. We get two full pays then we’ll know more.

“As long as I can pay my bills and look after myself, then I’m happy.”

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    He’s Such a disappointment to the GC.
    After our first two games I don't blame him.

Inactive User

Happy enough to take a pay cut
    Not happy enough to stand by his mates and his home

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Don't follow us(the titans) or just accept it is what it is. Got enough negative crap going on without your diatribe of hate. Did you think we were going to make the finals or something? Holbrook is 2 games in. Let's give him a chance.
    Just accept it? Are you serious? So you'd be happy to continue getting flogged every week like we were our last game and our last however many years? And I want to make it very clear again that I don't blame Holbrook, I blame the players, who Brennan left us with, who, apart from a few of them, clearly are not playing for the club or its fans, but for themselves and their big fat pay-cheque. Nothing else.

Why do people get so upset when I say this? Those players are taking up a huge, huge chunk of our cap and things might have been different if Brennan hadn't gone and signed them for the money that he did.

You asked me, "Did you think we were going to make the finals or something?" Hell no. I expected maybe a little more effort under new coaching staff at least, but that last game, for the most part, didn't show that at all, and that's down to the current crop of players (minus a few who are trying) that we're stuck with for the next 2 or 3 years. It's just the reality of it and I'm sorry if this upsets people. Jeez.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 01-04-20 at 02:57 PM.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Just accept it? Are you serious? So you'd be happy to continue getting flogged every week like we were our last game and our last however many years? And I want to make it very clear again that I don't blame Holbrook, I blame the players, who Brennan left us with, who, apart from a few of them, clearly are not playing for the club or its fans, but for themselves and their big fat pay-cheque. Nothing else.

Why do people get so upset when I say this? Those players are taking up a huge, huge chunk of our cap and things might have been different if Brennan hadn't gone and signed them for the money that he did.

You asked me, "Did you think we were going to make the finals or something?" Hell no. I expected maybe a little more effort under new coaching staff at least, but that last game, for the most part, didn't show that at all, and that's down to the current crop of players (minus a few who are trying) that we're stuck with for the next 2 or 3 years. It's just the reality of it and I'm sorry if this upsets people. Jeez.
    Do you think we don't know the things you're telling us? That we're just drifting around in La La Land waiting for you to beam yourself down from the heavens to pass on this sacred wisdom? Your constant negativity is exhausting. We get it. You don't need to harp on about it all the damn time (while conveniently ignoring the positive stuff like the speculation around Fifita).

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Do you think we don't know the things you're telling us? That we're just drifting around in La La Land waiting for you to beam yourself down from the heavens to pass on this sacred wisdom? Your constant negativity is exhausting. We get it. You don't need to harp on about it all the damn time (while conveniently ignoring the positive stuff like the speculation around Fifita).
    I just praised the club in this very thread a few weeks ago on the Fogarty signing. I was also happy with the Holbrook/Dymock/Lenihan coaching combo as well, and I still am. So to say I ignore the positives is complete rubbish.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 01-04-20 at 04:13 PM.

Inactive User

I just praised the club in this very thread a few weeks ago on the Fogarty signing. Nice try though.
    It would be no surprise to anyone to hear me say that I think what you say is entirely appropriate of our predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    It would be no surprise to anyone to hear me say that I think what you say is entirely appropriate of our predicament.
    I just feel as though only a few people here understand my pov, you and Mexican Titan being two of those people. It is just so frustrating, year after year, to be told to stay positive and that things are going to change, when they never do. I just hope that after the next 1-2 years have been and gone, Holbrook and the rest of the coaching stuff are still here, because I rate them highly as coaches, and we'll finally have some $$ to throw at a few players who actually want to be here, and want to play for us as well as their pay cheque, and not solely for the latter.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 01-04-20 at 04:28 PM.

Inactive User

I just feel as though only a few people here understand my pov, you and Mexican Titan being two of those people. It is just so frustrating, year after year, to be told to stay positive and that things are going to change, when they never do. I just hope that after the next 1-2 years have been and gone, Holbrook and the rest of the coaching stuff are still here, because I rate them highly as coaches, and finally have some $$ to throw at a few players who actually want to be here, and want to play for us as well as their pay cheque, and not solely for the latter.
    Imagine how boring the Roosters and Storm forums must be

Rep Player

I just feel as though only a few people here understand my pov, you and Mexican Titan being two of those people. It is just so frustrating, year after year, to be told to stay positive and that things are going to change, when they never do. I just hope that after the next 1-2 years have been and gone, Holbrook and the rest of the coaching stuff are still here, because I rate them highly as coaches, and we'll finally have some $$ to throw at a few players who actually want to be here, and want to play for us as well as their pay cheque, and not solely for the latter.
    I understand completely where you’re coming from, I just don’t want to be the company to your misery. There are plenty of other things in life trying to make me miserable.

QLD Cup

I'm all for giving Holbrook a chance as well but he needs to learn from what Brennan did and make the tough calls early. I don't think any coach in the NRL could turn the team that was chosen for the last two games into winners. Losing is a habit and a large chunck of our roster wouldn't make the top 17 in any of the other clubs.

As for Arrow who could blame him for leaving? He carried our team for the opening two games through shear determination. He'll come back to us one day as a better player and won't carry the baggage from all this constant rebuilding.

Also Bods I know that it is disappointing that he is leaving but we have no one to blame for it but ourselves. Way back in round 2 or 3 last year when we played cronulla he ran for nearly 300m in a losing team and showed us exactly what we needed in a leader and captain. When James fell injured a few weeks later we then decided to give the captaincy to .... Roberts. The most over rated player in the whole comp. If we had looked long term then and gave it to Arrow he never would have left (IMO of course).
    Last edited by NZFan; 01-04-20 at 06:44 PM.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I'm all for giving Holbrook a chance as well but he needs to learn from what Brennan did and make the tough calls early. I don't think any coach in the NRL could turn the team that was chosen for the last two games into winners. Losing is a habit and a large chunck of our roster wouldn't make the top 17 in any of the other clubs.

As for Arrow who could blame him for leaving? He carried our team for the opening two games through shear determination. He'll come back to us one day as a better player and won't carry the baggage from all this constant rebuilding.

Also Bods I know that it is disappointing that he is leaving but we have no one to blame for it but ourselves. Way back in round 2 or 3 last year when we played cronulla he ran for nearly 300m in a losing team and showed us exactly what we needed in a leader and captain. When James fell injured a few weeks later we then decided to give the captaincy to .... Roberts. The most over rated player in the whole comp. If we had looked long term then and gave it to Arrow he never would have left (IMO of course).
    Last Paragraph 100%
    What a missed opportunity and poor decision by Brennan