Page 2 of 217 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I'll let the boring comment go Meno. This time!
    As for Cade Cust, the word is that he will get a go at hooker and there are plenty down there that think he can make a go of it. I also think he has potential and adjusted fairly well to NRL level in his first few games. Injury stalled him and then the team was going well with Walker back and at 5/8 when he was available.
    He'll go alright in the 9. He's got that mongrel in him. That tenacity and will to win. He's all effort...for himself, for the team and for the win. He's the sort of bloke that doesn't cry and whinge when he's knocked down...he just bounces back up and gets back into the fight!

I wish we had more supporters here with those qualities, and I trust the Titans will be likewise on the field next year.

As for the boring comment...don't throw them if you can't catch them. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    He'll go alright in the 9. He's got that mongrel in him. That tenacity and will to win. He's all effort...for himself, for the team and for the win. He's the sort of bloke that doesn't cry and whinge when he's knocked down...he just bounces back up and gets back into the fight!

I wish we had more supporters here with those qualities, and I trust the Titans will be likewise on the field next year.
    If we had players with those qualities you wouldn't have to question why the supporters aren't the same.

Sitting in a restaurant at Palo Alto wishing I was anywhere else but here, I add to the conversation:

1. Perhaps if the coach focused on the football, the football department focused on recruiting and the club focused on our fan base then we would be in a better position.
    2. This squad will now be tested under a more realistic benchmarking microscope so we will find out what we’ve really got.
    3. Without genuine pace out wide and strike in the centers the whole thing is purely an exercise in futility.
    4. A 12th placed finish would be a reasonable outcome in truth but a potential club killer in fact.
    5. I’m vaguely optimistic about Holbrook and this squad (ESL is not the NRL) but feel our lack of depth will hurt us. I don’t want anymore marquee players, just add three more juniors and two up & comers from other clubs to work on.
    6. I think Meninga should take a flying fark off. We have the perfect club culture personality in the uniquely Gold Coast and creative P. Campbell. He is ours and represents our heart and soul instead of some out of town over-fed, over-rated and over-paid “immortal”.
    Last edited by Titanic; 06-11-19 at 08:27 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    If we had players with those qualities you wouldn't have to question why the supporters aren't the same.
    I don't know how anyone can support a team without naturally possessing those qualities.

Sure...we can all feel angry, pissed off, depressed and let down at times...but to feel that way all the time is unhealthy to the extreme.

At the moment, we may only have small positives to concentrate on...but what is the point of continuously making yourself feel low by reminding yourself how bad we've been, and pointing out our flaws? Maybe some of our supporters display masochistic tendencies. Oh, that's right...I forgot...it softens the harsh blow of "imminent failure". What an outlook to have...

Well, count me out for that crap too!

To me...it seems wise to acknowledge our flaws (I do), concentrate on our strengths (as small as they may seem) and trust the direction the club has taken.

Above all...keep flying the flag! If our defiance to bow down to the "power clubs" and their supporters does little more than piss off our enemies...I'll take that!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sitting in a restaurant at Palo Alto wishing I was anywhere else but here, I add to the conversation:
    1. Perhaps if the coach focused on the football, the football department focused on recruiting and the club focused on our fan base then we would be in a better position.
    2. This squad will now be tested under a more realistic benchmarking microscope so we will find out what we’ve really got.
    3. Without genuine pace out wide and strike in the centers the whole thing is purely an exercise in futility.
    4. A 12th placed finish would be a reasonable outcome in truth but a potential club killer in fact.
    5. I’m vaguely optimistic about Holbrook and this squad (ESL is not the NRL) but feel our lack of depth will hurt us. I don’t want anymore marquee players, just add three more juniors and two up & comers from other clubs to work on.
    Well said.

Point 4 is a very real possibility. That said...I will never fall on my sword. I say we fight hard, together in the one direction...club, team and supporters! I'd rather fight and be killed than agree with the naysayers (those with the power to eliminate us) and whimper my way to nonexistence.

A little dramatic...but think about it.

Immortal

Great to see some of the talented Titans junior players will get an opportunity to train with the Titans NRL squad this offseason and showcase themselves to Justin Holbrook.

The likes of centre Will Evans, fullback Jayden Campbell, second rower Tristian Powell, hooker Jed Edwards and winger Lofi Khan-Periera are all future Titans and the work that they will do with the NRL squad will stand them in good stead to get to the NRL sooner rather than later.

Will Evans in particular has a great perigee including playing two Queensland Cup matches for Burleigh this season as an 18 year old including Burleigh’s first final and also playing in two of Wales three Nines pool matches recently. Will Evans first match in a Titans jersey was as an 13 year old when he played at fullback against a Marsden SHS side (he was outstanding that day) at Pizzey Park thus it is great to see him training with the Titans NRL side.

Jayden Campbell, the son of legend Preston Campbell is another great Titans story in the making and was the leading try scorer and points scorer in the Hastings Deering’s Colts competition this season with the Titans beating a number of Sydney clubs for his signature on a three year contract.

Tristian Powell and Lofi Khan-Periera graduate to training with the NRL side from starting for the 2019 Queensland U18 side and even though Jed Edwards 2019 season was cruelled by injury he is a former Queensland U16 hooker and yet another local junior on the rise.

In relation to the players on NRL Development contracts I can see 18 year old second rower Juwan Compain making his NRL debut late in 2020 and also Ioane Seuili (who transitioned from centre to second row in 2019) also getting an NRL shot. Ioane Seuili is still U20 eligible in 2020 but spent the entire 2019 season (until his shoulder injury) in the Queensland Cup and Juwan Compain played in two Queensland Cup matches as a 17 year old, both playing for Tweed Heads.

Juwan Compain’s first match in a Titans jersey came when he was just 13 years old so it will be great to see a local junior progress all the way to the NRL when he makes his debut.

Former Australian school boy and PBC co-captain Toby Sexton will likely start the season in the Colts competition for Tweed Heads but clearly is highly thought of as he has been doing the drills as starting five eight in the early pre-season sessions in his first season out of the U18 ranks.

Kea Pere’s first season with the Titans was impacted by injury but has undoubted talent as well as size and speed. Late in the 2019 season he actually spent some time in the second row for the Burleigh Colts side and it will be interesting to see if the Titans are considering a permanent move there from the outside backs.

Of course there is also star in the making second rower Darius Farmer (who signed with the Titans as a 15 year old) who has overcome health issues to be on the verge of realising his deserved NRL dream as early as Round One against Canberra next season. Make no mistake Darius Farmer will bring aspects to the NRL side that no other Titans contracted player has with his size, skill and outside back type speed on the right side of the field.

Regardless of what happens in 2020 in the NRL (and we all hope we do well) the future is incredibly bright for the Titans and I can only try to assure people that the Junior Titans System (JTS) is the envy of all other clubs in the NRL. We may never get to the stage where every player that wears a Titans jersey is a local junior but heck we will not be far away in the next two or three years.

I have mentioned only the players that are training with the NRL squad in some capacity this off season but there are plenty more that will follow these players to the NRL in a Titans jersey.

Inactive User

I’d be happy to move on pretty much every out of town player coming off contract at the end of next year and replace them with every top end talented teenager and just watch them come through and organically take us up the ladder rather than fill our list with the Peats, Reins, Cartwright’s, Latu’s, Peachey’s, Copley’s etc of this world that end up here because it’s an inviting superannuation top up.

First Grader

Love reading those posts mdrew, thanks for taking the time

Thanks Mdrew for keeping the info coming

mdrew love your work, as always.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

I think peatsy actually loves the place. He has spoken many times that he would love to finish his career with us and regardless of where his career takes him, him and his family love the gc and he will probably live here when he retires. Also now the mark minichiello has retired and come back the club should be getting him involved somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by SCoast Titan View Post
    I think peatsy actually loves the place. He has spoken many times that he would love to finish his career with us and regardless of where his career takes him, him and his family love the gc and he will probably live here when he retires. Also now the mark minichiello has retired and come back the club should be getting him involved somehow.
    I have always liked Minichiello. He would be great as he had a lot of passion for the club and could gee the players up a bit. But I guess want and $ speak a lot as well. I think now explayers that have a coaching capacity need to have or working towards a coaching qualification. One thing that I did learn is that some former players want to be around clubs but want to be paid more than what the role is actually worth. Or some clubs just don’t have the budget to do so as well.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Great to see some of the talented Titans junior players will get an opportunity to train with the Titans NRL squad this offseason and showcase themselves to Justin Holbrook.

The likes of centre Will Evans, fullback Jayden Campbell, second rower Tristian Powell, hooker Jed Edwards and winger Lofi Khan-Periera are all future Titans and the work that they will do with the NRL squad will stand them in good stead to get to the NRL sooner rather than later.

Will Evans in particular has a great perigee including playing two Queensland Cup matches for Burleigh this season as an 18 year old including Burleigh’s first final and also playing in two of Wales three Nines pool matches recently. Will Evans first match in a Titans jersey was as an 13 year old when he played at fullback against a Marsden SHS side (he was outstanding that day) at Pizzey Park thus it is great to see him training with the Titans NRL side.

Jayden Campbell, the son of legend Preston Campbell is another great Titans story in the making and was the leading try scorer and points scorer in the Hastings Deering’s Colts competition this season with the Titans beating a number of Sydney clubs for his signature on a three year contract.

Tristian Powell and Lofi Khan-Periera graduate to training with the NRL side from starting for the 2019 Queensland U18 side and even though Jed Edwards 2019 season was cruelled by injury he is a former Queensland U16 hooker and yet another local junior on the rise.

In relation to the players on NRL Development contracts I can see 18 year old second rower Juwan Compain making his NRL debut late in 2020 and also Ioane Seuili (who transitioned from centre to second row in 2019) also getting an NRL shot. Ioane Seuili is still U20 eligible in 2020 but spent the entire 2019 season (until his shoulder injury) in the Queensland Cup and Juwan Compain played in two Queensland Cup matches as a 17 year old, both playing for Tweed Heads.

Juwan Compain’s first match in a Titans jersey came when he was just 13 years old so it will be great to see a local junior progress all the way to the NRL when he makes his debut.

Former Australian school boy and PBC co-captain Toby Sexton will likely start the season in the Colts competition for Tweed Heads but clearly is highly thought of as he has been doing the drills as starting five eight in the early pre-season sessions in his first season out of the U18 ranks.

Kea Pere’s first season with the Titans was impacted by injury but has undoubted talent as well as size and speed. Late in the 2019 season he actually spent some time in the second row for the Burleigh Colts side and it will be interesting to see if the Titans are considering a permanent move there from the outside backs.

Of course there is also star in the making second rower Darius Farmer (who signed with the Titans as a 15 year old) who has overcome health issues to be on the verge of realising his deserved NRL dream as early as Round One against Canberra next season. Make no mistake Darius Farmer will bring aspects to the NRL side that no other Titans contracted player has with his size, skill and outside back type speed on the right side of the field.

Regardless of what happens in 2020 in the NRL (and we all hope we do well) the future is incredibly bright for the Titans and I can only try to assure people that the Junior Titans System (JTS) is the envy of all other clubs in the NRL. We may never get to the stage where every player that wears a Titans jersey is a local junior but heck we will not be far away in the next two or three years.

I have mentioned only the players that are training with the NRL squad in some capacity this off season but there are plenty more that will follow these players to the NRL in a Titans jersey.
    Thanks, Mdrew. A great post and very much appreciated!

Apparently we've thrown our hat in the ring for Latrell Mitchell haha

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Apparently we've thrown our hat in the ring for Latrell Mitchell haha
    Nah that was a Betoota article

QLD Cup

Cheers mdrew for that insight. Can’t wait to see a few up and comers pull on the jersey this year. Does anyone know what sort of contract Jayden Campbell signed? I find it confusing that he is train and trialist but signed a formal contract with the Titans.

Also well said Titanic. For the most part I think you have hit the nail on its head. Can’t agree regrading Mal though. His hands have been tied when it comes to recruitment and retention because of the shambles of a roster that he inherited. It’s pretty clear that he is now taking a more hands on approach to this aspect of performance and culture and who better are we to have in that position than the Kangaroo coach? It has been Mal that has been the face of negotiations in respect to Brimson and Arrow. A lot of people on here have been very critical of the club paying overs for players and this is his first step to rectifying that. It’s going to hurt if we lose either of them but I trust that Mal knows exactly what their market value should be. I’ll happily eat my words if Mal turns out to be a flop but I feel most people are happy to sink the boot in when he hasn’t even had the chance to achieve anything.