Page 16 of 217 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast

So much for it being a rumour......

Why Latrell Mitchell should sign with Gold Coast Titans, not Wests Tigers
    Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
    November 26, 2019 9:52am
    Subscriber only

The fight for Latrell Mitchell just got personal with Mal Meninga boldly declaring how he can help the out-of-favour Sydney Rooster reach his full potential as a footballer and an indigenous leader at the Gold Coast.

It follows The Daily Telegraph’s revelation that the Titans had now emerged as the Wests Tigers’ greatest threat to sign the two-time premiership-winning centre who wants to play fullback.

While Meninga couldn’t promise Mitchell would immediately wear the No.1 jumper at Gold Coast, he was passionate about how he could influence his future development.

“I think I can offer that guidance but Latrell needs to work out what he wants to do in life,” Meninga, the Titans’ head of culture and performance, said.

“I don’t know about parallel lives, but I understand where he is at in life as a 22-year-old with that profile. I believe I can help him.”

Australia’s Test coach also conceded that he had already had a telephone conversation with Mitchell and was anticipating a face-to-face meeting this week with new coach Justin Holbrook.

Holbrook also has an established relationship with Mitchell from their days together at the Roosters when the Titans coach was working under Trent Robinson.

The Tigers were expecting that Mitchell would make a decision on his future at some stage this week but this latest development could leave them hanging.

“We are interested, absolutely,” Meninga said. We want to get him up and have a chat to him. I’ve had a little chat with him.

“I just wanted to know if he was interested or not. He said, ‘Yeah, we will come up and have a yarn’.”

The rugby league Immortal explained: “I think I could provide him with a lot of help and guidance, just from my own experiences as a player and as a young person.

“I mean, he hasn’t peaked as a young fella, he is still finding his feet. He probably doesn’t quite know where he is in life at the moment.

“He has a bit of growing up to do maturity-wise and obviously with his footy that coincides with his maturity as a person. He is only 22 years of age. There is a lot in front of him.

“He would be a great acquisition for a club that was willing to put the time and effort into him.

“In the short term you are going to have your ups and downs and your bumps and bruises.

“But long term, particularly if he wants to work hard and reach his potential, there is a lot of upside.”

Part of the strength of the Tigers’ offer is a guarantee that Mitchell would play fullback.

Meninga stressed that decision at the Titans would be made by Holbrook but he believes Mitchell’s best position was still centre.

“With Latrell growing as a man and as a footy player I think fullback will become his position but at the moment my thoughts is that he is a centre and a damn good one.”

While Meninga conceded the Titans would struggle to fit Mitchell into their salary cap for the 2020 season as it stands that was not to say a deal could not be worked out.

Mitchell does have a contract with the Roosters for 2020 but Trent Robinson has already stated that the Roosters have moved on.

The Titans have a stack of players coming off contract at the end of next season but as everyone knows the NRL player transfer market is always a moving beast.

“To be honest I am not quite sure what the Roosters want to do and what Latrell wants to do,” Meninga added.

“It is like anything, if there is interest we will meet with them and see what we can do.”

**END**

Meninga is officially out of his mind. How about getting some runs on the board with turning around the $1 million dollar indigenous flop on our team at the moment. Why would you add another one.

Please don't sign this moron.

**** off Mal.

I don’t see Latrell being a flop.. his made origin and Australian squad and is only young.. I think it could be a good buy if we can manage to get him but I don’t see it happening.. Taylor hasn’t made the origin or Aus team and Mitchell already has a couple premierships to his name aswell.. I don’t think we should pay a mill for him or anything but at the right price could be a good buy.. better then all the centres we have atm

He won’t come he wants to be a fullback

Inactive User

This is so typical of our never learn from mistakes recruitment policy

It seems like he's pretty much a done deal with the Tigers and could even get announced today, this could just be Mal forcing the Tigers to fork out more for him.

Mitchell? Didn't we learn from Idris not to sign lazy sods?
    As for Boyd, that just reminds me of all the hype we heard about Taylor before this season. Fitter, faster, stronger. That worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny86 View Post
    He won’t come he wants to be a fullback
    Lets not forget, Mal sees AJ as a utility.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    It seems like he's pretty much a done deal with the Tigers and could even get announced today, this could just be Mal forcing the Tigers to fork out more for him.
    I agree. This is just mind games. He will sign with the Tigers.

This theory is not out of the realm of the impossible but stay with me here.
    So we have no money to sign a big player.
    Rumour is that Arrow is off to ?? He is on $350k $450k if he has signed say your free to go now and we don’t pay a cent
    We sign a big name player for 2020 on Arrows money this year and pay the balance over the following 2021/22 years.

All possible if the cards fall. However I like Mitchell but can be hot/ cold and could hurt moral.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

My theory with Arrow is that his manager has told him to wait and see what happens with the Rabbitohs Burgess retirement, so they can get a formal offer from Souths. Because at the moment they wouldn't be able to give any offer until they get the green light.

Apparently the newest article on Fox Sports says that Titans expect a decision next week. We will see

So Latrell has signed with the Tigers on a 4 year $5.7m deal. There's no way he's worth that much.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    So Latrell has signed with the Tigers on a 4 year $5.7m deal. There's no way he's worth that much.
    Just glad it wasn't us that signed him. THat should burn a fair bit of the Tigpies salary cap.

That's a fake tweet, he hasn't signed with Tigers

This whole Arrow affair is leaving a very sad taste in my mouth...no matter which way it goes. FFS Arrow, just make a bloody decision so that we can all move on. He has been given more time than most to make his decision and he is still lagging. I may be cynical but I believe that he has informed the client that he will be leaving and they are just waiting for the right time, after announcing re-signings such as Brimson and Sami, to let the members know.
    As for this heavy issue of whether to move to Sydney to allow his fiancé to further her career... well I just think it is an absolute crock! Sydney might be the Mecca,min Australia of the fashion and modelling industry but it is only an hour by air from the Gold Coast.I think it is reasonable to assume most, if not all of her work would be pre-booked so she could very easily plan her excursions down south. Nate Myles and his wife managed OK when they lived up here and she had TV and other commitments in Sydney. Likewise, Tara Rushton worked in Sydney while Cooper Cronk lived in Melbourne. I suppose what I am saying is that if they wanted it to work, they could make it work but I am afraid this matter has drifted into the realms of a Prima Donna exercise. Jai, don’t let the door..............( although I hope I am wrong)