Page 186 of 217 FirstFirst ... 86 136 176 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 196 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 3242
    First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Charlie Staines also free to explore the market. Anyone reckon he'd be a good buy?

Either Smith would be great!
    Staines has great potential scoring 6 tries in 2 games but is not the position we need at the moment as he was a fullback in the juniors. If he came on the market earlier sure but we have unfortunately signed Don since

If he's free to negotiate what aren't we seeing that Penrith has. I'd prefer the thrice bitten more than a little shy of Riff players.

- - - Updated - - -

#HUGENEWS

The NRL is currently in crisis talks with the RLPA over the 2021 salary cap. The cap is set to be cut by 5-10% due to the financial impact covid-19 has had on the game.

As a result NRL squad sizes are set to drop from 30 to 26-28 and development contracts to be limited to 2. Clubs can currently sign up to 6 players on development contracts.

Is this a necessary evil, or is it a step backwards for our wonderful game?

Rep Player

It’s a necessary step backwards. Unfortunately, there are very few industries that will come through this pandemic unscathed. The NRL is not special in this regard and we’re lucky the cuts aren’t worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    TITANS EYE EITHER SMITH

QUEENSLAND legend Cameron Smith isn’t the only Smith the Gold Coast Titans have their eye on.

The Titans are open to discussing a two-year contract offer with Smith to finish his glittering NRL career on the Gold Coast.

It appears unlikely Smith will play for anyone but the Melbourne Storm if he decides to soldier on into a 20th NRL campaign.
    Brandon Smith could be forced out of the Storm. Picture:: Michael Klein
    Brandon Smith could be forced out of the Storm. Picture:: Michael Klein

But that will leave the Storm in a delicate predicament given they have two of the NRL’s best young hookers sitting behind Smith.

While Harry Grant appears likely to return to Melbourne from Wests Tigers next year, the Titans are monitoring the movements of New Zealand Test star Brandon Smith.

The “other Smith” has been patiently waiting for his turn to wear the Storm’s No.9 jersey full-time and if Cameron and Grant are both in Melbourne that could squeeze him out of the club.

The Titans will be ready to pounce on either Smith if the opportunity arises.

- - - Updated - - -

TITANS PRODUCTION LINE KICKS OFF

THE Gold Coast Titans have a production line of playmaking talent working its way into the NRL.

While halfback Ash Taylor has been a multimillion-dollar flop for the Titans, the future is bright if coach Justin Holbrook can get his development program right.

Holbrook has been working with Palm Beach Currumbin product Toby Sextonthis year with the view to blooding him in the NRL next season.

dailytelegraph.com.au1:24
    Tom Weaver
    Palm Beach Currumbin High School rugby league player Tom Weaver talks to the Gold Coast Bulletin about his starring role in the opening Langer Cup game.

And he will have another promising young playmaker joining the club following the sizzling Langer Cup debut of Tom Weaver recently.

Weaver, who is contracted to the Titans, has been a highlight in the schoolboys competition for PBC and looks like a talent to watch out for in the coming years.

The Gold Coast has long been a breeding ground for top NRL talent and if the Titans can get their systems in place they will have a steady line of excellent players pulling on their jersey.
    Weaver has been good. Looks a fair few yards ahead of where Sexton was at that age too IMO. If he keeps kicking on he might be close to an NRL pre season end of this year.

First Grader

They mentioned on fox pregame that brandon smith's agent has formally let Melbourne know that if cameron Smith plays on at Melbourne next year, he will seek a release from his comtract.

Also i have heard sexton was close to going to raiders although mal convinced him to stay saying he was the future half of the club and they were looking to blood him very soon into the NRL.

No idea how much truth there is in that.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post

#HUGENEWS

The NRL is currently in crisis talks with the RLPA over the 2021 salary cap. The cap is set to be cut by 5-10% due to the financial impact covid-19 has had on the game.

As a result NRL squad sizes are set to drop from 30 to 26-28 and development contracts to be limited to 2. Clubs can currently sign up to 6 players on development contracts.

Is this a necessary evil, or is it a step backwards for our wonderful game?
    The covid angle could be legit, or they could be using it as an excuse to reshuffle the numbers to bring the other team/s on in the near future. Nevermind.. *gets back off the deck and sits back in the rocker*

NRL Casualty Ward: Jai Arrow escapes surgery in massive Maroons boost

Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
    August 20, 2020 12:07pm
    Subscriber only

The Maroons have received a State of Origin boost with forward Jai Arrow escaping shoulder surgery and cleared to play again for the Gold Coast Titans in 2020.

Arrow will not require surgery on a grade three AC joint injury and is hoping to only miss three NRL games.

Arrow, who will join South Sydney next year, suffered the painful injury in the Gold Coast’s loss to Cronulla last Saturday and the Titans feared he may have played his last game for the club.

But he received some good news after consulting with a surgeon on Wednesday and is aiming to return to the field in the coming weeks.

“I got some good news, it doesn’t require surgery,” Arrow told News Corp on Thursday.

“The doctor said because I ruptured both ligaments in the AC joint, they usually don’t do surgery. He said I should be right.

“I’m looking to be back in three or four weeks. I reckon I will get three games in, maybe four depending on pain. I will be training with the team next week.

“It definitely wasn’t my last game for the Titans so I’m cheering.”

Arrow, 25, suffered the injury when he was crunched by Cronulla’s Siosifa Talakai and attempted to soldier on with the Titans down on troops.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook was concerned Arrow may have required a shoulder reconstruction which would have ruled him out of the remainder of the NRL season and the November State of Origin series.

The Maroons are looking to snap a two-year losing streak in the upcoming series and need all hands on deck to beat the Blues.

A four-game Maroons representative, Arrow is a certainty to be selected by Queensland coach Kevin Walters and said he was happy to be in the mix.

“I got jammed from the side by Talakai and the same thing happened again two runs later — it was a double whammy,” he said.

“Origin was in the back of my mind but I’m not worried about that. I just want to get my shoulder right and get on the field as soon as possible.

“I was more worried about managing it as best as I could and playing for the Titans.

“I’ll rest and rehab it and see how the pain is over the next couple of weeks.

“As soon as the pain goes I’ll strap it up and get out there as soon as possible.”

The loss of Arrow was a blow for the Titans on the back of captain Kevin Proctor copping a four-match suspension for biting Cronulla playmaker Shaun Johnson.

Former Queensland prop Jarrod Wallace has been promoted to the starting side in Arrow’s absence for Saturday’s game against Canberra at Cbus Super Stadium.

Mark Geyer maybe knowing something being Matt's brother... reckons Smith to Titans is imminent.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/mg-...nd-2020-165510

Quote Originally Posted by TitansState View Post
    Mark Geyer maybe knowing something being Matt's brother... reckons Smith to Titans is imminent.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to dream that Smith will come to us but a lot can change in 24 hrs in League so I guess it’s a watch this space situation now.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Just make each of CSmith BSmith and Grant an offer based on what each one is worth and see who signs on first

Quote Originally Posted by TitansState View Post

Hopefully he has heard something from his brother! Just saw on Twitter that Cam's wife Barb and Matt Geyer's wife are also best friends so fingers crossed that it works in our favour too!

Not getting my hopes up yet as Smith could choose to retire this year and move to the GC but here's hoping he plays on for a couple more years

Rep Player

What do you guys think of Patrick Herbert? Apparently on the outer at the Warriors but I can't understand why as he's always looked like a gun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Hopefully he has heard something from his brother! Just saw on Twitter that Cam's wife Barb and Matt Geyer's wife are also best friends so fingers crossed that it works in our favour too!

Not getting my hopes up yet as Smith could choose to retire this year and move to the GC but here's hoping he plays on for a couple more years

Agree here BT. My guess at the minute will be that he retires. I think the time off for the injury will make him think about all things football and if he’s enjoyed not playing the past few weeks then there is his answer.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    What do you guys think of Patrick Herbert? Apparently on the outer at the Warriors but I can't understand why as he's always looked like a gun to me.
    I used to think that as well but I’ve watched a fair few games with my mates who are Warrior Fans and he makes stupid decisions and soft mistakes. He’s pretty much a younger equivalent of Peter Hiku. It’s a no from me the Warriors can keep him.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I used to think that as well but I’ve watched a fair few games with my mates who are Warrior Fans and he makes stupid decisions and soft mistakes. He’s pretty much a younger equivalent of Peter Hiku. It’s a no from me the Warriors can keep him.
    Fair enough, thanks for the insight