Page 5 of 217 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    The Bulletin looks at five Titans players under pressure to perform in the NRL next season
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

WITH a host of Titans off-contract at the end of 2020, the Bulletin looks at five players under pressure to perform in the NRL next season.

ASH TAYLOR

Viewed as the future of the club when he penned a three-year, multimillion-dollar deal at the end of 2017, Taylor was a shadow of his former self this year.

In form, the 24-year-old is one of the best halfbacks in the competition so getting the best out of him is one of new coach Justin Holbrook’s most pressing assignments.

LEILANI LATU

One of a number of former Panthers recruited by former coach Garth Brennan, Latu has so far proven to be a big-money flop.

The 26-year-old prop has all the attributes to become an NRL force but time is now ticking after spending most of his time on the Coast with Tweed in the Intrust Super Cup.

KALLUM WATKINS

Brought to the club from the Leeds Rhinos in June, the 28-year-old centre had limited chances to show his wares this year, playing just six games in a struggling Gold Coast side.

However, the Titans have a history of recruiting English flops and Watkins will be desperate to avoid having his name added to the list.

NATHAN PEATS

A three-game NSW Origin representative in 2017, the 29-year-old hooker has battled injury and inconsistency ever since.

While his workrate is unquestioned, he must find a way to become a creative spark for the Titans to become a finals hope.

KEVIN PROCTOR

The Kiwi veteran is a polarising figure among Titans fans.

Some say he is underrated and pure statistics don’t do justice to his value; others lament the former Melbourne back-rower hasn’t delivered on the things the club hoped he would bring.

Either way, next season may be the 30-year-old’s last chance to prove his worth.
    Only 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    I thought it was, buy into the ethos or leave. No one left. Semantics?? Maybe.

The "love it or leave it" rev up is an old chestnut. "We won't pay you out...you can leave if you wish (breaking your contract)...where will you go?" Etc...

I reckon next season is when it will be brought into effect. Whatever Holbrook can add to the team ethos (a Greek word for character that seems fitting here at the Titans, lol.) will be important.

We could really use the three artistic proofs that Aristotle came up with to help build culture within the playing group...and the supporters.

Ethos, Pathos and Logos.

Ethos, to convince our players and fans of our credibility by ethical appeal.

Pathos, to persuade the players and fans by emotional appeal.

Logos, to convince the players and fans through logic and reason. (This one could be hard here at times)
    I think if you asked our current playing group about ethos, pathos and logos they'd think you were talking about the three musketeers. Players get payed well to do what they didn't do last year. If they played like they're paid then the fans will be back with interest. Still leaves the club itself and the staff and management. Big year coming up. Lots to prove. Even more on the line than ever before.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I think if you asked our current playing group about ethos, pathos and logos they'd think you were talking about the three musketeers. Players get payed well to do what they didn't do last year. If they played like they're paid then the fans will be back with interest. Still leaves the club itself and the staff and management. Big year coming up. Lots to prove. Even more on the line than ever before.
    Although I don't completely disagree with this statement, I still feel that Brennan, and then later Hodges, game plan and team selections were the primary factors for the teams poor performance. At times it was laughable how clueless we were on the field going from side to side with no penetration in the middle. What made things even worse was our roster was (and still is) top heavy in the forwards and we didn't use them. Don't get me wrong there were some really poor individual performances throughout the season but it seemed to me that we had the wrong bunch of players out there for the style we were trying to play.

It is very frustrating because I think that we would all like to see a roster overhaul but the simple fact is that we payed way too much for the players that we have and nobody wants to take them off our hands.

Out of curiosity would people still want to have Fafita here after recent events? I can't see him signing a contract anytime soon as his asking price will be scrutinised but I'd still be open to the idea of having him here.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Although I don't completely disagree with this statement, I still feel that Brennan, and then later Hodges, game plan and team selections were the primary factors for the teams poor performance. At times it was laughable how clueless we were on the field going from side to side with no penetration in the middle. What made things even worse was our roster was (and still is) top heavy in the forwards and we didn't use them. Don't get me wrong there were some really poor individual performances throughout the season but it seemed to me that we had the wrong bunch of players out there for the style we were trying to play.

It is very frustrating because I think that we would all like to see a roster overhaul but the simple fact is that we payed way too much for the players that we have and nobody wants to take them off our hands.

Out of curiosity would people still want to have Fafita here after recent events? I can't see him signing a contract anytime soon as his asking price will be scrutinised but I'd still be open to the idea of having him here.
    Yeah-the one thing I can’t stomach is violence against women and children and he didn’t cross that line. Plus he is a local junior, if he wasn’t a local junior then under the circumstances I would be against it though.

So all things considered, yes I would.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Yeah-the one thing I can’t stomach is violence against women and children and he didn’t cross that line. Plus he is a local junior, if he wasn’t a local junior then under the circumstances I would be against it though.

So all things considered, yes I would.
    But it’s ok against men? Strange logic.

I’m a very forgiving person, so if Fifita expresses remorse (which he seems to have done) and shows that he has learned and grown from it, I’ve got no problem with him.

For the record, I’m with NZFan in that I believe the coaching was the biggest issue last year and there’s still a lot of quality in the roster waiting to be extracted. I recall how excited we all were prior to the 2019 season. Nothing has changed roster-wise, so we’re in the same position but with what appears to be a better coaching team.

Just watched the short clip on the website of us training, and.....I can't believe we're going into next year with nearly the exact same team that gave us the wooden spoon this year, other than the coach and assistant coach. Seeing the likes of Taylor, Roberts, Latu and Peachey in there just made me throw up in my mouth a little. It's ridiculous to expect Holbrook and Lenihan to be miracle workers and turn this wooden spoon side into even somewhat of a competitive one.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 11-11-19 at 11:03 AM.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    But it’s ok against men? Strange logic.

I’m a very forgiving person, so if Fifita expresses remorse (which he seems to have done) and shows that he has learned and grown from it, I’ve got no problem with him.

For the record, I’m with NZFan in that I believe the coaching was the biggest issue last year and there’s still a lot of quality in the roster waiting to be extracted. I recall how excited we all were prior to the 2019 season. Nothing has changed roster-wise, so we’re in the same position but with what appears to be a better coaching team.
    Haven’t you ever been out after midnight? It happens.
    Wilhelm you just verballed me and said I think violence against men is ok. That is absolutely appalling. I talked about where the line is in terms of signing players.
    I’m answering NZFan’s question about whether to take Fifita back or not and giving detail.
    Read people’s posts before you go about attacking people and verballing them.

I've lived on the Gold Coast all my life, who hasn't punched a bouncer and vice versa? If we can get Fifita then grab him. Do I think we have a chance or are even in the running? No. Brisbane have done the same thing they've done with Lodge, got him off the hook, now he owes them. Should count as part of their salary cap.

Coaching was definitely a factor last year, no doubt. Problem this year is that we have no idea if we have fixed that. Same team that for two years now has given up and blamed the coach. What would give me satisfaction?, sacking half the team. Can't happen and won't happen. Might explain why I'm on the other side of the line of excited for our prospects this year.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I've lived on the Gold Coast all my life, who hasn't punched a bouncer and vice versa? If we can get Fifita then grab him. Do I think we have a chance or are even in the running? No. Brisbane have done the same thing they've done with Lodge, got him off the hook, now he owes them. Should count as part of their salary cap.

Coaching was definitely a factor last year, no doubt. Problem this year is that we have no idea if we have fixed that. Same team that for two years now has given up and blamed the coach. What would give me satisfaction?, sacking half the team. Can't happen and won't happen. Might explain why I'm on the other side of the line of excited for our prospects this year.
    Yeah I lived a few years in my mid 20s living/working/playing footy in Far West NSW so a brawl after midnight to me while it being something I hated was something you’d also just have to deal with sometimes. Groups of blokes ganging up on individuals or smaller groups is untolerable or if there’s a power/age differential that makes it a cowardly act too are unacceptable.
    Go after a woman or kid though and you deserve a maximum response.

Not keen on taking other clubs trouble but I’m willing to make an exception for any local junior in this case as it’s not crossed the lines I’ve outlined above.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 11-11-19 at 01:55 PM.

I'd take Fifita in a heartbeat!

In general...I don't think players lose their ability to play the game to their best. They lose confidence in the set up around them and that affects their performances. Yes they are professional athletes...but they need to have confidence building coaches around them. Every sporting team does. That's what good coaches do. They instil belief and encourage further development through confidence building.

We have a number of rep players in our side...and we have some genuine young contenders on the books. We had no idea in the coaching department this year, or the year before that if I'm honest. No idea. Our coach even seemed to hold some sort of grudges against certain players and was loyal to others.

What does that get you? An entire team of players that in one way or another don't give a crap. Some are pets and don't put in much effort...the others give up because they know their efforts won't get them picked.

Add injuries and you've got yourself a classic mess. Once Brennan was punted...Hodges and Burt went on to show that they had no control or ideas for the team. They simply went through the motions until the last round.

I am very, very sure that the new coaches will know how to get the best out of this side. It may take a little while...but that's what the off season/trials are for.

All that is my personal opinion only.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Just watched the short clip on the website of us training, and.....I can't believe we're going into next year with nearly the exact same team that gave us the wooden spoon this year, other than the coach and assistant coach. Seeing the likes of Taylor, Roberts, Latu and Peachey in there just made me throw up in my mouth a little. It's ridiculous to expect Holbrook and Lenihan to be miracle workers and turn this wooden spoon side into even somewhat of a competitive one.
    Did anyone else notice how small Stone is? I really don't understand why we signed him. Cracked me up a little when they were talking abut focusing on the basics and Peachey is in the background throwing a pass well over shoulder height during a simple drill.

[QUOTE=NZFan;399314]Did anyone else notice how small Stone is?
    Really? I have been to three of the sessions this year and in none of them did Stone look small. He is a tall, rangy lad and he looks pretty fit coming into the preseason.

QLD Cup

[QUOTE=Firetruck;399317]
    Did anyone else notice how small Stone is?
    Really? I have been to three of the sessions this year and in none of them did Stone look small. He is a tall, rangy lad and he looks pretty fit coming into the preseason.
    Watching him lift those weights I thought that he looked very lean. Like he is 10kg off where he should be. Might just be my biased opinion

[QUOTE=Firetruck;399317]
    Did anyone else notice how small Stone is?
    Sam is around the 6ft 4in mark and about 103kg. Some think he needs to add more weight...but that can work against you sometimes.

I compare him in body size to Steve Simpson who was 6ft 3in and 104kg...and a very handy backrower.
    Last edited by Menoitios; 12-11-19 at 11:36 AM.

[QUOTE=Menoitios;399320]
    Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post

Sam is around the 6ft 4in mark and about 103kg. Some think he needs to add more weight...but that can work against you sometimes.

I compare him in body size to Steve Simpson who was 6ft 3in and 104kg...and a very handy backrower.
    I could see how people could confuse Sam Stone with Toby Sexton they look similar
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan