Page 118 of 217 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 128 168 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 3242

NRL 2020 contracts: John Asiata set to quit North Queensland Cowboys
    A Cowboys premiership forward is on the verge of quitting North Queensland with four NRL rivals tabling offers to one of the most skilled big men in the competition.
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail

Subscriber only
    |
    July 1, 2020 9:27pm

John Asiata is on the verge of quitting the Cowboys with the premiership utility weighing up three rival offers including overtures from Queensland rivals the Titans.
    Asiata, one of North Queensland’s most popular players, is in danger of being lost to the club unless the Cowboys can table an eleventh-hour bid to stop him leaving Townsville.
    Arguably the most versatile player in the NRL, Asiata is off-contract at season’s end and has attracted strong interest from rival NRL clubs headed by the Titans and St George Illawarra Dragons.

The Raiders are also in the frame with Canberra coach Ricky Stuart having cash to spend after British star John Bateman‘s decision to leave the Green Machine at the end of the season.
    There is a possibility Asiata, currently sidelined with a knee injury, may have played his last game for the Cowboys with the Dragons having discussed an immediate transfer for the Tongan international.
    The 27-year-old has no issue with coach Paul Green but is keen to secure a regular starting berth with Cowboys sensation Jason Taumalolo having a stranglehold on Asiata’s preferred No. 13 jumper.

“I am considering all of my options,” Asiata said.
    “I have enjoyed my time at the Cowboys but I wish to secure the starting No.13 jersey which is currently held by the best forward in the world, so I will look elsewhere to further my career.

“I feel I can improve my game and have heard good things about Justin Holbrook (Gold Coast coach) from my former teammate Lachlan Coote (who played under him at St Helens) and some of the Titans boys who know him well.
    “I know whatever team I join I can assist with leadership and now with the change to the six-again rule my ability to ball-play at the line will be an advantage.
    “It is a process which I have left my agent to deal with.”
    The Cowboys will hold further talks with Asiata this week but may struggle to match offers from the Titans, Dragons and Raiders.
    The clever Asiata has tallied 121 first-grade games for the Cowboys and played a handy interchange role in the club’s maiden premiership win in 2015.
    “John is in demand and will add a creative influence to any roster with his skill set, there are few middle-forwards with his footwork and ball skills,” said his manager Chris Orr of PSM.
    “We are in talks with a few clubs. John has not ruled out staying at the Cowboys but we will look to finalise the matter soon.”

A coach that players from other clubs want to play under - what a luxury!

QLD Cup

I don’t dislike Asiata but where do we see him playing? Is he good enough to be a starting lock or will he be a bench forward and provide impact? The reason why I say this is because if you look at the balance of the team we already have Peachey filling that role. In an ideal world you’d swap them but that isn’t really an option. We stand to loose our toughest player in Arrow and pick up another ball player. Holbrook isn’t Brennan but I’d hate to see us go down the same path and have a team full of players that offer the same thing but be short on other skill sets.

Inactive User

I’m a wayyyy bigger supporter of Don than 90% of you guys in here but this push to resign Don especially in social media concerns me in the sense that we need to reshape our salary cap. In order to do that he needs to be paid what a depth winger is paid which is the minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I’m a wayyyy bigger supporter of Don than 90% of you guys in here but this push to resign Don especially in social media concerns me in the sense that we need to reshape our salary cap. In order to do that he needs to be paid what a depth winger is paid which is the minimum wage.
    Which is exactly what is happening apparently, the article stated that he would accept a minimum deal contract for 1 season. We would be foolish not to sign it imo. He shouldn't be starting next year but having him on 100k or whatever the minimum deal is would be worth it for his depth, experience and effect on team culture.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Which is exactly what is happening apparently, the article stated that he would accept a minimum deal contract for 1 season. We would be foolish not to sign it imo. He shouldn't be starting next year but having him on 100k or whatever the minimum deal is would be worth it for his depth, experience and effect on team culture.
    A “shade over minimum wage”. Well I guess I’d like to know the definition of a shade.

Inactive User

Asiata is theoretically a good replacement for Arrow. Wouldn’t go paying overs though.

I don't think Asiata will come for minimum but he is right, with the speed of the game now a ball playing lock (that can tackle) is worth Peacheys wage. I doubt Peachey comes into Holbrooks long term plans and if we can offload him a year early than even better.

You wouldn't replace Don and his experience in this team for what he's asking so sign him up and let the fringe players we keep recycling go.

Worries me that the Wallace transfer to the Dragons has gone quiet. Best not to continue to play him if we have nothing to gain from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    A coach that players from other clubs want to play under - what a luxury!
    It's great to hear rival players speak well on our coach
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I don't think Asiata will come for minimum but he is right, with the speed of the game now a ball playing lock (that can tackle) is worth Peacheys wage. I doubt Peachey comes into Holbrooks long term plans and if we can offload him a year early than even better.

You wouldn't replace Don and his experience in this team for what he's asking so sign him up and let the fringe players we keep recycling go.

Worries me that the Wallace transfer to the Dragons has gone quiet. Best not to continue to play him if we have nothing to gain from it.
    Think the Dragons plans hinge on if they get Asiata or Bateman, appears unlikely they will get either of them so when that transpires maybe they will take Wallace off our hands

Rep Player

I'll be celebrating if we get Asiata and Dragons get Bateman and Wallace. Asiata is worth much more than minimum wage.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    I'll be celebrating if we get Asiata and Dragons get Bateman and Wallace. Asiata is worth much more than minimum wage.
    I wish we would stop giving Wallace game time. Putting the spotlight on his lack of ability. After last week no wonder Dragons have gone quiet.

Looks like our forward pack for next year is set if all signings go ahead. If Fifita doesn’t sign I’d like to see Tino in the backrow but only if he can be just as good

8. Mo
    10. Tino/Ese ese
    11. Fermor/ Proctor
    12. Fifta/ Tino
    13. Asiata
    15. Lisone
    16. James/ Joliffe/ Wallace

I think the most important position we need to chase now is definitely a good hooker to play off the back of that strong pack.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by elltee View Post
    I wish we would stop giving Wallace game time. Putting the spotlight on his lack of ability. After last week no wonder Dragons have gone quiet.
    Absolutely mate. Letting him play is tanking his value

Junior

Take Fifi out of that and it's still a bottom 8 pack