Page 57 of 217 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 107 157 ... LastLast

The whole Ryan James situation is a great example of how wealthy clubs get to double dip. James out for the season, third ACL, probably won't get a contract or play again (unfortunately). If the club had his $700k sitting around like the Rabbitohs, he could be medically retired and paid a fee over the next couple of years to cover and equal his loss of this years wage and we get another $700k in the kitty for this year to go shopping with or forward pay others.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    The whole Ryan James situation is a great example of how wealthy clubs get to double dip. James out for the season, third ACL, probably won't get a contract or play again (unfortunately). If the club had his $700k sitting around like the Rabbitohs, he could be medically retired and paid a fee over the next couple of years to cover and equal his loss of this years wage and we get another $700k in the kitty for this year to go shopping with or forward pay others.
    Totally agree this medical retirement is a joke as its only for the richer clubs to benefit

Sure but doesn’t the player have to retire first.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sure but doesn’t the player have to retire first.
    100%. So the quotes and articles are already out there that if he stays he may have to take a pay cut. So if reality sets in and he isn't offered a contract and then he retires at years end. Lost opportunity (if we had a rich club).

I was thinking this today. We were a victim of medical retirement of Sam Burgess. Heaven forbid the Rabbitohs would go without.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

BEAU’S TITANS INTENTIONS SET IN STONE
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

TITANS recruit Beau Fermor has revealed how a glowing endorsement from former Newcastle teammate Sam Stone helped convince him to join Justin Holbrook’s Gold Coast revolution.

A Queensland under-20s representative in 2018, back-rower Fermor took part in his first pre-season session at Parkwood on Monday, just days after gaining a release from Newcastle to sign a three-year deal with the Titans.

On the comeback from the knee reconstruction he had midway through last year, the 21-year-old Dalby product met new coach Holbrook and performance and culture boss Mal Meninga last month to discuss a move north.

But it was the influence of Stone, who played eight games for Gold Coast last season after arriving from the Knights in June, that proved just as crucial.

“When I first found out I had an offer and that I was looking to come to the Titans I called him and asked what the club was like and he had nothing but good words to say,” said Fermor, who played alongside Stone in Newcastle’s NSW Cup side in 2018-19.

“He was really big on me coming here and had nothing but good things to say. I came down a couple of weeks ago and had a meeting with Mal and Justin and all the staff, and I really enjoyed what the club had to offer for me.

“It wasn’t that I wanted to leave Newcastle, I was happy there but (there was) an opportunity to be a lot closer to my family, being a Dalby boy. It’s only two-and-a-half hours away from home here so I can whip home on a weekend and see Mum and Dad if I wanted to.

“I had an opportunity that I thought was really good for myself and my partner to come here and we’re really stoked that the Titans will have us and I’m over the moon to be here. Hopefully I can put my best foot forward on the field.”

Fermor was agonisingly close to an NRL debut at the Knights before a torn ACL ended his 2019 season.

Having spent time in the under-20s at Melbourne and Newcastle, he is now hoping to make his top-grade mark when he returns to the field in the early stages of 2020.

“Nathan Brown was the coach at the Knights (last year) and he had conversations with me that he wanted me to play (in the NRL),” Fermor said.

“I had just had a slight injury before I did my (knee) injury so he wanted me to get some game time under my belt before I played and unfortunately I did my ACL in a tackle. I was so close last year and it’s always been a dream of mine to play NRL so it’ll make it all a bit sweeter coming back from a big injury that is an ACL.

“My rehab is going really well – I was six months in last week – so I’ve got about three months to go and everything has been smooth so far.

“I haven’t had any setbacks or anything so hopefully it continues.

“I see the surgeon again in two weeks to get a more rock solid idea of when I’ll be coming back. It should be fairly early in the season and then obviously I’ll have to come back through Queensland Cup.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

So the Bulldogs get the guy we've all been talking up...yeah sounds about right. Our recruitment team is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    So the Bulldogs get the guy we've all been talking up...yeah sounds about right. Our recruitment team is useless.
    Disappointing outcome but picking up Tino from the Storm is a good start for next year and some good junior signings. Recruitment team aren’t hopeless sometimes another offer is just better.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonm View Post
    Disappointing outcome but picking up Tino from the Storm is a good start for next year and some good junior signings. Recruitment team aren’t hopeless sometimes another offer is just better.
    I agree. We’ve had some great signings recently in Tino and Fermor. It’s not fair to overlook those and criticise just on the basis of missing out on Thompson. We don’t even know how much they’re paying him.

Tino and Fermor are both young and lack experience. At least with Thompson we knew what we were going to get. Not sure why everyone around here is hyping up those young signings when history tells us that most of them do not improve under us.

Now now 101 let's not start the new season off in reverse. I would've liked Thompson too but then again I've got a history of backing the Pommies that crash and burn (Greenwood and Sarge to name a couple). I'm also our recruitment mobs biggest critic, however, I firmly believe that the way to pull us out of the toilet is to stop buying "marquee' tossers and start saving cash for up-grading tried and tested performers while giving youth a decent chance. Tino, Fermor and Farmer all lack experience for sure but one ageing Pommie prop isn't going to save us. Our coach would surely have had the inside running on him so I doubt the recruitment team had much to do with it ... more likely we just got out-bid. 2020 will certainly be an interesting offering.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    And if we paid overs for him the other half of the forum would be blowing up. Reports are up to $800k for three years. No doubt Holbrook has massive praise for the guy but the club may have peaked their offer at $700k. We are supposed to be a development club so I guess we just have to develop the young guys and have the salary cap left to manage paying those that deserve it upgrades.

On phone so not going to quote you guys individually, but;

Those marquee players that we signed from Penrith either hadn't played good football for months or over a year or never wanted to be here in the first place. We were literally a dumping ground for Penrith, and Boyd as well who'd been having serious hamstring issues even leading up to his ludicrous signing. Greenwood was never a highly rated player in the SL either. So some of those comparisons are a little unfair imo. Not sure about your ageing quote Titanic, he's only 24 years of age, that's still young.

But can you blame me for having no faith in our developmental system? Young talent rarely ever improve under us once they hit NRL level, despite the amount of young players that are talked up on here either coming through the 20s or signed elsewhere.

I know I'm in the minority, but that's just my 2c anyway.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 07-02-20 at 01:33 PM.

Totally fine with all that 101 but we’re nothing without hope so the seemingly annual “let’s give the new bloke a chance” is what’s left I suppose.

Rep Player

I blame the Penrith signings + Boyd on Garth. Holbrook isn't Garth.