Page 140 of 217 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 150 190 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 3242

Long time Hipgrave fan too ... remember watching him bust Newie down their left edge at one of the few games I’ve been home for. A QLD Bird and would hate to see him go.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Perfectly said and I agree with every word mate
    Agree with you and Indoal
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

These comparisons with Greg Bird has to be a collective Gee Up.
    Turn it up you blokes.

Hipgrave definitely a good club man that would probably die for this club so I’d love to keep him around but only for the right price. I wouldn’t go paying overs for him if a super league club comes knocking with bigger cash. As sad as it would be to lose someone with his heart, he’s not worth breaking the bank for. Hopefully a reasonable deal for both parties gets worked out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also wonder when a decision will be made in regards to Ryan James. Been no whispers or rumours about the club or Ryan making a decision one way or another and it’s not like he’s able to play to earn a contract. Would love to keep him but on a pay cut (say around 300k)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    These comparisons with Greg Bird has to be a collective Gee Up.
    Turn it up you blokes.
    C’mon Bodsie ... we all know he’s not the Birdman but he’s ours and he’s a bit crazy and can only get better so get on board :-)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    This is wild considering what was said of him before his form upswing a month ago lmao

Go back to 2019 match threads and see how much love he got
    Isn’t that called developing?

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    I'm one of Hipgraves biggest fans and would be in the minority when I value him absolutely crucial to our plans going forward. Keegan has something in him which can't be taught or trained into a player, he will break his body for the club, he will back up his mates in any biff, he has brainsnaps and handling issues but that can be fixed. Greg Bird had issues too when he started but turned into a representative player without the most skill or physical gifts.

I think the best way to measure Keegan is how he impacts the players around him, he doesn't have the most skill or size but he always competes and I thoroughly believe he will bring up and give confidence to the players around him. If I was a team captain he is one of the players you would want to be in the trenches with you, he's an absolute team player, he never wants to let down the 17.
    Couldn’t have said it better Indo. Even when he was going through a rough patch discipline wise he was still one of the first players I would have picked. I’ve never seen him play a game where he hasn’t given 100%. Apart from Arrow there isn’t many players in this team that you could say that about.

First Grader

The Titans have turned heads around the NRL with their massive contract offer to Broncos backrower David Fifita but club heavyweight Mal Meninga is standing by the approach.

Gold Coast culture boss Meninga said the club are looking to build around the 20-year-old and they're happy to part with a reported $1.25 million to make it happen.

Fifita is reportedly only looking for a one-year deal due to issues with his management, but Meninga is confident that will be enough time to convince him to remain on the coast.

MORE: Peter V'landys declares NRL 'highly unlikely' to follow AFL to Queensland

Speaking to SEN on Thursday, the Immortal defended the club's eye-watering offer to the 37-gamer.

"I personally believe he’s a marquee player, I honestly believe he's a player that you can invest in long-term and build a team around and attract players to the team," Meninga said.

"He's been a highly successful person and player right through his juniors, he's been a leader, we do lack a little bit of leadership at our club and I think he's a future leader, if not a leader now.

"We're willing to invest in a player of his ilk, who is a Queenslander, he doesn't live far away from the Gold Coast, he went to school on the Gold Coast.

"But we're going to build a team around him as well, we're not just going to rely on David Fifita to pull us out of where we've been."

Fifita has already changed his mind several times in recent weeks, reportedly verbally committing to both clubs at different stages.

Many pundits have questioned the wisdom of such a significant contract offer to a player who may only be at the club for one season, though Meninga is backing the Titans to retain Fifita, even if he does join on a one-year deal.

"We've got to start somewhere, we're of the mindset that we get a player who is very valuable and be a huge asset to our club," Meninga said.

"We've got an opportunity to show him how good we are, where we're heading... give him a taste of the Titans and we believe we can keep players."

The Titans last week added Newcastle middle man Herman Ese'ese to their roster, while they have already secured Storm edge forward Tino Fa'asuamaleaui for next season, going some way to mitigate the loss of Jai Arrow.

They currently sit 15th on the ladder ahead of a meeting with Melbourne on Friday evening.

STORM
    How Tino earned grandfather Bellamy's blessing for Titans move

Author
    Dan Walsh
    NRL.com Reporter
    Timestamp
    Fri 17 Jul 2020, 08:01 AM
    Dan Walsh
    Share via Facebook
    Share via Twitter
    Share via Whats-app
    Share via Reddit
    Share via Email
    Dianne Fa'asuamaleaui simply wanted to hold her new granddaughter more than a couple of times a year.

And just like that, the doting grandfather in Craig Bellamy took all the tension out of "the toughest conversation" his towering 197-centimetre forward reckons he has ever waded into.

The Titans and Broncos are still waiting on tenterhooks for David Fifita's verdict on the $1 million-plus offer put to him by Gold Coast powerbroker Mal Meninga.

But the rebuilding Glitter Strip outfit will get an up close and personal look at their other sizable recruitment target on Friday night, when Tino Fa'asuamaleaui takes on his future Titans teammates.

Meninga's poaching of the rising 20-year-old behemoth from under Melbourne's noses put a few out of joint at the club, with the club's release statement referencing the money offered for a player who would be "competing for a spot in [the] Storm's best 17 in 2020".

The money on offer from the Titans was indeed enough to make a five-game NRL rookie's head spin.

Fa'asuamaleaui's three-year deal is understood to be worth a little under $2 million.

Storm forward Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.
    Storm forward Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.
    ©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
    But as soon as Fa'asuamaleaui explained the strong family ties pulling him, partner Jordan and their first-born Alina back to Queensland, Bellamy put him at ease.

"I was so nervous when I knew I had to tell Craig my decision," Fa'asuamaleaui told NRL.com earlier this year.

"It took me a while to build up to it for sure. But Craig is a family man and always has been.

"He makes it such a big part of the Storm's culture. And we're down here in Melbourne with my family back home in Gympie, it's hard sometimes for us as young parents.

"Craig put me at ease straight away about leaving. He said 'you've got to do what's best for your family', and he's actually so good with kids, he's always asking how we're doing and how she's growing.

"You know he's genuine about his interest and that's why he's such a good coach, he cares so much.

"But [the Gold Coast move] is obviously a while away, and that's what I said to him as well.

"There's still plenty of work to do here, and that's my focus."

Having earned Bellamy's blessing, Fa'asuamaleaui set himself on repaying it straight away.

Soon after his inking of that lucrative Titans deal came suggestions the Gold Coast wanted him a year early as South Sydney pursued Jai Arrow along the same lines.

In reality Melbourne were always unlikely to release the strapping Samoan and Junior Kangaroos representative this year.

But Fa'asuamaleaui is understood to have made clear to both clubs that while he was still contracted to the Storm, that is where he would be playing.

Smith sends Fa'asuamaleaui over

As 2020 has progressed Fa'asuamaleaui has progressively played the house down.

Bellamy has steadily upped his minutes off the bench, with the big man averaging 115 metres and 20 tackles from 33 minutes a game.

His first run-on start last week against Canberra saw Fa'asuamaleaui ramp that up to 113 metres, 36 tackles and five tackle busts.

The Titans are getting a good one.

Alongside Moeaki Fotuaika and potentially Fifita, the Gold Coast are aiming to rebuild around three of the game's best young forwards.

But for now Fa'asuamaleaui has both of those giant feet firmly in the Storm's camp, where a small army of wives, partners and kids have made themselves at home with the players in Twin Waters.

"The Titans move is a real opportunity for myself and my family," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"It's a chance to challenge myself and try and help a club build up to more success, which is something that really appeals to me.

"But like I said, that's a fair way off, and I've got a lot more to learn and achieve with Melbourne first.

"I'll always be grateful to Bellyache and all the coaches and players here. I want to pay them back for all they've done for me."

https://twitter.com/dan_walsh64/stat...113272832?s=21
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Tino seems like such a well grounded young bloke with a great value set. Super excited to have him join us.

Shame we don't think we can build a club around him and the Ferminator. Save them $$ for where we need it.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Shame we don't think we can build a club around him and the Ferminator. Save them $$ for where we need it.
    Ferminator. I like it. Starling looked sharp last night for the green machine. Will be keeping an eye on him for sure.

The ferminator. Love it. On Hipgrave, I thought it would be best he was dropped after his shocker after a month ago. However, I think you have to take the good with the bad as his passion is second to none. Who doesn't love someone who gets sent off twice in one match?

Walker Brothers sign one year deal to coach the Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nols of the Goldy View Post
    Walker Brothers sign one year deal to coach the Warriors.
    God help them.