Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Holbrook has confirmed the club will farewell a trio of stars as it continues the rebuild of its roster for next season.

Forwards Bryce Cartwright, Shannon Boyd and Ryan James are set to leave immediately, in a move that looks set to free up close to over $1 million in Titans' salary-cap for 2021. It comes as the Gold Coast confirmed the acquisition of boom backrower David Fifita on a rich $1.25 million deal, the Broncos star joining the Knights' Herman Ese'ese and Storms' Tino

The Courier Mail reported this week Cartwright had requested for release from the final 1.5 years of his rich contract with the club to move home to Sydney.

While Holbrook denied Cartwright had sought a release, he hinted the former Panthers star hasn't yet decided whether he would join an NRL, or potentially take some time away from the game. "No he [Cartwright] hasn't [asked for a realee], not that I'm aware of," Holbrook told reporters on Friday.

"It's sort of ongoing, it's always been a personal issue with Carty, nothing that us at the Titans or rugby league for that matter have got to do with it. "It's a personal issue that takes him back to Sydney, that's something that he's got to work through. "I don't know exactly, I don't want to get into all the legalities around it, it's clear that he has to go back to Sydney a fair bit and he's best off down there, if I'm honest with you. I'm not exactly sure on where he'll finish."

While Boyd has long been reported to be considering early retirement to return to work with his family's farming business in rural NSW, having struggled since arriving on the Glitter Strip.

A Kangaroos representative in 2017, Boyd landed at the Titans on a rich deal ahead of last season but form and injuries have restricted the big-bodied prop to just 14 appearances. Holbrook said the 27-year-old was comfortable with his decision to walk away from the game and said the club would support his decision.

Meanwhile, James will also leave the Titans as he looks to revive his injury-riddled career in the nation's capital. Reports emerged this week linked the off-contract James to the Canberra Raiders as Ricky Stuart looks for reinforcements to his forward pack for next year. James has been sidelined for most of the past two years, after succumbing to back-to-back ACL ruptures. It's believed his signing with the Raiders is all but confirmed and awaiting medical clearance.

"It's been a frustrating couple of years for Ryan, which is disappointing for himself and our club that's for sure, but obviously he's decided his future for next year now," Holbrook said. "We wish him all the best. He's been tremendous for our club here for a long time and it's been a. frustrating end to his career. As I said we wish him all the best."