Page 107 of 217 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 157 207 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 3242

I don’t see why we’d go for him anyway when we have AJ for fullback next year? What other positions can Niu play

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...0a0f2416d62397

Badel’s reporting that Niu verbally agreed to join us for 2021 but now Broncos have upped their offer and its a bidding war between us. Also said that they believe giving him his starting debut should be enough to secure him.
    Can you post the story so we can read it please? I thought he had already agreed to a broncos thing awhile ago or I might be thinking someone else

The Broncos-Titans derby has taken on an explosive edge following revelations the Gold Coast and Brisbane are locked in a fierce bidding war for teenage sensation Tesi Niu.

The Broncos are hoping Niu’s starting debut at fullback for Saturday’s clash at Suncorp Stadium can be the ace up their sleeve in staving off a concerted poaching raid from Titans culture chief Mal Meninga.

The Courier-Mail understands the off-contract Niu had verbally agreed to join the Titans from 2021, but the Broncos have upped the ante in a bid to keep the 18-year-old away from the Gold Coast.

Broncos young gun Tesi Niu is in high demand. Picture: Darren England/AAP
    The Broncos and Titans have both submitted offers for Niu, the Marsden High product who is rated Brisbane’s best fullback talent in the past 25 years.

Meninga privately believed he had got his man, but the Titans have yet to receive a formal signature and Brisbane’s decision to blood Niu in the starting side this week could prove decisive in the contractual tug of war.

As revealed by The Courier-Mail, Jamayne Isaako has been axed as Broncos fullback, with coach Anthony Seibold handing Niu the No.1 jumper as Brisbane look to snap a four-match losing streak against the Titans.

Titans culture chief Mal Meninga wants to bring Tesi Niu to the Gold Coast. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images
    Titans culture chief Mal Meninga wants to bring Tesi Niu to the Gold Coast. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images
    Broncos teammate Issac Luke knows a special talent when he sees one and after 275 first-grade games, the veteran hooker has no doubt Niu has the drive to succeed in the NRL.

“He’s got talent,” Luke said.

“Being in a good franchise like the Broncos and a good environment, there are going to be a lot of superstars here.

“Every kid has got talent but with Tesi ... he just works hard. His work ethic is through the roof.

“That is something that most Polynesian kids need. If they get that then their talent will just blossom, and that is what Tesi has.”

The relegation of Isaako has prompted public backlash given Seibold has chosen to retain struggling trio Darius Boyd, Anthony Milford and Brodie Croft for the Titans game.

Jamayne Isaako’s axing has attracted criticism. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
    Jamayne Isaako’s axing has attracted criticism. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
    Isaako has been one of Brisbane’s more consistent performers in the opening six rounds and the Titans are wondering whether Niu’s promotion is a strategic move to trump them at the negotiating table.

The Broncos tabled an extension for Niu last month and are confident they are in the final stages of securing his signature with the backline flyer to seal his future in the next fortnight.

In other team changes, Seibold will be without suspended duo Tom Flegler and Pat Carrigan.

Ofahengaue will replace Carrigan at lock, while Rhys Kennedy will replace Flegler on an interchange bench also comprising Ben Te’o, Jamil Hopoate and Isaako, who will be Brisbane’s No.14 utility.

Hopoate will replace Cory Paix after the hooker suffered a slight pectoral strain at training on Tuesday.

“We can’t dwell on the past,” rookie winger Xavier Coates said of Brisbane’s form slump.

“We just have to move forward and play the best footy we can in the next weeks coming up

Junior

The Broncos-Titans derby has taken on an explosive edge following revelations the Gold Coast and Brisbane are locked in a fierce bidding war for teenage sensation Tesi Niu.

The Broncos are hoping Niu’s starting debut at fullback for Saturday’s clash at Suncorp Stadium can be the ace up their sleeve in staving off a concerted poaching raid from Titans culture chief Mal Meninga.

The Courier-Mail understands the off-contract Niu had verbally agreed to join the Titans from 2021, but the Broncos have upped the ante in a bid to keep the 18-year-old away from the Gold Coast.

The Broncos and Titans have both submitted offers for Niu, the Marsden High product who is rated Brisbane’s best fullback talent in the past 25 years.

Meninga privately believed he had got his man, but the Titans have yet to receive a formal signature and Brisbane’s decision to blood Niu in the starting side this week could prove decisive in the contractual tug of war.

As revealed by The Courier-Mail, Jamayne Isaako has been axed as Broncos fullback, with coach Anthony Seibold handing Niu the No.1 jumper as Brisbane look to snap a four-match losing streak against the Titans.

Broncos teammate Issac Luke knows a special talent when he sees one and after 275 first-grade games, the veteran hooker has no doubt Niu has the drive to succeed in the NRL.

“He’s got talent,” Luke said.

“Being in a good franchise like the Broncos and a good environment, there are going to be a lot of superstars here.

“Every kid has got talent but with Tesi ... he just works hard. His work ethic is through the roof.

“That is something that most Polynesian kids need. If they get that then their talent will just blossom, and that is what Tesi has.”

The relegation of Isaako has prompted public backlash given Seibold has chosen to retain struggling trio Darius Boyd, Anthony Milford and Brodie Croft for the Titans game.

Isaako has been one of Brisbane’s more consistent performers in the opening six rounds and the Titans are wondering whether Niu’s promotion is a strategic move to trump them at the negotiating table.

The Broncos tabled an extension for Niu last month and are confident they are in the final stages of securing his signature with the backline flyer to seal his future in the next fortnight.

In other team changes, Seibold will be without suspended duo Tom Flegler and Pat Carrigan.

Ofahengaue will replace Carrigan at lock, while Rhys Kennedy will replace Flegler on an interchange bench also comprising Ben Te’o, Jamil Hopoate and Isaako, who will be Brisbane’s No.14 utility.

Hopoate will replace Cory Paix after the hooker suffered a slight pectoral strain at training on Tuesday.

“We can’t dwell on the past,” rookie winger Xavier Coates said of Brisbane’s form slump.

“We just have to move forward and play the best footy we can in the next weeks coming up
    One would hope this was all before gaining Thompson. The last thing we need is 3 small fullbacks on the list.

Titans have tabled David Fifita $5 million over 5 years with the option to upgrade to a lifetime deal

https://amp.couriermail.com.au/sport...3d04c7b9d85928

Rep Player

I don’t see why we’d go for him anyway when we have AJ for fullback next year? What other positions can Niu play
    Mal has said he sees AJ as a utility

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    Titans have tabled David Fifita $5 million over 5 years with the option to upgrade to a lifetime deal

Can you post this article?

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post

The only player in the world I would pay overs to.
    This is a good play.

Usually not a fan of these long term deals but agreed Bods, Fifita is the type of guy you would definitely offer that to. Seriously going to be the best second rower in the game in a couple of years in my opinion. Just imagine:

11. Tino
    12. Fifita

I guess we can have a look at him this weekend and see what the hype is about. If he plays up to the reports then I am happy to sign him. We should never turn our back on quality.

Force Brissy to choose one. I like it, super aggressive from us. Not sure how Fifita could turn down a 5/5, and it's not like the Broncos look like the same dominant powerhouse they have been over us in the past. I like our chances right now.

8. Fotuaika
    11. Faasuamaleaui
    12. Fifita

Maybe bring James back, the 9 would need addressing but you'd have the likes of Hipgrave, Fermor and Farmer around, it looks like an extremely exciting young pack.

Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    The only player in the world I would pay overs to.
    This is a good play.
    Yep agreed, If we get Fifi and Nui from under the Bronco's that would just make it sweeter.

First Grader

Tallis is also urging Fifita to quit the Broncos for the Titans. The article is saying Fifita would lose $1.5 million over 5 years if he rejected the Titans. On the Tesi issue, he has so much skill and good friends with Tino and so is Fifita

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Usually not a fan of these long term deals but agreed Bods, Fifita is the type of guy you would definitely offer that to. Seriously going to be the best second rower in the game in a couple of years in my opinion. Just imagine:

11. Tino
    12. Fifita

With his age, his ability and his local connections I genuinely believe he would have a flow on affect of ensuring Our best local juniors want to stay and he’d draw players from elsewhere such as the Drongoe talent that they’ve poached off us in recent history.

He would be The Rainmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    With his age, his ability and his local connections I genuinely believe he would have a flow on affect of ensuring Our best local juniors want to stay and he’d draw players from elsewhere such as the Drongoe talent that they’ve poached off us in recent history.

He would be The Rainmaker.
    Yeah Bods I think he would be a massive part of the puzzle.
    I have watched the Dogs, Sharks, and Dragons a fair bit in the last few weeks and we are clearly the worst side in the comp and by a long way. I have no doubt the spoon will be ours this year and possibly by as clear a margin as last season. To me this is not surprising as we need to clear out the trash and give Holbrook a side. Fifita is one part but we'll need to convince him that other signings are going to happen. We need a half, centre,prop, and winger, at least to go with him. Otherwise why would you come here to get flogged every week.

- - - Updated - - -

You are placing a lot of hope on AJ when in reality what has he done, other than show a bit of potential. And a bit at that, not a lot.