Page 60 of 217 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 160 ... LastLast
    First Grader

Apparently the Titans sought out an immediate release of Ese'Ese but was knocked backed by the Knights. He may therefore be in our sights for 2021 when his contract ends this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Apparently the Titans sought out an immediate release of Ese'Ese but was knocked backed by the Knights. He may therefore be in our sights for 2021 when his contract ends this year.
    Where did the Ese Ese talk come from ? I see that Knights may go after Frizelle. If so it may mean that Knights need to move someone on.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Where did the Ese Ese talk come from ? I see that Knights may go after Frizelle. If so it may mean that Knights need to move someone on.
    It was in a SMH article a couple of days ago but cannot now access it

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    It was in a SMH article a couple of days ago but cannot now access it
    Thanks mate. Could be a good signing if true even for next year.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

It's a no for cokey the clown for me.

Can someone get the story of darius farmer from the other from the courier mail please

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny86 View Post
    Can someone get the story of darius farmer from the other from the courier mail please
    Meet Darius Farmer – the Gold Coast Titans’ cancer survivor who “can’t wait to show the world what I can do”.

On Friday, Farmer will pull on a Titans jersey for the first time since overcoming a testicular cancer diagnosis last year.

The 20-year-old forward is part of the Gold Coast’s squad for the Perth Nines and is itching to return to top level footy.

A towering back-rower, Farmer was on the way to an NRL debut last season before being struck by cancer.

Farmer didn’t think much after being “hit in the jewels” during a game, but when the swelling failed to subside he sought medical attention.

Already devastated by the shock death of former Titans under-20s teammate Zae Wallace, Farmer was further floored in June when doctors mentioned the dreaded “C” word.

“I was in shock and it was a shock to my family,” Farmer told The Courier-Mail.

“I was good friends with Zae. It was really sad for us to hear one of our good mates passed away and it was the same time I found out I had testicular cancer.

“It was two big slaps in the face. I was really mentally battling.

“I had surgery pretty much straight away. I had put in so much hard work then had to take time off to heal. I took it pretty well because I had to keep going. I had a lot of support from my family and friends.”

A positive from the diagnosis was the cancer had been caught early and Farmer has made an encouraging recovery.

After 12 weeks on the sidelines, Farmer made a steady playing return with Burleigh’s local A-grade team late in the season.

He wasn’t able to feature in the Bears’ Intrust Super Cup premiership victory, but the Titans showed faith in Farmer by extending his contract until 2021 as he recovered.

Farmer is now fit and firing and the cancer diagnosis has changed his approach to life and football.

“It makes me grateful to be in the moment and always give it 100 per cent,” Farmer said.

“Anything in life can be taken away in an instant. I’ve got to cherish it and be in the moment.

“I’m super determined to play in the NRL this year. I’ve had this drive in me since I was a young kid.

“I can’t wait to show the world what I can do.”

‘I was just pi**ed off’: Billy the Kid sets AB record straight

Hailing from Wellington in New Zealand, Farmer crossed the ditch as a 12-year-old and came through the grades in Brisbane.

He represented the Queensland under-16s and New Zealand under-18s as he progressed from a “skinny” winger to line-breaking edge forward.

Now 192cm and 102kg, Farmer cuts an imposing figure in the forwards and wants to use the Nines to kickstart his quest for an NRL debut in 2020.

“The Titans signed me when I was about 15 so I’ve been here for a few years now and this is my second year in the first grade squad,” Farmer said.

“I was really tall and skinny growing up so I played wing-centre but I’ve made my way to the back-row.

“I’m really excited about the Nines but pretty nervous to rub shoulders with these guys. The Nines is a stepping stone for bigger things hopefully.

“All I’ve got to do is believe in myself, keep training hard and hopefully get my NRL debut some time.”

The Titans will face the Raiders on Friday and Wests Tigers on Saturday before a possible finals berth.

https://www.couriermail.com.au
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 15-02-20 at 07:54 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

wrong thread mb

Thanks heaps diehard

Rep Player

Nice article on Tino in the CM yesterday.

https://amp.couriermail.com.au/sport...25b1bcafea5fca

Queensland young gun Tino Fa’asuamaleaui has revealed his dream to be as successful as Sonny Bill Williams as the $2 million wonder boy outlined his plan to help the Titans become a premiership force.
    In his first interview since his shock decision to quit the Storm, the Gympie product says the influence of Titans culture chief Mal Meninga, who travelled to his hometown for talks, convinced him to defect to the Gold Coast.
    The Titans are taking a huge gamble with Fa’asuamaleaui. Just days before Origin star Jai Arrow rocked the Titans by signing with Souths last Christmas, Meninga tabled a mega three-year, $2 million contract for a teenager who has played just five first-grade games.
    And the hulking 19-year-old is taking a risk of his own. Many NRL fans would think he has lost his marbles.
    Why would a rookie highly-regarded by Storm super coach Craig Bellamy walk out on the most successful NRL club of the past decade to chase success at a Titans outfit reeling from last year’s wooden-spoon disaster?
    But just like fellow Queenslander Kalyn Ponga, who quit 2015 premiers the Cowboys to join the battling Knights, Fa’asuamaleaui is prepared to back himself.
    Naturally, a seven-figure contract is a fair sweetener. Fa’asuamaleaui lauded the apprenticeship he has served at the Storm, but says he can strike a better balance between family and football in Queensland as he looks to inject a Melbourne-like mentality to the Titans.
    “I’ve been very fortunate to be at the Melbourne Storm. I have learnt so much here, I’ve had three years here and I can’t imagine a better club to learn the qualities you need to be a consistent NRL player,” said Fa’asuamaleaui, who will join the Titans next year.
    “It will be really hard to leave. It took a long time for me to make up my mind, but in the end going home to Queensland was a huge thing.
    “My partner and I had our first child last year so I guess we are young parents. We lack that family in support in Melbourne. It will help us being back in Queensland around my family.
    “I still have another year in Melbourne so it’s important I don’t drop my standards this year. I want to have a big year to give back to the Storm for everything they have done and show the Titans what I am capable of.”
    The Titans’ financial outlay for Fa’asuamaleaui may raise eyebrows, but it could prove to be money well spent.
    When Brisbane signed his former Broncos under-20s teammate Payne Haas to a six-year, $3 million deal 18 months ago, it seemed preposterous. Now the freakish Haas is a State of Origin player and the code’s hottest front-row property.
    The trick is nailing your scouting and talent identification and the Titans are confident they have made a smart investment in Fa’asuamaleaui.
    His selection in Queensland under-18s and under-20s sides is evidence Maroons coach Kevin Walters views him as a future Origin player. At 195cm and 113kg, he has been likened to Sonny Bill with his physical dimensions, hard-running and ability to use the ball on the edges.
    When Fa’asuamaleaui references SBW, he does so without a hint of arrogance. The humble rookie is in awe of SBW’s achievements in rugby league, but hopes to eventually match his standards of performance and professionalism.
    Fa’asuamaleaui carries a teammate during Storm pre-season in 2017. Picture: Jonathan Demos
    “Hopefully one day I can be like Sonny Bill Williams,” he said.
    “I’m a long, long way from Sonny Bill, but he was my favourite player growing up.
    “He was just on another level. He had the skill of a five-eighth and the hard running of a forward.
    “I’ve always wanted to be like Sonny Bill and I’m trying to bring his strengths to my game. I know I am miles away from what he has achieved, but in time I’d like to get to his standard.”
    Having cut his teeth with the Storm’s feeder-club Sunshine Coast in the Intrust Super Cup, Fa’asuamaleaui got his big break last season when he made his NRL debut against the Dragons during the grind of the Origin period.
    It was Bellamy’s signal that he had big plans for the explosive back-rower or prop. Tino was lapping up the Storm culture. He had no plans to go anywhere.
    Then, last November, the Titans made inquiries with his manager. They talked numbers in excess of $650,000-a-season. Fa’asuamaleaui was stunned. The Coast, set to lose Arrow, were so determined to get their man Meninga headed to Gympie for his Titans pitch.
    “I was a bit surprised the Titans came into it. I was really happy in Melbourne and didn’t think anyone else was really watching me,” he said.
    “I’ve mentioned my family but Mal Meninga was another big reason for signing.
    “During the holidays, Mal came up to see me in Gympie twice. We had some good talks about his vision for the club and how I fitted in. Mal is one of the big reasons why I want to be at the Titans. I want to learn stuff from him and be a better footballer.
    “I know the Titans are struggling but I want to be a part of something special and help the culture of the club.
    “I would love to be part of a winning mentality there. Growing up, I always played with underdog teams. I would love to show that no matter who you play for, you can impress.”
    Fa’asuamaleaui admits he was terrified when he approached Bellamy to deliver the bad news.
    “Telling ‘Bellyache’ I was leaving was probably the hardest thing I’ve had to do in my career,” he said.
    “I have always looked up to him and he has always been there for me as a coach on and off the field. When my daughter was born, he was a great support.
    “He understood my reasons why I was leaving. It put my at ease because I was a bit emotional. He took it well, which is a credit to him.
    “It’s just hard work in Melbourne. The culture of the Storm is all about accountability and effort. No matter what we do, we give 100 per cent and Bellyache drives that.
    “I know I haven’t proven myself in the NRL but I’ve been given a great apprenticeship. I want to take that Storm mentality and bring it to the Titans.”

Ash Taylor on his mental health struggles and why he owes the Titans

Ash Taylor admits it couldn’t have got any worse for him last year. But with a newfound motivation in his heart, the Gold Coast’s million dollar man is determined to repay the Titans.

Ash Taylor has hit out at suggestions he wants to return to Brisbane, with the star playmaker revealing he wants to sign a new deal with the Gold Coast as payback for supporting him through the worst ordeal of his career.

Taylor’s energetic display at last week’s Nines was evidence the Titans’ $1 million man is refreshed in body and mind following his shock decision to briefly walk away from rugby league last season.

The Titans granted Taylor compassionate leave to deal with some mental demons and upon his return, the Queensland Origin hopeful received psychological help which he plans to continue this season.

During his darkest days last year, Taylor was linked with a return to the Broncos, the club at which he started his NRL career, in a bid to rediscover his passion for the game.

But in the wake of his promising showing at the NRL Nines, helping the Titans to $95,000 in prizemoney for making the semi-finals, Taylor declared he wants to extend his tenure at the Gold Coast beyond next year.

Asked if he ever considered quitting the Titans to reunite with the Broncos, Taylor said: “I never thought about a change (of club).

“I went away from four days from training and I was back in the next week getting professional help.

“I love the club. I have loved it ever since I was a young bloke. It had nothing to do with the Titans. I took a bit of time away but the club wasn’t the problem – it was me.

“I needed to sort myself out and now I am putting my preparation and everything into the Titans.

“I really have to give back to the Titans. I am working hard with Justin (Holbrook, new Titans coach) and the boys and trying to get better. I can’t finish any worse than last year so I want to work hard this year and give it a real shake.”

Taylor is entering a critical midpoint of his career. He turns 25 next month and can celebrate his 100th NRL game this season if he stays fit and chalks up 20 appearances.

Taylor looked relaxed and energised in Perth and there is a reason for his mental rejuvenation. At the heart of his contentment is his first child, a nine-week-old son he and his partner named Oscar.

His name is printed on Taylor’s mouthguard in bright pink lettering.

“I think it’s what I needed. I think it’s why God sent him down to me, I treasure him and take every day that comes,” Taylor said.

“I feel awesome. I have a reason now to play footy and look after myself in the future.

“We brought Oscar over for the Nines. It is a massive change in my life and people are really happy for me. Time flies when you are having a kid. It’s only nine weeks now. They grow up so quick so I want to be there for him and see him all the way through.”

Taylor says he was never formally diagnosed with depression, but hopes his willingness to speak openly of his mental health challenges can help other men harbouring dark thoughts.

“It was never depression,” he said.

“It all got to me last year. I was treating it like a job rather than loving it as a game.

“It was tough, the toughest part of my life that I have to deal with so far. Being away from my family didn’t help as well, so I have my young son now and I want to do it for him and my little family and just keep going.

“I am trying to bring the fun back into my game and enjoy myself again this year. I just needed to get back to my happy self and I needed help to do that. I want to let everyone know it’s not easy.

“It is OK to come out and say you have mental health problems and hopefully I can inspire people to ask for help before anything else happens.”

Article in today’s couriermail that Tino is good mates with David Fifita and that he is encouraging him to join the titans. Also mentions Fafita is good mates with Tanah Boyd. Strange he hasn’t signed with the Broncos.
    Psmitty

Junior

See on fox sports that Wayne Bennett finishes his contract at the end 2021, and Jai arrow left the Titans to 0lay under Wayne again....

Quote Originally Posted by timor 2 View Post
    See on fox sports that Wayne Bennett finishes his contract at the end 2021, and Jai arrow left the Titans to 0lay under Wayne again....
    Haha yeh saw that and thought the same thing.. left the club he apparently loves and cried over to play for Bennett for 1 year.. would be good if Tino talked fafita to join us

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Article in today’s couriermail that Tino is good mates with David Fifita and that he is encouraging him to join the titans. Also mentions Fafita is good mates with Tanah Boyd. Strange he hasn’t signed with the Broncos.
    I wouldn't go and work at a rival company for less money just because my friends worked there.