Page 64 of 217 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 164 ... LastLast

Someone a few weeks back said to me that it was strange that The Broncos have not come out and said that Fafita has stayed with them. I didn’t think much of it thinking I missed the announcement but maybe now they could be a reason why. The Titans May have asked for time to put together a deal that at least get David to the table. Now Titans have asked for the meeting indicates that a deal that may meet Fifitas list of demands and now Titans just have to sell it to him. Interesting read in the CM from him on the weekend saying that when the Broncos got him out of the situation in Bali his response was roughly that it was people’s jobs to do what they did and was pretty clinical in his response which if you were Broncos HQ or a member you wouldn’t like how it read. Having TBoyd and Tino here next year is a help but how much help we will soon see.

On that note with a lot of the salary cap off contract at the end of the year there maybe a few blokes having to take below what they are currently on to stay IF we sign Fifita. James and Taylor have said they want to stay and realize that they won’t get the money they are on now.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    I'd be shocked if he left Brisbane, but I have a tiny bit of hope because he went to school here, is good mates with Tino and Tanah, and hopefully Mal can have a big influence on him.

The Titans have formally expressed interest in David Fifita and requested a face-to-face meeting as Gold Coast culture chief Mal Meninga sparks a derby bidding war for the off-contract Bronco.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Titans hierarchy have officially entered the race for Fifita’s signature with the Gold Coast possessing a $3.2 million war chest in a bid to steal the Broncos young gun from their Queensland rivals.

Fifita’s retention at the Broncos was considered a fait accompli, especially after Sydney clubs recently aborted their pursuit, but the Queensland State of Origin star has revealed he isn’t sure if he will be at Red Hill in 2021.

That has opened the door for the Titans, who pose the greatest threat to the Broncos given their geographical location, which would allow Fifita to remain in his family home in Brisbane even if he played for the Gold Coast.

While Meninga last year lauded Fifita’s talent, the Titans never made a formal play as Sydney clubs led a $1 million charge for his signature.

That has now changed, with Fifita’s manager Steve Deacon fielding a call from Titans bosses seeking a formal meeting with the forward.

Brisbane are firmly in the box seat to retain Fifita, and they are still highly confident of keeping him, but if the issue solely came down to money, the Titans could outbid them.

The Broncos’ salary cap constraints this season mean Brisbane are likely to offer Fifita a one or two-year deal with a view to offering him a more lucrative mega contract as he approaches his mid-20s.

The Titans can table a huge package immediately.

It is believed Meninga has the salary-cap room to offer a four-year deal worth up to $800,000 a season – a $3.2 million bonanza.

The 107kg player, who will celebrate his 20th birthday on Tuesday, has ties to the Gold Coast.

Fifita attended the prestigious Keebra Park High and has several close friends at the Titans, including Tanah Boyd and forward Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, with whom he played in Queensland junior representative teams.

Fa’asuamaleaui will link with the Titans next year when he completes his commitments to the Storm and he has already phoned Fifita spruiking the merits of joining him on the Gold Coast

Titans culture boss Meninga secured Fa’asuamaleaui’s signature after seeing the Storm player in Gympie over Christmas and now the rugby league Immortal wants to meet with Fifita to pitch his vision for the club.

Meninga has a huge opinion of Fifita, handing the Broncos backrower his maiden Australian jersey for last year’s World Nines at Sydney’s Bankwest Stadium.

Fifita’s comments that he is in no rush to sign with Brisbane will no doubt fuel the Titans’ desire to strike while the forward is vacillating over his next move.

“I’m not too sure what I’m going to do to be honest,” he said.

“I’m happy at the Broncos.

“(But) It’s a business at the end of the day … you know how it works.”

Queensland Origin lock great Billy Moore said the Broncos could not afford to lose Fifita.

“He’s a once-in-a-generation forward,” Moore said.

“I’m sure Fifita could earn more on the open market so it’s up to the Broncos to put forward a competitive offer which I’m sure they will.”
    Knowing the donkeys brown paper bag tactics I think he stays but god damn he is worth every dollar. Offer him a huge contract!! get it done Mal! At 19 years of age he will be worth every cent. Potential to be one of the great forwards of the game!!!! plus a signing like that sends a message we are turning it around. Good to hear players talking the club up with each other

Each one Arrow, Tino and Fifito (misspelt on purpose) have their own characteristics and all three would complete a wonderful back row with Wallo and MoFo upfront so I would take any combination of them. I think the youth policy works for us a lot better than ageing hacks and just watching all those young blokes running around brings so much more hope than some of the plodders in the past. I have to say that although I don't hold great stock in Proctor, Boyd and to a lesser extent Cartwright who has shown a bit, I feel that those guys look a lot more interested this year ... here's hoping.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

My concern with a young pack is we have no depth or experience. Injuries could be our downfall.

Hopefully we can offload S Boyd a year early next year to help the cap out a little bit more

JB, I've thought about that a lot and I think that as long as you have a good mentor on the sidelines like a Dymock then onfield quickly turns into a battle of skills and strategies rather than experience. I know it's handy to have a hardhead or two around but with the sanitising of the game the need to have protectors has largely disappeared. Wallace could provide the nouse up front and those young guys have big egos.

Looking at it from fafitas perspective I wouldn't be rushing to sign with us. I would wait and see how the team performs under Holbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Looking at it from fafitas perspective I wouldn't be rushing to sign with us. I would wait and see how the team performs under Holbrook.
    That is what I think he might think as well. Also he may also see how the Donkies are going .
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Theres a quote from Jarrod Wallace today in an article about signing Fifita, which I think is really telling of what the players thought of Garth :https://thefootycorner.com/2020/02/2...8-Y8Y6qgXXvS2w

If you’re going to try and sell our club to anyone now it’s literally about scrapping the last two years,” he said.

“What Justin is trying to do here is build a new culture and a happy culture.

“A lot of guys weren’t happy in the last two years. That obviously showed on the field.

Everyone is loving being here now. Everyone wants to be here and train hard and work hard for each other. It’s exciting for us to see where we can take it. Justin is doing a great job with everyone. He is getting the best out of everyone.

The Wayne Bennett chat that convinced Bunnies’ breakout star to reject $500K Titans offer
    NRL PREMIERSHIP
    February 27, 2020 9:19pm
    by STAFF WRITERS
    Source: FOX SPORTS

Liam Knight, the Rabbitohs’ breakout star of 2019, could have been playing for the Titans this season if not for a brief chat with Wayne Bennett that convinced him to reject their $500,000 offer.

The 25-year-old forward, who has been considered an outside shot at playing Origin this year, had met with new Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook and been given a tour of their facilities.

The Titans were so keen on luring Knight to the glitter strip that they would have even countenanced letting Jai Arrow head the other way to Redfern a year early from his contract.

“We wanted him, he’s a different beast,” Titans culture boss Mal Meninga told The Sydney Morning Herald of Knight.

“His playing ability is excellent, he’s learned some life lessons over a short period of time, he’s only 25, and I reckon he would have brought a point of difference to us with his maturity and experience, and he’s that aggressive-type of player — he more or less carried the Souths pack on his back when Sam Burgess couldn’t play last year.”

Knight was outstanding as the Bunnies went within one game of reaching the grand final last year, leading from the front with Burgess carrying a debilitating shoulder injury that would eventually force his retirement.

And Burgess has lauded Knight’s decision to stay loyal, the powerful prop signing a three-year contract extension earlier this month on much less money than the Titans offer.

“I always encourage players to not make decisions based on money because you’ll only make it for the wrong reasons,” Burgess said. “Money comes into it at some point ... but for this deal right now, he’s 25 and only played 33 games, and if he takes a big-money deal somewhere else, the pressure will be on him as one of the main players at a club.

“I just don’t think it was the right decision for him at this time in his career.

“He turned down so much money, which says a bit more about Liam and his desires to want to win a competition and be in what he believes is a good team — it shows he’s interested in more than money.”

But it was ultimately after a sitdown with Bennett when Knight realised where his future lay.

“I met with Mal and Justin and the whole crew, I toured their facilities, and while I knew they had had a tough few years (on the field), I could feel there was a shift coming,” Knight said. “So it was a stressful couple of weeks (deciding my future).

“I never wanted to leave Souths. Wayne put it back on me, he said: ‘I won’t tell you what to do. You have to make the decision yourself, be happy with it and don’t look back — but I want you to stay’.

“Him wanting me to stay was massive for me.”

The tone of that conversation was a far cry from one he had with Bennett when he made his Souths debut last year in the Charity Shield game against the Dragons in Mudgee.

“I gave away a few penalties trying to shoot out of the line — I was offside by about five metres on one occasion and tried to get someone and still missed,” Knight said. “Wayne sprayed me at halftime. I think he even threatened to hook me. Hopefully I go a bit better this weekend.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...21196317367b12

At least we have been targeting better players. I think our recruitment is on the up.
    Psmitty

Inactive User

What do you fellow supporters think of us offering LKnight $500k??
    I ask because I’m not very familiar with him.
    Just looking for some opinions.

First Grader

I really like the fact we are being linked to a lot of younger talented guys. Really shows we are building for a big couple of years.

Mofo Tino and Fifita would be EPIC. I'd give him the Lolo godfather deal too. just get it done

Inactive User

Joliffe has earned a 1 year deal and will be aligned with Burleigh

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Joliffe has earned a 1 year deal and will be aligned with Burleigh
    Was just about to post it too Bodsie, and although I’m sure you wish he was aligned to The Tweed, I am relieved that we have him on our books. Starting to like the new broom a lot.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Was just about to post it too Bodsie, and although I’m sure you wish he was aligned to The Tweed, I am relieved that we have him on our books. Starting to like the new broom a lot.
    Yeah I feel Burleigh gets a better rub of the green with the player allocations