Page 179 of 217 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 189 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 3242

We’re so lucky that we got Justin, especially with the amount of clubs needing a coach right now, any of those sides would’ve taken him in a heartbeat. Genuinely think he’s the type of guy who would stick around with us for the next 10 years and want the challenge of making us a powerhouse.

He had a great radio interview this morning, and most importantly he said we’re not interested in Mbye

I can't see what the images are.

ah sorry guys first time trying to upload images from my phone on here, struggling a bit

its just tweets from this page that sum up the Holbrook interview
    https://twitter.com/JoelJimmySEN?s=21

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/13/...t-three-clubs/

Finally someone suggesting Smith should come here

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Titans option
    We are starting to see the magic Mal Meninga has weaved at the Titans. Mal got it right with coach Justin Holbrook and now he has lured David Fifita, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and Herman Ese’ese to the club next year.

With Shannon Boyd’s retirement and Ryan James moving to Canberra and no doubt other player movement to come there should be cap space for Smith.

The Titans are coming out of the doldrums and I see them building towards being a top-eight side next year. Smith would take them into top-four calculations.

He would be rubbing his hands together about what he could achieve with AJ Brimson, Ash Taylor and Jamal Fogarty in the spine.

The Mal factor is a big one here. That Smith/Meninga combination won nine Origin series together as senior player/captain and coach. That bond would be strong.

One phone call from Mal to Cameron would give him food for thought.

We don’t know what the COVID-19 situation will be like in Melbourne next year so I see family considerations also playing into the Gold Coast’s favour, with Cameron hailing from just up the road at Logan Brothers.

As the Titans look to rebuild their franchise having Smith as part of it on and off the field would be a winner.

Rep Player

Holbrook article doesn't make any sense. It says 3-year, $1m-plus deal. What does the plus mean? 2 million? 3 million? 50 million? It also says until the end of 2023, but he's already signed until end of 2021, so that would be a 2 year extension, not 3. All the article really says is we're offering him an extension of at least 2 years on at least $333k per year. Duh. That's Garth Brennan money. Holbrook is worth more than that surely. Bellamy is apparently on more than $1m/year.

Even though many would probably think Cam Smith would bring his family back home up north here, it's something i'd have some doubts about. If anything, i'd imagine he'd stay there for a while yet as his family set up there to the point his kids are into AFL (iirc). So i'd say he'll probably do at least a year or two under Bellyache before he pulls out of there. Dunno for sure.

Put me down as another one happy to hear the Mbye story carries no weight.
    Last edited by Toads; 13-08-20 at 02:18 PM.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Even though many would probably think Cam Smith would bring his family back home up north here, it's something i'd have some doubts about. If anything, i'd imagine he'd stay there for a while yet as his family set up there to the point his kids are into AFL (iirc). So i'd say he'll probably do at least a year or two under Bellyache before he pulls out of there. Dunno for sure.

Put me down as another one happy to hear the Mbye story carries no weight.
    The Smith family are living on the GC now (Tallai I believe?) and his kids are enrolled in a local public school.

Oh well, there ya go. Bit of luck we might jag him. Just hope he'd be happy to work under Holbrook. Wouldn't want him to get a fathead and try and expand his input anymore than required, as i'm very happy with what Holbrook, Dymock & Co are doing at the moment.
    Last edited by Toads; 13-08-20 at 03:30 PM.

What Holbrook has done with this side in the short time is decisive and impressive. We are so fortunate.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans lining up to stay long-term under Holbrook
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/13/...nder-holbrook/

The players are loving life under Justin Holbrook and Dale Copley and Keegan Hipgrave want to be part of the ride as the Titans look to lock up their coach long term.

Hipgrave and Copley, regulars in the starting side, are off contract at the end of the year and want to continue being part of a Holbrook-led renaissance at the Gold Coast.

NRL.com revealed on Monday that Titans powerbrokers are moving to wrap up Holbrook beyond the end of his two-year deal.

Copley knows a good mentor when he sees one after previously being coached by Wayne Bennett and Trent Robinson.

He said Holbrook, who was Robinson’s assistant before transforming St Helens into a Super League juggernaut, had traits similar to the Roosters three-time premiership winning coach.

"Given his history he is in a similar mould to Robbo in that he is a highly detailed guy and certainly leaves no stone unturned from a technical point of view," Copley said.

"He gives the players all the information we need to go out and do the job and he won’t accept standards that he’s not prepared to accept.

"He has been hard on the effort areas and even in the two losses against Penrith and Roosters [in round 11 and 12] we fought and scrapped our way to get really close.

"You can see by the performance on the weekend [in the 30-10 win over the Cowboys] what he has brought and how he wants us to play.

He won’t accept standards that he’s not prepared to accept.

"Whilst our platform is always going to be really strong through the middle, if teams want to tighten up and bash us the coach has given us a licence to throw the ball a bit and as an outside back that is a joy to play."

The Titans have signed David Fifita, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and Herman Ese'ese on multi-year deals and Copley said it made sense for Holbrook to be at the helm to reap the rewards of a strengthened roster.

"I think that would be pretty smart of the club to lock him up. I think he has done a great job here in nine months and had a really positive impact on the group," Copley said.

"If you look at all the clubs that have had success over a long period of time stability is one of the things in common.

"Craig [Bellamy] has been at Melbourne a long time, Robbo has been at the Roosters eight years now and the first 20 years of the Broncos existence Wayne [Bennett] was the only coach.

"I’d certainly like to stay but I’ve been around long enough to know that is not all in my control,” Copley added when asked about his own contract situation.

"The club is moving in a direction that is pretty exciting and we’ve seen that with the calibre of players that have signed for the club next year."

Hipgrave said it would mean a lot for him to stay.

"I would love to go into the finals with the Gold Coast Titans, play some really good footy and be a powerhouse in the NRL," the rugged back-rower said.

"I think with Justin, the quality of players we have got coming to the Titans next year and the quality of players we have already it is going to be really exciting.

"I think the main thing from Justin is just to work hard.

"We were lacking a bit of effort in some areas at the start of the year but our game on the weekend was the product of how hard we are working and that is what Justin wants us to do, and the results will come off the back of that.

"I think Justin, and the other coaching staff of Jim Dymock, Jim Lenihan and Michael Gordon as a team going forward is going to be great for the club. If we can have that consistency over a couple of years we can probably be a powerhouse in the NRL."

Hipgrave said the players were “nowhere near happy” with just one win here and there and wanted to back up the Cowboys victory when they travel to Kogarah to face Cronulla this Saturday.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    The Smith family are living on the GC now (Tallai I believe?) and his kids are enrolled in a local public school.
    If this is true the only way I'd see him having anything to do with the Titans is some sort of coaching role. I don't reckon he plays on in 2021, no doubt he'd be exactly what we need if he decides to though. What would his price tag be also? Surely still 1mil unless Mal can work his Fifita magic and get him at a bargain price (sarcasm).

I really can not see Smith turning his back on the Storm and play for an other club
    Coaching role on a 2 /3 day a week might get him to us that way
    I am sure he has said he does not want to coach full time in a interview he did about month ago

First Grader

AUGUST 13 2020 - 5:01PM
    Holbrook wants in as Titans trend up
    Murray Wenzel
    NRL
    Gold Coast's NRL coach Justin Holbrook is in talks over a contract extension.
    Gold Coast's NRL coach Justin Holbrook is in talks over a contract extension.
    Justin Holbrook knows there are no guarantees in coaching but says he's committed to the Gold Coast as talks begin to sign the mentor on a long-term extension.

One of six NRL coaches off contract at the end of next season, Holbrook hopes to secure his own future at Parkwood with the Titans luring Brisbane second-rower David Fifita, Melbourne prop Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and Newcastle forward Herman Ese'ese to the club for next year.

The St Helens premiership winning coacg is responsible for the pulling power that has revamped the Titans' image and shot them ahead of both the Broncos and North Queensland on this season's ladder.

Holbrook said discussions about a new contract had recently begun and that he hoped to nail down a long-term deal on the Gold Coast.

"I'm happy coaching here that's for sure, happy with the club's direction," he said.

"We've got everything in place and some good signings coming next year, it'd be great to be a part of."

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor's premature departure was confirmed on Thursday while Dean Pay and Stephen Kearney have been marched this season.

Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold is an NRL coach under pressure despite having three more seasons to run on his contract.

Holbrook said that fragility meant he had little time to waste.

"I can say the easy answer, that it'll take five years, but that's just buying you time," he said.

"As a coach we get in and do the best job we can and that's what we're doing ... you need everything working well, but it's too hard (operating) on time frames.

"You can see with the amount of coaches getting moved on, you've got to do a good job straight away."

Holbrook said the future of off-contract captain Kevin Proctor remained undecided despite his terrific form.

He rated a move for out-of-favour Brisbane talent Tevita Pangai Jr unlikely, given the Titans had already loaded their forward pack for next season, while he said any efforts to secure Wests Tigers captain and Queensland utility Moses Mbye were improbable.

From: https://www.realestate.com.au/news/t...es-to-auction/

Titans hooker plays it safe as Palm Beach pad goes to auction

...The auction campaign, being handled by LJ Hooker’s Jo Elwin, comes after five seasons with the Titans for 30-year-old Peats who is keeping all options open come September.

“I’m not too sure what the future holds,” he said.

“We just thought selling the house would make it easier to transition, be that to another club here [in Australia] or overseas I just don’t know yet.”
    Sounds like we'll be on the lookout for a new #9

yeah that sounds like Peats is gone.

God help us if Holbrook decides Rein & Clark will be our hookers, though I doubt he will.

And please don't jump at Jake Friend...he is horrible and totally past it.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 13-08-20 at 08:43 PM.