Page 198 of 217 FirstFirst ... 98 148 188 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 208 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 3242
    First Grader

CM article saying we are moving on the following players next year worth $4 million

TITANS ROSTER SHAKE-UP
    GONE

Leilani Latu (Warrington)

Kallum Watkins (Toronto)

Shannon Boyd (retired)

GOING

Jai Arrow (South Sydney)

Ryan James (Canberra)

Bryce Cartwright

Nathan Peats

Tyrone Roberts

Dale Copley

IN LIMBO

Kevin Proctor

Keegan Hipgrave

Sam Stone

COMING

David Fifita (Brisbane)

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui (Melbourne)

Herman Ese'ese (Newcastle)

It also says they are looking for a quality hooker
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 05-09-20 at 08:44 PM.

Pretty slack article from CM. Those moves have been discussed on this forum for the past three months.
    Very lazy reporting, oops breaking news coming in just now. Santa is delivering December 24th/25th this year

First Grader

Justin Holbrook’s Titanic overhaul has taken shape with the Gold Coast to farewell $4 million of talent in the biggest roster shake-up in club history.

News Corp can reveal the Titans have completed a significant salary cap remodel which will see Holbrook launch a 2021 NRL premiership assault with a vastly different looking squad to the team he inherited from sacked coach Garth Brennan.

The Titans will farewell a third of their top squad in 2020 and welcome key forward signings David Fifita (Broncos), Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Storm) and Herman Ese’ese (Knights) to launch a new era.

Former NSW Origin hooker Nathan Peats will leave the Gold Coast Titans this year.

Gold Coast products Ryan James (Raiders) and Jai Arrow (Rabbitohs) will depart the club while ex-Origin hooker Nathan Peats, Tyrone Roberts and Dale Copley are unlikely to be offered new deals.

The Titans are looking to retain team captain Kevin Proctor, Keegan Hipgrave and Sam Stone, but are yet to strike new deals with the off-contract trio.

The Titans managed to offload ex-Kangaroos prop Shannon Boyd (retired), Leilani Latu (Warrington) and Kallum Watkins (Toronto) throughout the year and will soon release Bryce Cartwright, who has returned to Sydney for family reasons.

Holbrook said farewelling players was not an enjoyable part of his job, but the Titans were determined to build a winning culture following years of poor results.

“As a coach that’s not the best part of the job,” he said.

“It’s a high performing environment. We’ve got to be winning games. We’ve got to have that rugby league focus at our club.

“We want to keep playing well and whatever changes we have to make we’ll make.

Jai Arrow will take his mullet to South Sydney next year.

“I think it is (taking shape) which is obvious with the three players we’ve signed. That’s a good indication of where we’re heading.

“It’s due to a lot of people at the club. We’ve made the right decisions there.

“I’m really happy with how we’re going this year as a group. We’ve got a lot of good young guys heading into the future.”

The Titans’ recruitment committee, which includes Immortal Mal Meninga, recruiter Ezra Howe, co-owner Darryl Kelly, chairman Dennis Watt and Holbrook, are still on the hunt for a quality No. 9 and are holding out hope that Melbourne Test star Brandon Smith will become available.

The team could also do with some experienced hard heads following the loss of James, Arrow and Peats, but Holbrook said no further signings were imminent, particularly with uncertainty around squad sizes for 2021.

“I’m not sure, that’s my honest answer, there’s not anyone close to joining us,” he said.

“It’s about us as a recruitment team now weighing up things. There is nothing close to being locked in.”

The Gold Coast Titans are full of optimism after signing Brisbane Broncos star David Fifita.

The Titans’ last NRL finals appearance was in 2016 under Neil Henry and the club has endured some dark days since, including collecting last year’s wooden spoon.

But optimism is high on the Gold Coast following the arrival of Holbrook, who has been warmly embraced by the players, and improved performances in the second half of this season.

The Titans are out of finals contention and with three rounds left this year Holbrook wants to see his team head into the 2021 pre-season with momentum.

“I want to keep playing well and winning games,” he said.

“We can talk about next year next year. I want to finish this year strong, the guys train hard every week for a reason. We want to go out and do our best and keep winning games.

“Since the Penrith game (Round 11) we’ve shown we can compete hard every week and give ourselves a chance of winning. That’s what I want from our side.

“We’re definitely improving. I’m really happy with it.”

First Grader

Just where we stand at the moment with the current for next year, I would say we would in the 7th to 10th range and would need some further recruits in the hooker and a couple of decent strike centres to help Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Just where we stand at the moment with the current for next year, I would say we would in the 7th to 10th range and would need some further recruits in the hooker and a couple of decent strike centres to help Kelly
    Agree here. Aside for what we have and have coming I think we need a young, aggressive / arrogant, big build outside back. Someone that is infectious for the group and the members and fans as well. Who that player is, I have no idea who but I would liken the player to be like a Stephen Crichton. People on here like mdrew,Hail Sezer and Titan Pete would know if we have someone in the system that fit the bill. However Spry could be that player....????
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Kallum Watkins is looking for a club

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Kallum Watkins is looking for a club
    Watkins can join the knitting club as he stitched up the Titans well and good

First Grader

NRL 2020: Josh Papalii, Raiders contract, Broncos, Titans, team
    Canberra enforcer Josh Papalii is reportedly considering a shock mid-contract move back home to Queensland to be closer to family.
    Channel 7 Queensland reports Papalii is homesick in the nation’s capital, which has been exacerbated by life inside the strict NRL bubble.
    The 28-year-old is considered arguably the best prop in he game currently and has become a genuine State of Origin star for Queensland and international for Australia and Samoa.
    He’s played 214 games for the Raiders since debuting in 2011.
    Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
    But with family back in Queensland, Channel 7 claims the big-bopper wants to move back north across the Tweed.
    The report says the Broncos and Titans are both “monitoring” the situation.
    Papalii is contracted to the Raiders for a further two seasons and has not yet formally requested a release.

That's abit of a nothing article, he said in an interview he's abit homesick and working with the Raiders to sort something out. Would be great to have him at the club though. Also agree we really need a strike outside back. We need our own Lomax, Crichton, latrell. I've always wondered why we never seem to produce quality outside backs in our juniors apart from Kelly and then there's Sami and hymel hunt who are solid at best.

imagine a world where our forward pack is:
    8. Papalii
    9. Rein
    10. Moe
    11. Fifita
    12. Tino
    13. Ese Ese

Big, strong and agile......He'd definitely give us that bit of experience we need. One can dream haha.

I honestly wouldn't be a huge fan of the signing. Obviously I love him as a player for both club and QLD but, although we have the space available, he isn't what we lack and hence wouldn't bring as much value as a strike centre or elite hooker. Prefer those be the priority before a prop given ours are performing well at the moment. Just restricts us elsewhere with our forward pack already being pretty stacked.

There is no way in heck we would have the money unless we can offload peachy or wallace which isnt very likely. We still need a hooker, a center, another bench 2ndrower / middle.

Inactive User

There has to be balance in the list and from what I can see we don’t need Papalii and I’m now adding Proctor to that too given how well Fermor/Stone and Hipgrave are coming along.
    Need to look at adding a Centre next with the war chest.

It would be terrific to add CSmith or BSmith but if we don’t it’s not the end of the world to have Rein, Clark, Boyd and Peachey as our options.

I think stone and hipgrave have had more bad games then good ones and fermor is only young too i think we still need proctor for a year or two at the right price or another experienced second rower to help guide Fifita and fermor and Tino. Hopefully Holbrook gets Tallis in a forwards coaching role when we're out of the bubble I know he said to Fifita he would be around to mentor him and help him aslong as he doesn't step on Holbrooke toes could use his influence getting abit more aggression in our pack. Agree we need another center, would be good to find one or two young guns looking for an opportunity, or maybe even sign a big winger and convert Sami into a center in the pre season I think he'd go better there than on the wing. If rein can keep playing like he did on the weekend were set with him for the next year and can wait for the right hooker to come along. I'd try get one of the cowboys young guns cotter or Robson they can't keep both of them long term

Does anyone believe that Fermor could be groomed into a centre, last time I saw him play there he got caught out in defence with his lateral movement. But some people who have watched him for longer than I have might know a bit more on his development. He seems to be great in attack, can fend, is fast, however he would need to improve his lateral speed and defensive positioning. I am just trying to think outside the box as to how we can plug a hole and still go after a gun hooker. Realistically Fermor won't be a starting 2nd rower with us next year with Fifita and maybe even Tino playing those positions, but he might be able to be used in another way. Food for thought...

Don't get me wrong if we had Kotoni, Bradmon Best, Lomax Crighton, I wouldn't be saying this but at present we don't have any of them and it is unlikely we will.

I don't rate Spry, I am borderline on Sami, after the weekends game I am borderline on Young. If Copley stayed injury free he could fill that void, we could rejink the backline when Pearson is back....but either way not a whole heap of options

MDrew or Hail Sezer might have a better idea of GL, as I recall he was busting tackles all of last year but I think he is more a winger a short one.
    Last edited by indoallstars; 07-09-20 at 10:12 PM.