Page 185 of 217 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 195 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 3242
    First Grader

Didn’t someone on this forum state he had bought a house in Tallia?

I love the idea of Smith coming here but I can not see him leaving the storms to play for another cub he has had chances over the years to do this. I can how ever see him doing a 3 or 4 day coaching role for the Titans But he would be home on week end .
    Just to have Cam Smith name associated with us would bring in new corp dollars as well as fan and young players

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Yeah I don’t know. Maybe to be near to the parents or in-laws would be my only offer.
    As a long-time Titans fan, I understand the reaction to be skeptical and avoid getting your hopes up. However, there are a lot of confluencing factors here that lead me to believe the rumour has some legs:

1. It doesn't make sense to enroll your children in a school 2 hours south of where you're staying if it's only temporary. This is particularly true during a pandemic when we could potentially be subject to stage 4 lockdowns like Victoria. Wouldn't you want your kids enrolled in a school nearby in that scenario?

2. Nathan Peats has been in superb form over the last month and looks like a rejuvenated man yet we have apparently shown no interest in re-signing him. He is currently in the process of selling his Palm Beach property and recently in an interview said he didn't know where his future would take him, be it another NRL club or overseas, but he would like to move back to the Gold Coast post-footy. Why would a player in good form who clearly wants to be here be so sure he would be elsewhere next year unless the club has already told him we have other plans? Given our lack of depth in the position (neither Rein nor Clark cuts the mustard for me, and Boyd is only there for his apprenticeship before he transitions to his permanent role in the halves), it doesn't make sense to let him go unless we have a better option.

3. The Storm have the two best young hookers in the league in Harry Grant and Brandon Smith and, as weird as it sounds, Cam Smith is now the odd man out. From a club perspective, would you rather put your champion out to pasture a year or two early or lose 10+ years of the best upcoming talent? I know what I'd choose if it were up to me, and I reckon Cam will do whatever is best for the Storm.

4. He is originally from Logan, and most players tend to want to move back closer to home post-footy. Logan is smack bang in the middle of GC and Brisbane, so from a geographic perspective it doesn't matter where he lives. GC has a better lifestyle and lower cost of living, so why would you choose Brisbane if you don't have to? Given he was apparently scorned by the Broncos as a youngster, I could see him sticking the boot in while they're down by signing with little brother who have also recently poached their best player. Haven't you noticed how much more dominant he is whenever the Storm play the Broncos? I reckon there's a bit of resentment motivating him.

5. Bellamy has previously stated that if he were to coach another team, it would be the Titans. This indicates a modicum of respect for not just the club but the city. Given how close Smith and Bellamy are, I assume it's not an isolated view.

6. He needs something to do in retirement. If the above points are all correct, surely his best option is a coaching or football department role with the Titans? What better way to ingratiate yourself with the club and fans than by giving us your twilight years as a player, possibly even helping us to lift our first ever premiership?

Of course, this is all circumstantial evidence, and I could end up with egg over my face. But my gut is telling me there's a good chance of it working out in our favour.

Wherever he ends up as a player, he's going to stop any other up and coming hooker from progressing through that club. Which is why i'm the odd one out here that would only want him here in mentoring/assistant coaching role. I realise our hooker position isn't sorted, but bunging smith in there is only a temporary fix, not really a solution (imo).
    Last edited by Toads; 20-08-20 at 12:28 PM.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Wherever he ends up as a player, he's going to stop any other up and coming hooker from progressing through that club. Which is why i'm the odd one out here that would only want him here in mentoring/assistant coaching role. I realise our hooker position isn't sorted, but bunging smith in there is only a temporary fix, not really a solution (imo).
    If you were Erin Clark or Tanah Boyd, would you not be over the moon with the opportunity to learn off Smith for 1-2 years?

You miss the "mentoring/assistant coaching role" bit i mentioned, willhelm?

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    You miss the "mentoring/assistant coaching role" bit i mentioned, willhelm?
    And I said "What better way to ingratiate yourself with the club and fans than by giving us your twilight years as a player, possibly even helping us to lift our first ever premiership?"

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    And I said "What better way to ingratiate yourself with the club and fans than by giving us your twilight years as a player, possibly even helping us to lift our first ever premiership?"
    Oh ok, this is what showed up on my tablet, and what i was replying to. I was unaware i was expected to back track through a thread and take note to what you said.. Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    If you were Erin Clark or Tanah Boyd, would you not be over the moon with the opportunity to learn off Smith for 1-2 years?
    Last edited by Toads; 20-08-20 at 12:56 PM.

Rep Player

I think you're off your rocker if you'd say no to 1-2 years of Cam Smith as a player because you're worried about impeding the progress of Erin Clark or Tanah Boyd.

Guess i'm off my rocker then. If we need to back track everyone's admitions to a thread, you might've seen previously i'm happy to have him come in a assistant coaching role under holbrook, just as long as he doesn't get a fathead about it and attempt to put in more than what holbrook requires, as i'm happy with the direction holbrook, dymock & co have taken the club.

You want him as a player, i want him as a assistant coach. Is it really that much of a big deal to you, really?

Cameron Smith is still an elite dummy half....him playing would not impede the development of a young hooker like boyd and Clark.... who are not proven first graders like grant and Brandon smith. If anything it would improve their game, look at how the latter has come on underneath him.... I reckon brenno would even take him

The only single argument for not wanting Cam Smith at the Titans is if you wanted to look long-term and wait and see for Brandon Smith.

Every thing else is slightly ridiculous considering the on and off-field impact Cam would have on this team. Especially the notion that we should "promote our young hookers" instead, as if we even have any young prospects at 9. Erin Clark is okay depth and Tanah Boyd could do with 2 years behind the best #9 ever.

The only reason we could get Bsmith anyway is if a Csmith plays on so it if Cam is on the market we won’t be able to wait and see with Brandon

First Grader

TITANS EYE EITHER SMITH

QUEENSLAND legend Cameron Smith isn’t the only Smith the Gold Coast Titans have their eye on.

The Titans are open to discussing a two-year contract offer with Smith to finish his glittering NRL career on the Gold Coast.

It appears unlikely Smith will play for anyone but the Melbourne Storm if he decides to soldier on into a 20th NRL campaign.
    Brandon Smith could be forced out of the Storm. Picture:: Michael Klein
    Brandon Smith could be forced out of the Storm. Picture:: Michael Klein

But that will leave the Storm in a delicate predicament given they have two of the NRL’s best young hookers sitting behind Smith.

While Harry Grant appears likely to return to Melbourne from Wests Tigers next year, the Titans are monitoring the movements of New Zealand Test star Brandon Smith.

The “other Smith” has been patiently waiting for his turn to wear the Storm’s No.9 jersey full-time and if Cameron and Grant are both in Melbourne that could squeeze him out of the club.

The Titans will be ready to pounce on either Smith if the opportunity arises.

- - - Updated - - -

TITANS PRODUCTION LINE KICKS OFF

THE Gold Coast Titans have a production line of playmaking talent working its way into the NRL.

While halfback Ash Taylor has been a multimillion-dollar flop for the Titans, the future is bright if coach Justin Holbrook can get his development program right.

Holbrook has been working with Palm Beach Currumbin product Toby Sextonthis year with the view to blooding him in the NRL next season.

dailytelegraph.com.au1:24
    Tom Weaver
    Palm Beach Currumbin High School rugby league player Tom Weaver talks to the Gold Coast Bulletin about his starring role in the opening Langer Cup game.

And he will have another promising young playmaker joining the club following the sizzling Langer Cup debut of Tom Weaver recently.

Weaver, who is contracted to the Titans, has been a highlight in the schoolboys competition for PBC and looks like a talent to watch out for in the coming years.

The Gold Coast has long been a breeding ground for top NRL talent and if the Titans can get their systems in place they will have a steady line of excellent players pulling on their jersey.

Charlie Staines also free to explore the market. Anyone reckon he'd be a good buy?

Either Smith would be great!