Page 42 of 217 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Yes Brennan put a bunch of players on good size contracts who aren’t living up to expectations but we didn’t lose arrow because we had no money, it was probably to do with his mrs and we didn’t offer enough.. we have something like 14 players I think i read awhile ago coming off contract.. latu must be due to expire after next season and Taylor would be coming up soon? Correct me if I’m wrong.. also we just got a kid for a good size contract from 2021 that is untested so we must not be too bad financially after this year.. I think the titans have known for a while arrow was leaving, so they went hard after the kid

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    Yes Brennan put a bunch of players on good size contracts who aren’t living up to expectations but we didn’t lose arrow because we had no money, it was probably to do with his mrs and we didn’t offer enough.. we have something like 14 players I think i read awhile ago coming off contract.. latu must be due to expire after next season and Taylor would be coming up soon? Correct me if I’m wrong.. also we just got a kid for a good size contract from 2021 that is untested so we must not be too bad financially after this year.. I think the titans have known for a while arrow was leaving, so they went hard after the kid
    I tend to agree. The only reason that you pay more for an unproven young man would be if you thought he had greater potential or you knew Arrow was gone. But...... didn't they sign Boyd thinking Wallace was gone,?

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    Other media sources reported our offer to be 750k a year and thats not taking into account any third party deals. I'm sure that we would have included some other incentives with our offer because he would be the most marketable player that we have. Considering Sydney costs of living, I don't see our offer being unders. The fact is he wanted to move for his partner so there is little we could have done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Other media sources reported our offer to be 750k a year and thats not taking into account any third party deals. I'm sure that we would have included some other incentives with our offer because he would be the most marketable player that we have. Considering Sydney costs of living, I don't see our offer being unders. The fact is he wanted to move for his partner so there is little we could have done about it.

This wraps up my thoughts. We had a offer that was not far off Souths so anyone could assume that the tipping point could have been his Girl Friend. Let’s not forget who owns Souths. Rusty could open doors for his GF that others can’t so that could be a massive draw card for them. Also looking at the articles about Arrow there are few or no direct quotes from the club at all so all we are hearing is a one sided narrative at the minute and one would hope that come Monday / Tuesday the club come out with a statement.

On the Mal front. He was recruited in the Performance and Culture position , not recruitment. His role is in the Back of House not up front and only the media are putting him in the light of recruitment not the club.

On the Tino signing if you read one of the articles about his signing it reads like his recruitment is to cover for Proctor who potentially may head to SL as the article implies. I could be wrong.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Annesley/Brennan gave our club this salary cap poo sandwich that Meninga/Holbrook and the rest of us including our local kids who are having to spend their entire childhood going for a crap team all have to live with.

We have pretty much the same squad we had this time last year which back then was being trumpeted as a top 8 squad in this same forum.

So.....let’s see what this new Coaching Staff can do with this squad and then let’s see the deadweight moved on.

Long suffering Titans fans may just have to deal with one more year of purgatory.

I’m giving Mal one more year before I jump in and call for his head.
    I could easily though be swayed if it turns out he’s spending most of his time in Canberra and not here with us.

First Grader

Whilst a long shot and with about 14 Titans off contract at the end of 2020 I would be going hard at Fafifa who is still unsigned for 2021. Tino and Fafita on the edges with Moe upfront would makes us pretty competitive for years to come

Can someone please explain what evidence there is of Meninga being a back office guru? Zero for mine and at 400k then let me at it.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

How do you rebuild an NRL club if you can't sign – and keep – players?
    Neil Breen
    By Neil Breen
    December 28, 2019 — 1.00pm
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on Whatsapp
    Send via Email
    Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
    The evidence is in: despite a salary cap and an even distribution of grants, the NRL operates on a haves and have-nots basis.

And, until it is somehow equalised, thoughts of expansion by adding a second Brisbane team are folly. The existing house needs order first.

All the evidence we need was laid bare in the contract wrangling over Jai Arrow and Latrell Mitchell.

Play Video

NRL Headlines 2019: Bennett and Seibold aren't friends
    Play video
    1:46
    NRL Headlines 2019: Bennett and Seibold aren't friends

We take a look back through 2019 and the relationship between Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold after the pair swapped jobs.
    Mitchell is unhappy at the Roosters and, in turn, the Roosters are unhappy with him for being unhappy with them. So a parting of the ways is on.
    Advertisement

The biggest offer for Mitchell came from Wests Tigers. He basically didn’t even return their phone call.

Now he’s interested in playing for the Rabbitohs on way less than the Tigers offered. Maybe even less than the Roosters’ offer of $800,000 a season.

Arrow is the type of player you could build a club around – so that’s what South Sydney will do with all their spare Sam Burgess cash. He’s signed with them for $800,000 a season from 2021-25 (plus third-party deals). But expect him to be there next year as well. He’s on less than $500,000 at the Titans for 2020 and the Rabbitohs will offer someone up and get him early.

Titans star forward Jai Arrow has signed with the Rabbitohs for 2021, but he could be there earlier.
    Titans star forward Jai Arrow has signed with the Rabbitohs for 2021, but he could be there earlier.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
    The Titans wanted to build the club around him to them lift off the bottom of the pile.

Advertisement

But as soon as Arrow was able to negotiate with other clubs – a ridiculous 12 months out from the end of his existing deal – he was shopped everywhere and is gone.

The Titans have had issues in the past – most notably when many in the team were more focused on buying cocaine than winning an NRL match – but that is in the distant past.

They have new, passionate owners – Gold Coast locals and top-class business people like Rebecca Frizelle – a top, vastly experienced chairman in Dennis Watt, formerly a long-term News Corp executive who himself was a first-grader at Norths in the Brisbane competition back in the Joe Kilroy days. Watt stamped himself as a top league executive when handed the job of cleaning up News Corp’s mess in the wake of the Melbourne Storm salary cap scandal.

None other than Immortal Mal Meninga is the club’s head of football and culture. They've also got a new coach, with no baggage, in Justin Holbrook.

Is this farewell? Latrell Mitchell looks almost certain to be playing elsewhere in 2020.
    Is this farewell? Latrell Mitchell looks almost certain to be playing elsewhere in 2020.CREDIT:AAP
    Advertisement

The challenge for clubs such as the Titans and the Tigers, perennial bottom-eight teams, is enticing players to the club who are good enough to drive you into the top eight. Then you have to get them to stick around.

Arrow is an interesting case. A Gold Coast native, he played juniors for Burleigh Bears before being scooped up into the Broncos’ system. Wayne Bennett handed him a first-grade debut in 2016 and, after 25 top-grade matches, he decided to head home to the Gold Coast.

In his two seasons there, the Titans finished 14th and last, and now he’s out of there, enticed by the culture and prospect of long-term success at the Rabbitohs, a club that, ironically, has won one premiership in the past 48 seasons.

A club with as many premierships in that time, Wests Tigers, also made a big play for Arrow and came up with nothing – as they did with Mitchell.

Why do the Tigers struggle to sign these players? It’s a question the club has to answer honestly after looking hard in the mirror.

Advertisement

Is it the lack of a home: training at Concord, playing at Leichhardt, ANZ Stadium, Campbelltown and Bankwest, club headquarters at Ashfield …

Yes, there’s a centre of excellence coming, but the Titans have one, too. Most clubs do, including Penrith. How’s that going for them?

How does Tigers coach Michael Maguire attract good players to his club?
    How does Tigers coach Michael Maguire attract good players to his club?CREDIT:AAP
    The basic fact is that players see these clubs as non-winners and career crushers. They look at what’s happened to good players who have gone there – in the case of the Gold Coast, Tyrone Peachey, Bryce Cartwright, Ash Taylor – and don’t like what they see.

They look at the list of top players who left the Tigers – James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Mitch Moses, Josh Addo-Carr – and wonder what drove them out.

Advertisement

How can Meninga and Holbrook at the Titans, and premiership-winning coach Michael Maguire at Wests Tigers, create a winning culture without being able to retain and recruit players who can give them success?

Fans of those clubs will be entitled to scratch their heads if Arrow and Mitchell (and Addo-Carr) drive the Rabbitohs to the top with excess Burgess funds in 2020 and 2021 while they languish at the bottom again.

That article asks questions and offers no answers ... journalistic tripe. There are three choices for success: (1) long term junior development strategy; (2) big business nouse and bucks; (3) random alignment of coach and no-name players overachieving.
    Last edited by Titanic; 28-12-19 at 06:39 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

While its bloody dissapointing I hold no ill will to Jai or the rabbitohs. For Jai if its the better offer then you take it. As much as I would of loved for him to be like Gallen (the only time ill ever say that) the better offer was there and im sure has some in built crowe sweetners. As for the rabbitohs myself growing up in the 90s they were the whipping boys of the comp and got smashed every game (same as the cowboys) so their success now has been built on a bedrock of hard times but ultimately fantastic strategic decisions and recruitment.

Brennan and Annerserly set us back at LEAST 5 years with their previous recruitment and decisions but we are nearly towards the end of that now and its time to start making correct decisions. I think Tino is a good one. While utlimately unproven I cant see us not getting a return in investment on him. When our 14 players come off contract next year if we dont get it right this time we are doomed. We have our coach, we have our junior program, we will soon have our leagues club to help with finances. We now need to put a god damned competitive, hard nosed, never say die team on the field and bring our juniors through instead of having to shell out for holiday contracts.

On ya bike Jai and onto 2020 for the Titans. Another year of pain but hopefully a year of improvement where hopefully 1 or 2 of our 14 off contract might actually EARN a new contract.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    While its bloody dissapointing I hold no ill will to Jai or the rabbitohs. For Jai if its the better offer then you take it. As much as I would of loved for him to be like Gallen (the only time ill ever say that) the better offer was there and im sure has some in built crowe sweetners. As for the rabbitohs myself growing up in the 90s they were the whipping boys of the comp and got smashed every game (same as the cowboys) so their success now has been built on a bedrock of hard times but ultimately fantastic strategic decisions and recruitment.

Brennan and Annerserly set us back at LEAST 5 years with their previous recruitment and decisions but we are nearly towards the end of that now and its time to start making correct decisions. I think Tino is a good one. While utlimately unproven I cant see us not getting a return in investment on him. When our 14 players come off contract next year if we dont get it right this time we are doomed. We have our coach, we have our junior program, we will soon have our leagues club to help with finances. We now need to put a god damned competitive, hard nosed, never say die team on the field and bring our juniors through instead of having to shell out for holiday contracts.

On ya bike Jai and onto 2020 for the Titans. Another year of pain but hopefully a year of improvement where hopefully 1 or 2 of our 14 off contract might actually EARN a new contract.
    I like your positivity but I absolutely hold ill will towards the Rabbitohs. The Burgess medical retirement is possibly the dodgiest of all time and I’ve no doubt they know how badly they’ve abused the system and screwed over a struggling team. The only entity I hold more ill towards in this whole debacle is Todd f’ing Greenberg for approving it.

Inactive User

Haven’t Souffs also given Burgess some dodgy job on big Money so he ends up still getting paid the rest of his contract anyway ?

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Haven’t Souffs also given Burgess some dodgy job on big Money so he ends up still getting paid the rest of his contract anyway ?
    I thought that was Inglis. I wouldn’t be surprised if Burgess ends up with some cushy ceremonial position though.

He’s on $400,000 a year for like 6 yrs in recruitment I think

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny86 View Post
    He’s on $400,000 a year for like 6 yrs in recruitment I think
    Yep. To me that’s blatant cheating.