Page 112 of 217 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 122 162 212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 3242

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Yeah just took a look at the CGarry tweet
    What a Drongoes Cheerleader

PS: Had a big day today
    Bodsy! Huge congrats to you and your family mate.

First Grader

Also sometimes I feel like the broncos sign a player, then get their media team at the couriermail to run stories that we are hunting them,in the chase and what not. Just so they can let the hype build then announce they have signed them as if to show they're the big club still and they get who they want.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Bodsy! Huge congrats to you and your family mate.
    Thanks very much HS. I feel very lucky and very happy especially for my wife who deserves a bit of good fortune.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Also sometimes I feel like the broncos sign a player, then get their media team at the couriermail to run stories that we are hunting them,in the chase and what not. Just so they can let the hype build then announce they have signed them as if to show they're the big club still and they get who they want.
    One of my great frustrations. The Drongoes Media in general are so supportive and biased and helpful of them whereas our media down here like the GC Bulletin once they get a sniff of drama just lay the boot in to us.

Hey Guys been enjoying the signings discussions and it got me thinking and this is a serious question.

Other than our first crop of signings in 2007, have we ever signed a player with first grade experience who has notably improved their game since coming here?

I can’t think of a single example.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by MJF View Post
    Hey Guys been enjoying the signings discussions and it got me thinking and this is a serious question.

Other than our first crop of signings in 2007, have we ever signed a player with first grade experience who has notably improved their game since coming here?

I can’t think of a single example.

Just off the top of my head, Jai arrow, jarred wallace, Nathan peats all became origin players after they arrived here?

I’ll give you Arrow, I didn’t count him as I didn’t think he got much of a go - looking it up he did play 23 so yes he has developed here, the other two have were no better here at their peak than they were before coming and have declined horribly while still in there peak years.

Off-topic but how good are Penrith's halves? Cleary just owns the team while Luai injects himself when he needs to. I remember a few years ago when Cleary and Ash burst onto the scene, there were a lot of comparisons and predictions as to who'd end up the better halfback...and a certain poster on here at the time used to constantly hang **** on Cleary and rave on about how much better Ash was. This also extended to his social media account as well. It was really quite embarrassing and pathetic. Well, joke's on you, son.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Off-topic but how good are Penrith's halves? Cleary just owns the team while Luai injects himself when he needs to. I remember a few years ago when Cleary and Ash burst onto the scene, there were a lot of comparisons and predictions as to who'd end up the better halfback...and a certain poster on here at the time used to constantly hang **** on Cleary and rave on about how much better Ash was. This also extended to his social media account as well. It was really quite embarrassing and pathetic. Well, joke's on you, son.
    I was definitely one who bet on Ash over Nathan boy was I wrong.

On another note I wonder if we could pinch Brent Naden off panthers, he seems like a big body who will take some hard runs into the line and he's behind Mansour and To'o. I imagine he wouldn't be on too much and I think he could def compliment the wing position without breaking the bank....thought?

Former Test prop Shannon Boyd contemplating shock early retirement
    A former Test prop and marquee Gold Coast player is contemplating a shock early retirement which could open the doors for the Titans to land star Bronco David Fifita.
    Travis Meyn, Michael Carayannis, The Courier-Mail
    Subscriber only
    June 25, 2020 8:35pm

Former Kangaroos prop Shannon Boyd is contemplating walking away from the Gold Coast to become a farmer in a move which would take Broncos gun David Fifita on step closer to the Titans.
    News Corp can reveal Boyd is considering quitting the NRL after falling out of favour with Titans coach Justin Holbrook.
    The departures of Boyd and off-contract hooker Nathan Peats will help the Titans free up salary cap space to sign Fifita to a $5 million deal.
    Jarrod Wallace is another Titans player who has struggled this year but like Boyd has two years left on his current deal. The 28-year-old played the last of his six Queensland matches as recently as last year but hasn’t been able to make the Titans side since round three. The Dragons have inquired about getting Wallace to the club immediately to beef-up their depleted forward stocks. He has been recalled to play the Broncos on Saturday.

The Titans are in the midst of huge changes to their forward pack. Former Blues hooker Peats is off-contact and can’t find a spot while Jai Arrow will join the Rabbitohs next year.
    They have signed Tino Fa’asuamaleaui for next season and are looking at Brisbane’s David Fifita and Newcastle’s Herman Ese’ese.
    The 125kg Boyd has struggled to adapt to the fast-paced NRL since the introduction of the six-again rule and is at long odds to pull on a Titans jersey again.
    Boyd, who drives a beefed up Toyota Landcruiser ute, is a country boy at heart and wants to return to his hometown of Cowra in New South Wales to work in the family livestock business.

But he has a huge financial consideration to make.
    Boyd signed a $2.4 million four-year contract with the Titans from 2019-2022 and is not even halfway through the deal.
    He can see out the contract and spend the next two-and-a-half years in reserve grade with the possibility of making the odd appearance in the NRL.
    Boyd, 27, is hoping to broker a deal with the Titans to receive a payout to leave the club immediately.
    Any payout would be included in the Gold Coast’s salary cap for the next two seasons, leaving the Titans with a delicate decision to make.
    Titans CEO Steve Mitchell refused to comment on the situation.

Boyd was one of the NRL’s top props in 2016 and played four Tests for the Kangaroos.
    Former Titans coach Garth Brennan splashed out huge money to bring him to the Gold Coast from Canberra, but he has only managed 14 games in two seasons after suffering a shoulder injury last year.
    Boyd played one game following the COVID-19 lockdown and hasn’t been sighted in the NRL since.
    There was talk he could join the Dragons to replace England-bound James Graham and be closer to home, but that appears unlikely.

Inactive User

SBoyd biggest lemon ever
    Thanks Phil
    Thanks Garth
    Thanks Graham

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    If Souths can medically retire Inglis only for him to magically heal and make a comeback, why can’t we medically retire *edit* Boyd?
    I used to think that he was medically retired but i have since been corrected. He retired and Souths gave him a nothing job to basically pay for his retirement and free up their cap to take players like Arrow. It's a great example of how rich clubs can affect their own salary caps and make it an uneven playing field once again.

It's easy to say pay them out when it's not our money, if I was an owner and I was being asked to pay someone $400k over 2 years (as example) not to play for us I'd be finding hard to find my way to the cheque book even though it would help the club.

What's the news Bods? I've missed something, sounds like it was good news anyway so all good.

Wasn't it Burgess who was "medically" retired which led to Souths going after Arrow?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I used to think that he was medically retired but i have since been corrected. He retired and Souths gave him a nothing job to basically pay for his retirement and free up their cap to take players like Arrow. It's a great example of how rich clubs can affect their own salary caps and make it an uneven playing field once again.

It's easy to say pay them out when it's not our money, if I was an owner and I was being asked to pay someone $400k over 2 years (as example) not to play for us I'd be finding hard to find my way to the cheque book even though it would help the club.

What's the news Bods? I've missed something, sounds like it was good news anyway so all good.
    I think astute business people like the Kellys and Frizelles will avoid getting stuck in the sunk cost fallacy trap. Boyd’s money is already spent and if the cost-benefit analysis says paying him out early and getting someone else in is the best option, they will do it.

Reading the litany of poor recruiting decisions is very depressing ... I’ll just go out and strangle myself with a kilometer of wet noodles. Happy Dragon Boat Festival to one and all (look it up if you don’t know).
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    I think astute business people like the Kellys and Frizelles will avoid getting stuck in the sunk cost fallacy trap. Boyd’s money is already spent and if the cost-benefit analysis says paying him out early and getting someone else in is the best option, they will do it.
    If the retirement money is paid for out of the cap then fine, if it doesn't and the owners need to cough up some $ then I would assume hesitation.

You're right Diehard Burgess allowed the $ for the Rabbits to grab Arrow. Amazing how the rich clubs reitrees end up on Fox sports or Triple M.