Page 99 of 217 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 109 149 199 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 3242
    Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    We’d all love to think he would go somewhere before his contract is up but he will never replace that wage. He’s obsolete in today’s NRL and who really wants to move to England. I mean my ancestors stole a loaf of bread to get away from the **** hole.
    I don’t think the set restart rule change will stay in its current form. It has changed the game too radically and made certain players like Wallace obsolete as you say. It’s just too big of a change to implement practically overnight and I can see a few teams with heavier packs kicking up a stink. Bellamy has already said it’s not working because the captains don’t get a chance to question the decisions. I agree with him. I also think it’s unsustainable with the current format requiring the scorer to receive the kick off. It causes games to snowball and we end up with these blowout scores. Discipline is obviously important, but I think the rule change has made completions too important to the point of being unbalanced and preventing teams from grinding their way back into the game due to excessive fatigue. If the rule is either reverted or modified in some way as I suspect, players like Wallace may come back into the frame. If not, I could still see someone like the Tigers or Dogs signing him on a subsidised wage.

First Grader

Dufty has killed it today with a try and 2 try assists and ran 184 metres
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 14-06-20 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    I don’t think the set restart rule change will stay in its current form. It has changed the game too radically and made certain players like Wallace obsolete as you say. It’s just too big of a change to implement practically overnight and I can see a few teams with heavier packs kicking up a stink. Bellamy has already said it’s not working because the captains don’t get a chance to question the decisions. I agree with him. I also think it’s unsustainable with the current format requiring the scorer to receive the kick off. It causes games to snowball and we end up with these blowout scores. Discipline is obviously important, but I think the rule change has made completions too important to the point of being unbalanced and preventing teams from grinding their way back into the game due to excessive fatigue. If the rule is either reverted or modified in some way as I suspect, players like Wallace may come back into the frame. If not, I could still see someone like the Tigers or Dogs signing him on a subsidised wage.
    That's a thoughtful post mate but as this is a forum where we all put our views I completely disagree with what you have written.
    The restart rule has been universally accepted from what I see, except for the refs inconsistent application of it - and aren't they inconsistent with just about anything anyway.
    I think it's great that captains don't get a chance to question decisions. That is mainly done to waste time anyway and give defences a chance to get set. As for players being obsolete, the good ones will adjust. A good NRL player will change with the game just as it has changed over the years. Blokes like Boyd will not adjust but the game had left them behind anyway.
    Blow out scores were less this weekend and will settle further as coaches work out ways to beat the system. I think fatigue will increase and that is exactly what we want. Again, stopping the captains question decisions is a good thing. When was a decision changed anyway.
    Melbourne looked a bit shaky with the new rules, but Bellamy had them back to usual last night. I only listen to the radio and watch the games on Fox, so I have no idea what the old relics on 9 are thinking, but from what I hear a huge majority think the game is the best it has been for years.
    Anyway, just my views and I'm sure you'll have further thoughts.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Dufty has killed it today with a try and 2 try assists and ran 184 metres
    Dufty having a blinder might see the TSailor release expedited.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    That's a thoughtful post mate but as this is a forum where we all put our views I completely disagree with what you have written.
    The restart rule has been universally accepted from what I see, except for the refs inconsistent application of it - and aren't they inconsistent with just about anything anyway.
    I think it's great that captains don't get a chance to question decisions. That is mainly done to waste time anyway and give defences a chance to get set. As for players being obsolete, the good ones will adjust. A good NRL player will change with the game just as it has changed over the years. Blokes like Boyd will not adjust but the game had left them behind anyway.
    Blow out scores were less this weekend and will settle further as coaches work out ways to beat the system. I think fatigue will increase and that is exactly what we want. Again, stopping the captains question decisions is a good thing. When was a decision changed anyway.
    Melbourne looked a bit shaky with the new rules, but Bellamy had them back to usual last night. I only listen to the radio and watch the games on Fox, so I have no idea what the old relics on 9 are thinking, but from what I hear a huge majority think the game is the best it has been for years.
    Anyway, just my views and I'm sure you'll have further thoughts.
    I welcome disagreement. Without it, we’re not on a discussion board, we’re on a statement board.

If the NRL want to make such consequential changes, they can’t just dump it on teams out of the blue. It needs to be planned in advance, say roughly proportional to the average length of a contract. That way teams who have invested in players like Boyd and Wallace aren’t caught with their pants down when the game changes on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    If the NRL want to make such consequential changes, they can’t just dump it on teams out of the blue. It needs to be planned in advance, say roughly proportional to the average length of a contract. That way teams who have invested in players like Boyd and Wallace aren’t caught with their pants down when the game changes on a whim.
    I certainly agree with you there. No major rule changes should be introduced once a season commences. I think V'Landys is a crash through type of guy, probably frustrated after the soft leadership of Greenburg.
    In Wallace's case, he was off last year so the rule change may or may not have contributed to his downfall.
    Anyway, good to debate our viewpoints mate.

Wallace was found out many times last year that he wasn't fit enough and would give away fatigue penalties and he has been shown nothing this year to see that has changed. It has nothing to do with the rule changes IMO and more to do with his fitness.
    S Boyd was demonstrating at Canberra that he could keep up in the modern game and yet we signed him anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRLReport/

According to the RL Report there is a post that Corey Thompson has signed with us. I suspect that we should hear today if true.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

https://twitter.com/weststigers/stat...195957761?s=21

Corey Thompson saying farewell to Tigers Supporters.

- - - Updated - - -

Moley suggesting He’s heading our way.

https://twitter.com/9_moley/status/1...949842432?s=21

First Grader

Confirmed signing

Exciting fullback Corey Thompson will be a Titan until the end of 2022 after signing with the Gold Coast on a three-season deal.

The 30-year-old try-scoring machine is a quality recruit for the Titans, bringing reliability and attacking spark to the backline, as well as a wealth of experience in the NRL and Super League gathered during stints with the Bulldogs, Tigers and Widnes Vikings in the UK.

Thompson will join the Titans immediately, and head north to join his new teammates this week in the hope of being available for selection in the Titans’ return to Suncorp Stadium next weekend for the home clash with the Dragons.

Born in Brisbane, and an Easts Mount Gravatt junior, Thompson began his senior career with the Souths Logan Magpies and Easts Tigers in the Queensland Cup before joining Canterbury in 2014, going on to play in the Bulldogs’ grand final loss to Souths that year.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook said he was excited about the qualities Thompson would bring to the Gold Coast.

“He is obviously a very good fullback with terrific speed and consistency, and the past few weeks under the new ruck rules have shown us just how important those qualities are in the modern game,” Holbrook said.

“He brings good experience with over 100 top-level games in the NRL and Super League, he’s played in a grand final.

“But most importantly brings great values to the Club in the way he prepares and good, honest qualities in the way he interacts with his coaches and teammates.

“He is an anticipation player, who plays what is in front of him, and a Queensland guy excited about the chance to come home. I think our Titans Members and fans should be very excited about what Corey will be able to produce for our Club for the next three seasons.

“He was contracted with the Tigers until the end of 2021, and they didn’t want to let him go. But they were also grateful for the contribution he had made to their club and released him to take this opportunity with the Titans.”

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Confirmed signing
    How good! I think the weekend really showed our need for an actual fullback. I think he was the best option out of all the names thrown up the last few days. Hopefully he gets in this week and Kelly slots back to centre.

Quote Originally Posted by elltee View Post
    How good! I think the weekend really showed our need for an actual fullback. I think he was the best option out of all the names thrown up the last few days. Hopefully he gets in this week and Kelly slots back to centre.
    That would be my hope / guess.

Inactive User

Biggest marquee fullback signing since Jarryd Hayne

Welcome to the team Corey, love it when we sign guys like this, he would be the equivalent to the Michael Gordon signing, fly under the radar, consistently produce 7/10 performance, but always digging in, if some of our players can learn these attributes our team can go far