Page 14 of 217 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Titans coach Justin Holbrook makes first move with Cowboys enforcer John Asiata
    Travis Meyn and Peter Badel, The Sunday Mail (Qld)
    November 23, 2019 8:37pm
    Subscriber only

Titans coach Justin Holbrook has set his first recruitment target after meeting with North Queensland’s NRL premiership-winning prop John Asiata.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Asiata toured the Titans’ high performance centre on the Gold Coast this week.

The 2015 premiership winner is off-contract at the end of next season and has started assessing his future.

Asiata, 26, has played 117 NRL games for the Cowboys since debuting in 2014 under coach Paul Green, who previously worked with him at the Roosters.

Asiata’s manager, Chris Orr, confirmed the Tongan and Samoan international met with the Titans.

“It is early days and Johnny was on the Gold Coast with family so it was a great opportunity to meet the Titans whilst he was here,” Orr said.

“The Titans presented a very professional presentation to John which will certainly give him plenty to think about.”

Asiata hails from western Sydney and came through the Roosters’ lower grades.

He was one of Green’s first signings when he took over the reins of the Cowboys and played six games in his debut season.

Asiata played 25 games in North Queensland’s historic 2015 premiership season and came off the bench in the Cowboys’ extra-time grand final victory against Brisbane.

A talented ball-player, Asiata made 12 appearances in the halves for the Cowboys last season.

Asiata played two Tests for Samoa in 2016-17 before switching allegiances to Tonga this year.

Holbrook is looking for ways to bolster his squad after the Titans claimed the wooden spoon last season under former coach Garth Brennan.

The future of poorly-performing prop Shannon Boyd has come under the microscope, but Holbrook this week insisted the ex-Kangaroos front rower was part of his plans.

Asiata is contracted to the Cowboys for 2020 and it appears unlikely he would make an immediate move to the Gold Coast following the retirement of North Queensland legend Matt Scott.

However the NRL player market is in full swing and the Titans need to add four players to their top squad before March 1.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Yep with you there Titanic. Reckon he would be a really good buy and shouldn’t break the bank. My only worry is that I hope it’s not because the club knows what’s coming with Arrow...
    If we lose Arrow and sign Asiata, it's one step forward and two steps back. Just hopeless if we lose blokes like Arrow.

If arrow is after more money the titains haven’t got a hope in keeping him

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    If we lose Arrow and sign Asiata, it's one step forward and two steps back. Just hopeless if we lose blokes like Arrow.
    What if we refuse 900 for Arrow, sign Asiata for 400-500, then use the leftovers to go for a shiny new centre or winger?

We've offered arrow a very decent offer and if he doesn't take it we all knows his hearts not with the club. Every year there is a bunch of new guns which breakout at least we will have some funds free to tie some of them up.

Boyd seven kilos lighter and ready to return to Test form

Titans prop Shannon Boyd returned to pre-season training seven kilos lighter than last year as he targets returning to the form that led to him representing Australia in 2016.

The 27-year-old is on track to be fit for round one next year after undergoing a major shoulder reconstruction in the wake of an injury suffered in the round 17 clash with Penrith.

Boyd is in the midst of a six-to-eight-month recovery period where he has kept himself in top shape and will be back doing contact work in mid-January.

"I was seven kilos lighter this year when I came back for day one training compared to last year. This year I was around 125 kilos whereas last year I was 132," he told NRL.com.

"I've watched what I've been eating and when I went back to the [family] farm in Cowra I did a bit of work and trained more than I usually would. I am running a lot better at training and feeling really good.

"Obviously you want to play your best and I think the best footy I played was in 2016. I have played well in games since and been where I wanted to be but I have been too inconsistent. I want to play good consistent footy next year and enjoy it."

Five key match-ups of the Titans' 2020 draw
    In the trial game against the Broncos on the Gold Coast this year Boyd was on fire in the opening 20 minutes with his fierce charges and quick play-the-balls the catalyst for the Titans leading 18-0 early. He them came off with a dislocated thumb and the Broncos fought back to win the game. Boyd struggled to replicate that kind of form in the 13 NRL games he played for the Gold Coast in 2019.

It is the kind of football played by giant Melbourne prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona that Boyd wants to replicate in 2020.

"We have guys like Jai Arrow, Jai Whitbread and Moeaki [Fotuaika] who can all play big-minutes but I still think there is a place for us big boys in the game," Boyd said.

"You look at big Nelson [Asofa-Solomona] and he might only play 40 minutes but he runs big metres and is very effective. That is what I need to get back to with the big carries, quick play-the-balls and being more aggressive in defence as well. All of that can turn momentum in games."

Titans captain Ryan James has no doubt Boyd has put himself in position to play at his best next year.

"Shannon Boyd at his best played for Australia and that is the form we want him to get back to," James told NRL.com.

"He is just one of those players who adds the intimidation factor when he is fit and healthy. The shoulder injury last season didn't help but he has cut back a fair bit of weight and everything is in place for him to be fit for round one

"In the first couple of weeks of training he has probably trained the hardest of all of us and is getting the kilometres back in his legs running up and down the sideline."

Boyd said he had embraced the training of new head coach Justin Holbrook and was also enjoying working with assistant coach Jim Dymock. The penny has well and truly dropped with the players that last season's wooden spoon finish cannot be repeated.

"The way that Justin has approached everything has been really positive and there is a lot better attitude around the place," Boyd said.

"There is no whinging or complaining about things. Everyone is buying in and it is good to see. Everyone is really hungry after last season and the club is at that point where we have to do well.

"I like Justin's approach. He is not trying to be over-the-top. It is all about the basics and fundamentals. Last year we had so many errors and that is why we lost so many games. The little details he has brought in I think will be a big help for us. The field sessions seems to be running a lot crisper.

"Jim Dymock has been really good. His structures are simple but work well and that is going to help with our defence."

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    We've offered arrow a very decent offer and if he doesn't take it we all knows his hearts not with the club. Every year there is a bunch of new guns which breakout at least we will have some funds free to tie some of them up.
    Been my point since the whole “Arrow wants to test the market”. We’ve made an offer, we need the conviction to stick by our assessment. If we lose him, so be it. We will have had three years of a Origin player at a bargain basement rate!

QLD Cup

What's this about us going after Mitchell? Courier Mail.
    Last edited by Titanic Believer; 24-11-19 at 10:29 PM.

From the Daily Telegraph:

NRL battlers Gold Coast Titans join two-way fight for Latrell Mitchell

This is the decision that could make or break Latrell Mitchell’s career on and off the field: Would you bank your footballing future on the Wests Tigers or the NRL basket case that is the Gold Coast?

The Titans are now the Tigers’ greatest threat in the race for one of the NRL’s most naturally gifted yet enigmatic young stars.

The Tigers have tabled an offer for three years starting in 2021.

But that deal essentially runs for four years from next season providing Mitchell is granted an immediate release from the Sydney Roosters, as expected.

The Tigers’ offer is said to be in the ballpark of $1 million a season.

They also have a genuine belief their club can not only help take Mitchell’s football but his life off the field to the next level during that term.

Given Mitchell is now at the crossroads after being dumped from the NSW State of Origin team this year before the Sydney Roosters grew tired of his antics, the Tigers are convinced they could be as good for him as he could be for them.

Not only would Mitchell be guaranteed the chance to own the fullback position, but the Tigers’ standing within the Sydney community is viewed as a far more powerful proposition than the Titans to elevate Mitchell’s off-field profile.

While the Tigers are yet to put a deadline on negotiations, a final decision is expected this week.

There does remain a genuine concern from within the Tigers that South Sydney could still emerge as a shock late contender for Mitchell.

It is understood the Tigers have only had one face-to-face meeting with Mitchell where coach Michael Maguire, chief executive Justin Pascoe and general manager of football Adam Hartigan put forward their pitch.

First Grader

I dont know if hes worth what hes asking, dont think we need him

Inactive User

Who wrote that article?

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Who wrote that article?
    Paul Crawley

Must have something really against us to call the club a basket case.. I don’t see any quotes from anyone from the titans or anything.. seems like a made up story to me.. we don’t have the money for next season, even though his contracted to the roosters for another year, I’m sure he wants out ASAP.. plus we have brimson as fb.. I honestly think it’s a made up story and someone from the titans must of butt hurt him so he needed to have a dig at us and make up crap

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Paul Crawley
    Thanks. What a scum bag. Easy to make spiteful comments like that down in Sydney about us. What a despicable thing to say given the work and money poured in by Darryl and Bec and the staff in recent years.

Rep Player

Yeah I’m not buying this Latrell rumour