Page 169 of 217 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 179 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 3242

Fermor for f troop?

Ricky Leutele, Melbourne Storm: NRL clears road for stranded star
    Ricky Leutele, who played alongside Sonny Bill Williams at the Wolfpack, is battling a dire situation England but one NRL team is set to come to the stranded star’s rescue.
    I am so happy that he can some money for the rest of the season

Indigenous footy well and truly on the map

‘I’m glad to be back’: Gai returns with spring in her step

Part-timers to 24/7 access: The incredible change over rugby league

The NRL has been forced to back down on a decision to ban Melbourne Storm from signing Toronto Wolfpack star Ricky Leutele for the remainder of the season.

Like Sonny Bill Williams, Leutele played for the now collapsed UK Super League club which folded two weeks ago, owing hundreds of thousands of dollars to stranded players.

Leutele himself is owed around $80,000 and hasn’t been paid for more than two months.

He has received an eviction notice to leave his Manchester home because the club stopped paying his rent, which was an agreement in his contract.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

He has been asked to return the car the club provided him with.

On Saturday his UK visa ran out. He has been given a four-week extension to get out of the country.

He has a wife and three children under six with him in England.

Now to the NRL and the roadblocks that originally stopped him from coming home to play football.

Ricky Leutele with his family. The former NRL star is in a dire predicament.
    Ricky Leutele with his family. The former NRL star is in a dire predicament.
    The New Zealand Warriors recruitment boss Peter O’Sullivan has confirmed the club doesn’t want him. He says it’s not worth it for the final three rounds of the competition by the time he has done isolation for a fortnight.

Melbourne Storm stepped in. They have lost loan centre Paul Momirovski for the rest of the season with an injury. They have one spot still available in their 30-man roster.

Storm has only $35,000 left in their salary cap. That’s all they can offer him.

Leutele is more than happy with that amount. When you haven’t been paid for two months, you’ll grab whatever you can.

No, the NRL wouldn’t let it happen.

MORE NRL NEWS

Monday Buzz: 16 NRL clubs can taste $20m one-off payment

Revealed: Every NRL club’s fastest, fittest and strongest

Map highlights where the NRL’s Indigenous players hail from

Part-timers to 24/7 access: Evolution of the rugby league player

Their salary cap team valued Leutele at $60,000 for the remainder of the season.

The same people who bent the rules for SBW and Suaalii refused to budge.

“The way he’s been treated is a bloody disgrace,” says his agent Sam Ayoub, “They’ve got three kids under the age of six. They’re getting out of the house. No car. No wages since May.

“The club is supposed to pay for his airfares to get home. It’s not happening. Ricky is up for the costs himself. And now we’ve got the NRL trying to stop him from playing.”

Your columnist spoke to Leutele in the north of England over the weekend.

“I just want to come home,” he said, “We’re packing the house up now.

Sonny Bill Williams was welcomed back with open arms. Picture: Mark Evans
    Sonny Bill Williams was welcomed back with open arms. Picture: Mark Evans
    “I’m frustrated more than angry. It’s been such a rollercoaster ride.

“My wife is trying to sort out our flights and we hope to get out of here in about a week.”

The footballer is a quietly spoken Polynesian who is not into controversy.

He points out others are doing it tougher than him.

“Everyone is struggling during coronavirus,” he said, “so I can’t complain too much.

“It’s been hard though. I just hope Sam can sort it out and I can come home to play football.

“I’ve been training and I’ll be ready.”

The NRL on Sunday night said it was now in the Storm’s hands.

Leutele could replace injured loan player Paul Momirovski. Picture: Matt Roberts/Getty
    Leutele could replace injured loan player Paul Momirovski. Picture: Matt Roberts/Getty
    “We’ve been working with the club and RLPA to reach a suitable solution which is fair and equitable to all involved and doesn’t disadvantage any of the other 15 clubs,” a spokesman said.

“A proposal from the NRL and RLPA was given to the club today after discussions over the weekend.”

In the end it came down to a situation where the NRL was boxed into a corner.

They couldn’t bend the rules for SBW to have two contracts but block Leutele.

They couldn’t bend the rules for Joseph Suaalii and the Rabbitohs so he can play at 17.

The same rules must apply for every player and every club.

Originally published as Leutele backflip: Stranded star’s NRL lifeline

Albert Kelly is off contract and returning to Australia at the end of this season, what do you guys reckon about handing him a contract? On his day he is one the best in the NRL and with his running game behind our forward pack in 2021, he could potentially light up the comp. Also still has connections with the club, and at 29 still has a few seasons in him

Quote Originally Posted by mitchdox View Post
    Albert Kelly is off contract and returning to Australia at the end of this season, what do you guys reckon about handing him a contract? On his day he is one the best in the NRL and with his running game behind our forward pack in 2021, he could potentially light up the comp. Also still has connections with the club, and at 29 still has a few seasons in him
    No way.
    "On his day he is one of the best in the NRL". You are kidding.

I loved that guy back in the day but I’ll leave it up to Justin now

No for me on Kelly. He was released by us for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchdox View Post
    Lucky you don’t work fo me. We had drug tests today.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    One of your best.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    lmao

Inactive User

I did really enjoy watching Albert Kelly play for us.

Rep Player

Albert Kelly had a great highlights reel and that’s about it. I’d rather Aidan Sezer back.

Good one JB, no to A Kelly and BBQ Alone then Sezer for mine.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Immortal

Looking forward to seeing how David Fifita comes back from injury at left second row on Friday night against Souths.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how David Fifita comes back from injury at left second row on Friday night against Souths.
    Agree. Just thinking the same thing. Hope he just eases into it. Also see how he has managed the injury.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Two reasons to watch a Broncos game now.