Page 192 of 217 FirstFirst ... 92 142 182 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 202 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 3242
    First Grader

Good news, but isn't there some other decent qcup/nsw cup players we could give heap deals too?

I know someone mentioned luke page but whatever happened to Lachlan Timm? Signed with dragons and havnt seen him since, I thought he went well?

Going to need a good solid group of cheaper forwards to compliment the cash we have tied up with fifi and tino

Inactive User

Joliffe is a great guy for us to have coming off the bench Or adding depth in the years to come.

First Grader

Titans firming to land a Smith
    Whether it be Cameron or Brandon, the Titans are well placed to acquire one of the star hookers ��

BY SAMMY NEALE -
    STAFF WRITER
    AUGUST 25, 2020
    NRL Rd 19 - Storm v Sea Eagles

The rumour mill is swirling as the Titans look to acquire one of Melbourne’s star hookers.

Whether it be Cameron Smith or Brandom Smith, either way, the Coast would love a Smith.

With Nathan Peats’ most recent performance becoming commonplace, I think it’s about time to part ways and so does the club.

This would leave a giant Smith sized hole to be filled and if Cameron would like to remain a one-club man, then it would trigger a clause in Brandon’s contract allowing him to hit free agency.

The two teams rumoured to be in heavy for him are the Bulldogs and Titans, who are both rebuilding.

The question is; would Brandon Smith jump at the chance to join a total rebuild in Sydney? Or would he prefer the vibrancy of the Gold Coast, alongside other young, talented prospects?

Right now I think the Bulldogs are the most talent depleted team in the league, which may detract from the appeal of the club. The Coast, on the other hand, have a group of really talented youngsters which he could grow alongside, and if he was willing to take a little less money, I think the Titans could build a very solid squad around him.

Not quite on the brink of a premiership, this acquisition could propel the Titans up the ladder, definitely becoming a team more capable of regular wins. They’d need another marquee half if they are to make a deep title run, but with the addition of Brandon Smith, they’d be well on their way to luring one.

Brandon’s enthusiasm is infectious. His tutelage under the greatest number nine to ever do it is second to none, so you know he has the knowledge and leadership qualities required for a marquee signing.

Someone who won’t rest on their laurels and will always give his best effort no matter the circumstance. His style of play would help build the Titans pack into a very dynamic, young and mobile group with the capability for explosive play.

Imagine Brimson sweeping out the back of a short side and Brandon Smith shoots out from dummy half. The possibility of plays for Holbrook to create with such a dynamic hooker would open up our whole attack.

In his last two appearances, Brandon’s played an electrifying 65 minutes, which is just incredible for such a workhorse hooker. Against the Bulldogs, Brandon laid on one try assists and one line-break assist with a further three runs from dummy half for 21 metres.

He shines defensively every week with his effort plays motivating the players around him. In this game, he managed a one-on-one steal, a 93.8 tackle efficiency all while notching up a game-high tackle count for his squad with 30.

The Roosters stats show his offensive capabilities as he was ready to put his stamp on the big Thursday night game in place of Cameron Smith. Seven dummy-half runs for 77 meters is great in such a big game, especially since the defence would have been preparing for him to be aggressive out of the ruck.

He ended up with 118 metres on 11 runs with a total of 38 post-contact metres. He’s one of the toughest players to tackle in the league, he never gives in to a tackle and continues to keep the leg drive going.

He even managed to show that he’s developing that signature Cameron Smith 40/20, notching one himself with the skipper in the stands. Another stout defensive performance with a 94.7 tackle efficiency.

The Titans’ recent recruits have been damaging on both sides of the ball. Brandon Smith fits this bill to an absolute tee. Justin Holbrook would be very excited to add the Kiwi international’s experience and leadership to such a crucial position in his spine.

If Smith is willing to exercise his contract clause I think the Titans should be all over him like a hot rash.

At 24 years of age with plenty of development ahead and coming from the best system in the NRL is not an opportunity the Titans can let slip.

The current hookers at the club just don’t have the X factor or talent that Brandon possess. The tides are turning on the Coast and with the recent rumours swirling after the big-name signings made recently, it definitely has fans excited and positive heading forward with the club.

If Holbrook were to get his hands on Brandon I believe we could see this club’s culture flourish as they push towards the finals in the future.

Best of luck to the Titans in their recruit for Brandon and Cameron – either would be a massive coup.

I'm a great fan of Jolliffe and I think he's is one of those missing pieces that by luck or good management we have managed to bring to the squad. He's a starting prop like Luke Douglas; not flash, isn't a wrecking ball but gives his best each week ... no fuss, nothing stupid. Him, MoFo and to lesser extent Wallace, Ese2 and Lisone will be great foils for the dynamic duo of Difita and Tino. Pleased for Jolliffe and pleased for the Club ... now let's grab a Smith.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

We have resigned Holbrook until 2024

Anyone prefer Brandon over Cameron? Brandon has better long term value where Cameron will give us a massive boost to start but we will be back to square one in a year or two chasing a Hooker again.
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Anyone prefer Brandon over Cameron? Brandon has better long term value where Cameron will give us a massive boost to start but we will be back to square one in a year or two chasing a Hooker again.
    It's a touugh one, if we had some developing hookers Cameron Smith's mentoring for them will be invaluable for the years to come, just look at Harry Grant....however the question is do we have some hookers due to debut in a year or two.....I don't think so but Mdrew would know best.

I am all for Hectic Cheese his decision making or kicking game isn't to the same level as Cameron, but he is enthusiastic, he runs hard and near the try line he puts his head were no other player would.

Either way I would be over the moon if we sign any of Cameron, Brandon, Harry Grant, Cam McInnes - I think all of them would bring an extra dimension in attack and defense to our Titans

Holbrook and Jolifee signings as well, wow really impressed with the club this year. Don't forget Darryl Kelly the white knight, I hope we can give him a premiership to reward all his sacrifices for our club
    Last edited by indoallstars; 26-08-20 at 09:05 AM.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Definitely not gonna turn my nose up if we get Brandon, but I'd prefer Cam. 1-2 years on the field then transition into an assistant coach role. I think his leadership would be the most valuable thing we could ever add to our club.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    It's a touugh one, if we had some developing hookers Cameron Smith's mentoring for them will be invaluable for the years to come, just look at Harry Grant....however the question is do we have some hookers due to debut in a year or two.....I don't think so but Mdrew would know best.

I am all for Hectic Cheese his decision making or kicking game isn't to the same level as Cameron, but he is enthusiastic, he runs hard and near the try line he puts his head were no other player would.

Either way I would be over the moon if we sign any of Cameron, Brandon, Harry Grant, Cam McInnes - I think all of them would bring an extra dimension in attack and defense to our Titans

Holbrook and Jolifee signings as well, wow really impressed with the club this year. Don't forget Darryl Kelly the white knight, I hope we can give him a premiership to reward all his sacrifices for our club
    We have Jed Edwards and Ediq Ambrosiev if I recall correctly. They both look goods I think but they still are young kids

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Definitely not gonna turn my nose up if we get Brandon, but I'd prefer Cam. 1-2 years on the field then transition into an assistant coach role. I think his leadership would be the most valuable thing we could ever add to our club.
    A tough one, but I'm leaning towards Brandon due to the fact he will be playing for a lot longer and we will not be looking for a hooker again in one or two years. I still can't get it out of my head the problems that Cameron had when Cronk left the Storm for the Roosters. Now it seems that Cam might do something similar. It's only a minor criticism but Cam seems to care about Cam and not so much for others, his delay in letting the Storm know what he is doing as one example.
    Overall though, I would gladly welcome either. It just shows how far this club has come that we are even having this discussion.
    Meanwhile, up the road

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    We have Jed Edwards and Ediq Ambrosiev if I recall correctly. They both look goods I think but they still are young kids
    Yeah mdrew has spoken highly of them but they're still young so I'm not gonna get too excited about them just yet. Same goes for Tom Weaver. TEDS system sounds brilliant though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    A tough one, but I'm leaning towards Brandon due to the fact he will be playing for a lot longer and we will not be looking for a hooker again in one or two years. I still can't get it out of my head the problems that Cameron had when Cronk left the Storm for the Roosters. Now it seems that Cam might do something similar. It's only a minor criticism but Cam seems to care about Cam and not so much for others, his delay in letting the Storm know what he is doing as one example.
    Overall though, I would gladly welcome either. It just shows how far this club has come that we are even having this discussion.
    Meanwhile, up the road
    Yeah I can see that side of the coin too. I just really want Cam in our system and I think the best way would be a short term playing contract so that he can pass on his knowledge/leadership to our squad on field first. Maybe by the time he's ready to hang em up, Edwards/Ambrosyev will be ready and will have benefited greatly from his tutelage.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/kni...26-p55phv.html

Knights, Titans circle off-contract Titans skipper Proctor

Kevin Proctor’s biting drama hasn’t diminished his chances of a new NRL contract, with the Knights and Warriors expressing interest in the off-contract Gold Coast captain.

Proctor was headline news last week after the judiciary found him guilty of biting Kiwis teammate Shaun Johnson. Despite protesting his innocence, Proctor copped a four-week suspension following a marathon hearing at Rugby League Central.

There were fears a lengthy ban would spell the end for his NRL career. However, the Titans want to retain their skipper when his contract expires at the end of the season and other suitors have also emerged.

The Herald can reveal Newcastle and the Warriors are in the mix for Proctor’s services if he doesn’t come to terms with the Titans. Both clubs believe the 30-year-old’s experience would be an asset. A move would allow him to significantly add to the 250-game milestone he brought up against Cronulla a fortnight ago.

The Titans are also keen to keep their skipper and are in negotiations to extend his tenure.

Speaking before his judiciary hearing, Proctor told the Herald the biting dramas shouldn’t affect his employment prospects.

"I hope it doesn't affect anything contract wise," he said at the time.

"I don't think it should because it's not my character, it's not the type of person I am … I'm not a dirty player and I don't think people will remember me like that.”

The development comes as the Gold Coast extend the tenure of coach Justin Holbrook until the end of 2024.

After 15 games, the Titans have added another two years to Holbrook's deal during a season in which five coaches have been sacked.

Holbrook saying he hasn't spoken to Smith and doesn't expect him to be here. Hopefully Mal is doing the talking...

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/26/...l-end-of-2024/

NZTITANS not a guy I'd get into a bidding war over.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    NZTITANS not a guy I'd get into a bidding war over.
    Agreed