Page 122 of 217 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 132 172 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 3242
    Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Nice post Titanic. I think you've hit the nail on the head with most of those comments. All in all our roster is beginning to shape up. I can't see us shaking Cartwright or Peachey but if we managed to get rid of Boyd and Wallace it would really improve things.

This may be controversial but I still see Tino as a bench forward. I also think we should look at signing Proctor for another two years. We need some experienced heads in the team. I know he won't break many tackles or bend the line like Tino or Fafita would but our pack is going to need to cool heads to get us through tight games.

I'd also like to echo what Bayside is saying in terms of value for Ese'Ese and Asita.
    Agree that Titanic wrote a good post.
    With Proctor it comes down to him accepting being paid a good deal less as a bit of a thank you for how he’s not lived up to his salary in the current very generous contract he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I think that the price we pay for success isn't determined by the market but by the value a player brings to the team ... paying overs is when a player underperforms and although we have a history of that if you get the right player then it's fine. Also having "cheap" squad members after they've proven their worth is as good as showing them the door, imho, and that's why good roster management works so well e.g. Roosters/Storm and conversely Titans/and to a lesser extent Broncos. Of course it helps if you have a great club profile and recognised coaching staff.

I'm not too worried about the backs and I think we don't need to invest too much outside our own rank and file. I'd be happy to go with this team next year:

1. Thompson (AJ can fight for it).
    2. & 5. Sami (but would take Oates in a flash) and Don (a Pearson or any other can try to unseat him).
    3. & 4. Kelly and Young (recruit from our own development ranks).
    6. & 7. Taylor and Fogarty (but like Boyd a lot with Sexton nipping at their heals).

And our forwards just need the deadwood cut out plus some patience and guidance:

8. & 10. rotation: MoFo, Jolliffe, Lisone, James (Wallace if we have to).
    13. Ese'ese (like him a lot), Hipgrave, and Whitbread at a pinch (don't mind Asiata but not my first choice).
    11. & 12. the F Troop (Fermor and Farmer) are my first choices maybe one on the bench to start with though but I'm a running, tackling, spirited edge believer with Proctor and Hipgrave (Cartwright if we have to).
    9. Am not rapt in any of our current crop but could be swayed to Rein (I don't think it was a coincidence that we dropped off noticeably when we lost him) and Boyd (but feel he is more a half) or Clark (as a back up) or somebody unsighted as yet.

The enigma Peachey is a bench utility only in my mind and if he's here then that's where he plays. With that roster we should be able to upgrade, keep who we want and a have little in the pocket for a marquee signing if we are lucky (looking at you Fifita).

So it's bye-bye to Arrow, Roberts, Copley, S. Boyd, Peats, possibly Wallace, Cartwright and Peachey.

That takes care of 2021 and allows us to compete for talent in 2022. Just saying.
    Great post Titanic and a good debate starter.

Agree re fullback and centres but I can't accept Taylor and Fogarty as the future halves. Fogarty has shown little and other than Taylor's game against the Broncos he has been poor. The first half on Saturday was good but he went missing when we needed him to take control in the second half. I can't wait to get rid of him, or reduce his salary substantially. I think we need a decent experienced half and agree with the support for Maloney.
    As for the forwards I can't get wrapped in Ese Ese at all. I watched him closely yesterday and he is a plodder to me and not worth anything more than about $300k. Hipgrave will never be a smart NRL player, gives his all but I want a bloke that doesn't gives away penalties or late tackle 6 agains. As for hooker we need one badly, and probably a major priority, along with a half. But where are they.
    Thanks for your lead T.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Great post Titanic and a good debate starter.

Agree re fullback and centres but I can't accept Taylor and Fogarty as the future halves. Fogarty has shown little and other than Taylor's game against the Broncos he has been poor. The first half on Saturday was good but he went missing when we needed him to take control in the second half. I can't wait to get rid of him, or reduce his salary substantially. I think we need a decent experienced half and agree with the support for Maloney.
    As for the forwards I can't get wrapped in Ese Ese at all. I watched him closely yesterday and he is a plodder to me and not worth anything more than about $300k. Hipgrave will never be a smart NRL player, gives his all but I want a bloke that doesn't gives away penalties or late tackle 6 agains. As for hooker we need one badly, and probably a major priority, along with a half. But where are they.
    Thanks for your lead T.
    Great post Titanic and love the alternative perspective MT.

I agree that our halves aren’t where they need to be but think Fogarty does more than he gets credit for. His off-ball work, defensive stature and offensive control is very good and for a player on minimum wage, I’m ok with it. He lacks the creativity and flair to take that next step though IMO.

I think we really need premier 9. Look what Harry Grant has done to the tigers.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 06-07-20 at 07:45 PM.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Agree that Titanic wrote a good post.
    With Proctor it comes down to him accepting being paid a good deal less as a bit of a thank you for how he’s not lived up to his salary in the current very generous contract he has.
    Yeah completely agree Bods. I wouldn't be offering more than 300-350k (tops). No longer than two years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    I like it and echo your comments!

Where's does big Tino fit into your squad? Starting 2nd rower with either Fermor or Farmer on the bench?
    yes was between meetings and felt I’d missed someone ... certainly Tino on an edge ... my bad.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

TITANS COULD LOSE GUN JUNIOR
    The Titans are in danger of losing one of their best young prospects in utility Kea Pere.

A Junior Kiwi and Queensland U-20s representative, Pere can play centre, wing and second-row.

Formerly in the Storm system, he has spent the past two seasons with the Titans and is a member of the club's development squad.

But several Sydney clubs have Pere in their little black books and the Titans are struggling to get him to re-sign for 2021.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-ca...5-93429a22218b

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    TITANS COULD LOSE GUN JUNIOR
    The Titans are in danger of losing one of their best young prospects in utility Kea Pere.

A Junior Kiwi and Queensland U-20s representative, Pere can play centre, wing and second-row.

Formerly in the Storm system, he has spent the past two seasons with the Titans and is a member of the club's development squad.

But several Sydney clubs have Pere in their little black books and the Titans are struggling to get him to re-sign for 2021.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-ca...5-93429a22218b
    Expect to hear more stories like this.
    This is why I posted a few weeks ago that Mal needs to get out of Canberra and the Fox Sports studios and get up here and be in charge of “culture”.
    Do your Job Mal.

Honestly, Pere has probably been a bit underwhelming and we have better players in the same age group and position. He was great coming through the juniors but hit his ceiling fairy early.

I’m all for retaining talent but it’s silly to think we should be re-signing every young player on our books.

He’s recently changed management as well which is usually an indication that the new manager has some leverage with certain clubs.

Inactive User

^^^^ I was also wondering whether his new manager has fed The Mole this too. Good stuff HS.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    ^^^^ I was also wondering whether his new manager has fed The Mole this too. Good stuff HS.
    Bingo, bingo.

Pretty easy to work out which two management groups The Mole is fed some info...

With bellyache saying he's calling it a day when his contact is up next year, but may be open to a part-time consulting role, I'd be happy to swap him out for Mal?

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
    With bellyache saying he's calling it a day when his contact is up next year, but may be open to a part-time consulting role, I'd be happy to swap him out for Mal?
    That would be unreal and it’s not beyond the realms of possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
    Absolutely he can also be responsible for complete recruitment and salary cap management

Lol ... he would argue that he doesn’t touch recruitment, the cap or boats in the garage ... love him though.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I believe his children live on the gold coast? I think that's why he's been linked with us in the past. Pretty sure he's said before he's going to retire here?