Page 58 of 217 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 68 108 158 ... LastLast

Gold Coast aim to retain Kevin Proctor on new contract amid Super League interest
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    February 7, 2020 5:15pm
    Subscriber only

The Gold Coast have opened contract talks with veteran back-rower Kevin Proctor as NRL and Super League rivals circle the New Zealand Test star.

Proctor is off-contract at season’s end and has attracted interest from two English outfits plus a Sydney-based NRL club, putting pressure on the embattled Titans to retain one of the club’s most accomplished campaigners.

But Proctor’s preference is to remain at the Titans and he hopes a fresh round of negotiations involving culture boss Mal Meninga and recruitment chief Ezra Howe will deliver the deal that sees him finish his career on the Coast.

The Titans were rocked by Queensland Origin ironman Jai Arrow’s decision to sign with South Sydney over Christmas, and new coach Justin Holbrook can ill-afford to lose another big-name representative forward.

Proctor turns 31 later this month and has rocketed back into the frame for the Titans captaincy following the heartbreak of a season-ending knee injury to incumbent skipper Ryan James.

Proctor’s management confirmed the offshore poaching raid but said the veteran of 22 Tests for the Kiwis wants to stay loyal and finish his career in the region where he became a schoolboy sensation at Palm Beach Currumbin.

“Kevin is a leader among the group and has informed me he would like to stay with the Gold Coast and help bring success to his hometown,” said Chris Orr of PSM.

“ ‘KP’ is still performing to a high level. He represented the Kiwis last year, so he knows he has to lead by example this season.”

The fuzzy-haired Proctor has played 61 games in three years for the Titans and has largely struggled to exhibit the form that made him a premiership-winning forward weapon in nine fine seasons at Melbourne.

But with 240 NRL games under his belt, Proctor brings experience and defensive toughness to a Titans side that has leaked a whopping 1233 points in the past two seasons.

One of the Titans’ highest-paid players, Proctor faces a pay cut to remain at the Coast in his twilight years, but is prepared to take a financial hit to help rookie coach Holbrook offload the wooden spoon.

“I feel really refreshed under Justin and his coaching team and I’m really looking forward to the season ahead,” he said.

“It’s been a tough few years but there are some really good signs among the team. We are training harder and our training efforts are much higher, which makes me confident.

“I am keen to stay and help the club become a competitive force within the NRL, so hopefully my agent and the Titans can work something out.”

Inactive User

Who’s Jaimin Joliffe??

Immortal

Front rower from Newtown mate, 22 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Who’s Jaimin Joliffe??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Who’s Jaimin Joliffe??
    Made the NSW Canterbury Cup team of the year in 2019, also newtown's 2019 best and fairest

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Made the NSW Canterbury Cup team of the year in 2019, also newtown's 2019 best and fairest
    Lachlan Burr came to us with a similar CV
    Thanks for the reply Gull

QLD Cup

When did we sign him? And on what sort of contract?

Immortal

He is trialling mate. He has signed with Burleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    When did we sign him? And on what sort of contract?

Wasn't sure where to put it, but here is our 9's squad.

AJ Brimson
    Anthony Don
    Tyrone Peachey
    Jonus Pearson
    Phil Sami
    Tanah Boyd
    Ash Taylor
    Jai Whitbread
    Mitch Rein
    Sam Stone
    Bryce Cartwright
    Jaimin Joliffe
    Jai Arrow
    Greg Leleisiuao
    Treymain Spry
    Erin Clark
    Darius Farmer
    Michael Gordon

For me 9's are a bit of fun which i look forward to every year. For one, it means season proper is not too far away and i also like the chance to look at some of our upcoming players.

I think our starting 13 for round 1 is pretty set. I would like to upgrade Don so will be keeping a close eye on Spry, Pearson and Leleisiuao. Don has been a great clubman but we need to upgrade, and particularly with some speed.

Good to see Taylor named. Hopefully will get some confidence. Definitely looking the fittest he has looked for a couple of seasons.
    Last edited by Ausphin; 10-02-20 at 02:04 PM.

Excited to see how Taylor and boyd go, plus good chance to see some of the young guys like spry, gl and farmer in open space

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Gold Coast aim to retain Kevin Proctor on new contract amid Super League interest
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    February 7, 2020 5:15pm
    Subscriber only

The Gold Coast have opened contract talks with veteran back-rower Kevin Proctor as NRL and Super League rivals circle the New Zealand Test star.

Proctor is off-contract at season’s end and has attracted interest from two English outfits plus a Sydney-based NRL club, putting pressure on the embattled Titans to retain one of the club’s most accomplished campaigners.

But Proctor’s preference is to remain at the Titans and he hopes a fresh round of negotiations involving culture boss Mal Meninga and recruitment chief Ezra Howe will deliver the deal that sees him finish his career on the Coast.

The Titans were rocked by Queensland Origin ironman Jai Arrow’s decision to sign with South Sydney over Christmas, and new coach Justin Holbrook can ill-afford to lose another big-name representative forward.

Proctor turns 31 later this month and has rocketed back into the frame for the Titans captaincy following the heartbreak of a season-ending knee injury to incumbent skipper Ryan James.

Proctor’s management confirmed the offshore poaching raid but said the veteran of 22 Tests for the Kiwis wants to stay loyal and finish his career in the region where he became a schoolboy sensation at Palm Beach Currumbin.

“Kevin is a leader among the group and has informed me he would like to stay with the Gold Coast and help bring success to his hometown,” said Chris Orr of PSM.

“ ‘KP’ is still performing to a high level. He represented the Kiwis last year, so he knows he has to lead by example this season.”

The fuzzy-haired Proctor has played 61 games in three years for the Titans and has largely struggled to exhibit the form that made him a premiership-winning forward weapon in nine fine seasons at Melbourne.

But with 240 NRL games under his belt, Proctor brings experience and defensive toughness to a Titans side that has leaked a whopping 1233 points in the past two seasons.

One of the Titans’ highest-paid players, Proctor faces a pay cut to remain at the Coast in his twilight years, but is prepared to take a financial hit to help rookie coach Holbrook offload the wooden spoon.

“I feel really refreshed under Justin and his coaching team and I’m really looking forward to the season ahead,” he said.

“It’s been a tough few years but there are some really good signs among the team. We are training harder and our training efforts are much higher, which makes me confident.

“I am keen to stay and help the club become a competitive force within the NRL, so hopefully my agent and the Titans can work something out.”
    why

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    why
    Because we have a huge lack of experience/leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Because we have a huge lack of experience/leadership.
    What exactly has Proctor done to deserve to stay? Nothing. He's rubbish. Came from Storm and stunk the joint up. He can piss off as well as far as I'm concerned.

Inactive User

What exactly has Proctor done to deserve to stay? Nothing. He's rubbish. Came from Storm and stunk the joint up. He can piss off as well as far as I'm concerned.
    He’s been an enormous salary cap dump on the club. He’s stunk it up on and off the field.
    He’s one of many off contract players that will need to not only lift their game enormously this year but also be very prepared to accept pay cuts even if they do succeed in being very improved.

He can have a Ryan Simpkins type contract If he plays well. That’s it.

Rep Player

I think that’s unfair on him. He has defended well despite offering little in attack. However, he has not had a consistent halfback with him, and it has often been Taylor whose recent performances have been utterly woeful. No second rower is going to do well in attack without a solid half next to him.

Looking forward to seeing some of these young guys have a go! Hopefully some stand out and make our 17.. we really need a change in our squad from last year, we looked slow as crap compared to others.. hopefully this is on free to air or I guess NRL app will have it