Page 22 of 217 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    That’s right!!! I forgot about that. Who was the winger that was Tragically outside him back then? Mead? Don? McDonald?
    I think Alcoholics Anonymous played a drinking game when he played. Everytime Hoffman passed the ball they'd take a shot. Everyone stayed sober. Very successful program.

Geez we are a fickle lot complaining about a 100k bargain basement deal still leaves room in the kitty for the youngsters but gives us depth so we don't have Cartwright playing on the wing

I'd rather see the $100k paid to someone deserving. I see Lattrells Management are in the running for the Darwin awards this year. They're now playing the "Union" card.

@Bundy: I love a bargain as much as the next guy but Hoffman’s constipation of the back line puts him in the category of “can only play wing or off the bench” which doesn’t add value to the squad, imho. Plus he was trouble at the ‘Ponies, he was disruptive with us and was relegated at the Slipperies ... he’s experienced and tough but sorry I just would rather an up and comer ... Shibasaki anyone?
    Last edited by Titanic; 30-11-19 at 12:24 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Geez we are a fickle lot complaining about a 100k bargain basement deal still leaves room in the kitty for the youngsters but gives us depth so we don't have Cartwright playing on the wing
    Regardless of how bargain basement he may be, he still takes up a top 30 spot, so then he is blocking a junior coming through.

Agree. Hoffman is a ball hog.

I don't think he meets the standard of other former Broncos who gave us loyal service like Harrison, Meyers and Walker.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    @Bundy: I love a bargain as much as the next guy but Hoffman’s constipation of the back line puts him in the category of “can only play wing or off the bench” which doesn’t add value to the squad, imho. Plus he was trouble at the ‘Ponies, he was disruptive with us and was relegated at the Slipperies ... he’s experienced and tough but sorry I just would rather an up and comer ... Shibasaki anyone?
    Shibasaki has signed with the knights

Rep Player

Shibasaki is an absolute nuffie. Glad he’s not coming to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Shibasaki has signed with the knights
    Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Shibasaki is an absolute nuffie. Glad he’s not coming to us.
    And that’s the end of that
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Gold Coast Titans putting no pressure on young gun Toby Sexton to make NRL mark in 2020
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

THE Titans are putting no pressure on teen sensation Toby Sexton to make his NRL mark next season despite emerging as an early pre-season standout under new coach Justin Holbrook.

An architect of the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 triumph over the Junior Kiwis in September, five-eighth Sexton is embarking on his first pre-season with the Titans after penning a three-year deal with the club in August.

The 18-year-old caught the attention of Gold Coast scouts with a breakout 2019 season, helping Tweed’s Mal Meninga Cup side claim the national under-18 crown in May before steering Palm Beach Currumbin to the Allan Langer Cup title the following month.

But while he has fitted in seamlessly with the Titans over the past four weeks, Holbrook said there were no expectations Sexton would appear in the top grade in 2020.

“A lot of (the players) in the first few weeks have impressed us as coaches, that’s for sure,” Holbrook said.

“I’ve been really impressed with Toby, he’s a good young kid. Him and Tanah (Boyd) have got a good work ethic for young boys.

“He’s only young so I wouldn’t want to put expectations and say yes (he’ll play next season) and put hype on him for 2020 being his breakout year. We’ve got some good halves there.

“From a coach’s point of view, I always see the biggest upside in the young guys because that’s got such a massive area for improvement. The young ones that are coming through, your Tanah Boyds and your Toby Sextons, you can just see how much they’re going to improve in rugby league.”

Sexton and Keebra Park graduate Boyd are the poster boys for the Titans’ push to keep local talent on the Coast.

With improved pathways between the club and rugby league nurseries Palm Beach and Keebra, Holbrook said things were headed in the right direction.

“That’s one thing that, as a club, we’ve put in place over the last couple of years - to keep our best players here. It’s so important,” he said.

“They’re the ones that have grown up here so we want them to grow up and play for their local team. I know it’s obvious to say but it is important because they’re already here, they’ve got an emotional attachment to the area and you play better if you’ve got an emotional attachment to something, don’t you?

“It’s all part of it and it’s great to have those local boys back here. We can’t fix (the past) now so it’s about doing something about it now. We can’t worry about 10 years ago.

“We’ve got the pathways now so we’ve got everything right, we just need to get the main team firing.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Great news, even better when you get to see the inverted commas and there are actual quotes from the coach rather than a reporter opinion.

Jai sayinghe has not had any offers from Sydney clubs and wants to stay. Listen to the Pod here.

https://twitter.com/beersnbanter/sta...097662464?s=21
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

He genuinely sounds like he wants to stay, said what better place to live and play than on the Gold Coast, and that his goal is to win a comp and what better way to do it than in his hometown. He said that he thinks we have the right people in place now, and that on paper the team is quite strong

He also mentioned that he hasn't had any offers at all yet, and that the medias talking about all these offers on the table but he hasn't seen anything. The way he said it sounds like hes still waiting on an offer from us as well.
    Last edited by Titslover; 02-12-19 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Just can't believe some of the posts here.

Jesus ****ing christ.

Some of you have clearly learned nothing as well.

So what? I could post past highlights from Hayne, Peachey and Cartwright too. Did they improve under us? No. Why would Latrell be any different? The talk at the Roosters was he couldn't get on with the rest of his team, he's a **** trainer and he's a lazy player. We don't need to risk another signing like this.

**** me.
    Another classic Titans get success quick scheme. They'll tell us "he'll draw in massive crowds, boost membership and you can press the red button for exclusive player cam viewing, maybe we'll give him his own TV show since he's great with kids". I'm sure it will work out this time around....

The most positive thing so far this off season has been the appointment of our coaching staff (Hoolbrook, Dymock and Leninhan) who were pretty much the exact people I wanted. I also like the amount of young players training/trialing with top squad. Even if they don't get promoted it'll fast track their development.

In regards to the 3 players (Gerrard, Clark and GL) trialing with us because of our partnership with Tweed and Burleigh I can only see GL possibly earning a contract with us and being good value. Provided he learns to catch bombs and defend. His cover defending to broken field play is the probably the worst I've seen. Cartwright levels of avoiding to tackle.

Which leaves us with the other two which with all due respect to them, have nothing to offer other than filling a spot so we're compliant with the NRL. Clark was what, playing A grade for like 2 years? and was unremarkable at under 20's that the warriors let him go instantly which says it all really. Gerrard was let go by Widnes who were relegated and were desperately trying to retain their best players to get back into super league this year and at 28 I don't particularly think he will be useful to us, probably even worse than useless. So in saying that I'm adamant he's better than Latu, Stockwell and S Boyd were for us this year. At least with GL there is potential there to be a gun player for us.

Meanwhile Lachlan Timm who was the best middle forward in either state cups is on a train and trial at the Broncos. With Arrows future uncertain I'm surprised the club didn't look at him. He's a similar player; high work rate defense and ridiculous post contact meters albeit more of a stockier build and I think he would be a success like Jai is with us if given some game time in first grade.
    Last edited by The Mole; 03-12-19 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Jai sayinghe has not had any offers from Sydney clubs and wants to stay. Listen to the Pod here.

https://twitter.com/beersnbanter/sta...097662464?s=21
    Interesting, the Mole saying that Arrow to South's is a done deal, apparently.