Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 446
  1. #31
    Moderator Bayside Titan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Skilled Park- S4
    Posts
    2,698

    Default

    One thing that some people forget. That is Mal has a reputation to keep intact. He is not going leave the club in a poorer position than what he arrived in. To do so will forever taint him.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

  2. #32
    Junior
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Varsity Lakes
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Cheers mdrew for that insight. Canít wait to see a few up and comers pull on the jersey this year. Does anyone know what sort of contract Jayden Campbell signed? I find it confusing that he is train and trialist but signed a formal contract with the Titans.
    Simple answer is he has signed a junior/development contract but is trialling for a NRL top 30 contract. Will, Toby, Juwain, Tristan etc are all in the same boat.

  3. #33
    One Clubman JunctionBlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Upper Coomera
    Posts
    3,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sitting in a restaurant at Palo Alto wishing I was anywhere else but here, I add to the conversation:

    1. Perhaps if the coach focused on the football, the football department focused on recruiting and the club focused on our fan base then we would be in a better position.
    2. This squad will now be tested under a more realistic benchmarking microscope so we will find out what weíve really got.
    3. Without genuine pace out wide and strike in the centers the whole thing is purely an exercise in futility.
    4. A 12th placed finish would be a reasonable outcome in truth but a potential club killer in fact.
    5. Iím vaguely optimistic about Holbrook and this squad (ESL is not the NRL) but feel our lack of depth will hurt us. I donít want anymore marquee players, just add three more juniors and two up & comers from other clubs to work on.
    6. I think Meninga should take a flying fark off. We have the perfect club culture personality in the uniquely Gold Coast and creative P. Campbell. He is ours and represents our heart and soul instead of some out of town over-fed, over-rated and over-paid ďimmortalĒ.
    I've just got off Fraser and this sums it up for me too. Don't think we are a chance of 12th though. Mal has had 12 months and has failed in 90% of his job. If we lose Arrow and AJ then he has well and truly got no value to add to the Titans. Kallum Watkins jumps to mind as an example of his idea of a good signing.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Iíll happily eat my words if Mal turns out to be a flop but I feel most people are happy to sink the boot in when he hasnít even had the chance to achieve anything.
    I agree that Mal inherited an average roster, however his title included the word "Performance" and he was here for nearly a full season and our performance went backwards. I haven't checked but not many teams finish a clear 4 games last.

    That shambles of a roster you (correctly) refer to is almost certain to be the same roster next year. If there is an improvement does the new coach get the credit, or Mal. The coach in my book.

  5. #35
    Kangaroo Titanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nanjing
    Posts
    7,800

    Default

    Just on the Meninga thingy: I don’t like to sink the boot too early and have only done that thrice: Searle (tick); Annesley (tick); and now the big fella ... as an administrator he was a pretty good footballer ... I’ll say no more but he will forever be the Stupid League traitor who has always had his snout in the trough.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I agree that Mal inherited an average roster, however his title included the word "Performance" and he was here for nearly a full season and our performance went backwards. I haven't checked but not many teams finish a clear 4 games last.

    That shambles of a roster you (correctly) refer to is almost certain to be the same roster next year. If there is an improvement does the new coach get the credit, or Mal. The coach in my book.
    I think the coach most certainly gets the credit. Just as I am reluctant to blame last season on Mal because I firmly believe that Brennan and the decisions that were made before Mal came along were the causes of last season. Mal spent half the season conducting an in depth review (it is frustrating that it was never made public) and then spent the second half finding a new coach and taking on a general manager role - which he was never employed to do originally. It is frustrating that we have no new signings on the horizon and twice as frustrating that we haven’t been able to get rid of any dud signings but I would still rather be in this position than in the past when we bid on every person off contract and paid way too much for them. I’m just saying that I think it is stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water just because results haven’t been immediate.

  7. #37
    Junior psmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mt Gravatt East
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Anyone have access to the Courier Mail? Yesterday there was an article called Gold Coast Titans eye monster $4 million dollar roster overall. If anyone has it can they post it. Thanks
    Psmitty

  8. #38
    Junior Titanitis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    5

    Default

    The Titans are weighing up a $4 million roster overhaul as more than half of new coach Justin Holbrook’s top squad faces an uncertain future on the Gold Coast.

    Thirteen of the Gold Coast’s top 25 players are off contract at the end of the 2020 season, allowing Holbrook to orchestrate a comprehensive clean-out if he feels necessary.

    A host of big-name players are fighting for their NRL futures following a shocking wooden-spoon season which saw the Titans win only four games and culminated in the sacking of coach Garth Brennan.

    Among the off-contract players is captain Ryan James, New Zealand Test forward Kevin Proctor and former NSW Origin hooker Nathan Peats.

    The Titans have identified rising stars Jai Arrow and AJ Brimson, members of Australia’s recent World Cup 9s winning squad, as priority signings.

    But the other 11 players – which includes Anthony Don, Dale Copley, Leilani Latu and Tyrone Roberts – face the prospect of having to prove to Holbrook they deserve new deals as the Titans weigh up another roster overhaul.

    Holbrook is the Gold Coast’s third coach in three years, with the club undergoing significant squad changes under former mentors Neil Henry and Brennan.

    There is a possibility of the Titans’ squad for the 2020 season also changing, depending on player movement around the NRL.

    Culture chief Mal Meninga is playing a lead role in shaping the club’s roster, but he said Holbrook would have the ultimate say on his future squad.

    “He’s the head coach and has got some really good people around him in (assistant coaches) Jim Dymock and Jim Lenihan,” Meninga said.

    “He’s got good staff and will be in control of all that.

    “We’ve got a recruitment and retention committee and (football manager) Anthony Laffranchi has increased his role around salary cap compliance.

    “Justin and his team will get a feel for the club and players and what he needs. We’ll make some decisions based on those outcomes.

    “We’re not quite sure (if there will be player movement before 2020). It’s dependent on where Justin sees the players fitting in the team, particularly the top 17-20.

    “There may be some movement with the players. We’ve got to be patient with what we do.”

    The Titans have not offered contracts to 2019 players Jack Stockwell, Brenko Lee and Ryley Jacks, who are yet to secure deals at other clubs.

    Former Warriors and Raiders halfback Erin Clark has been offered a train-and-trial contract by the Titans for the pre-season.

    Jai Arrow is high on the club’s retention list. Picture: Jerad Williams

    Meninga has previously declared he wanted to target some of the NRL’s top players to bring to the Gold Coast.

    And he believes the Titans’ poor performances in 2019 won’t hurt them in the recruitment ring.

    “We’re really working hard behind the scenes,” he said.

    “We’ve improved our development pathway programs and have a really good football department now.

    “We’re going from strength to strength.

    “Things behind the scenes, beyond the football area of the top 30, are really strong. We’ve got a really good story to tell around recruitment.

    “We need to build our foundation to ensure we get sustainable success. We can’t make poor decisions that will impinge on our future.”

    SIGN THEM UP

    Jai Arrow

    AJ Brimson

    WAIT AND SEE

    Ryan James

    Kevin Proctor

    Nathan Peats

    Phillip Sami

    Keegan Hipgrave

    Treymain Spry

    Sam Stone

    FIGHTING FOR LIFE

    Dale Copley

    Anthony Don

    Leilani Latu

    Tyrone Roberts
    Titans Proud, Titans Strong.

  9. #39

    Default

    With Matterson joining the eels...Mal has reiterated his want for David Fifita to join the Titans.

    This could be a big tell as to how much pull/influence Mal has.

    Can't wait to see the outcome!

  10. #40
    One Clubman JunctionBlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Upper Coomera
    Posts
    3,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I think the coach most certainly gets the credit. Just as I am reluctant to blame last season on Mal because I firmly believe that Brennan and the decisions that were made before Mal came along were the causes of last season. Mal spent half the season conducting an in depth review (it is frustrating that it was never made public) and then spent the second half finding a new coach and taking on a general manager role - which he was never employed to do originally. It is frustrating that we have no new signings on the horizon and twice as frustrating that we haven’t been able to get rid of any dud signings but I would still rather be in this position than in the past when we bid on every person off contract and paid way too much for them. I’m just saying that I think it is stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water just because results haven’t been immediate.
    I think the players betrayed the coach as much as the coach was incapable. So that puts some blame on the culture. Our incoming coach has gone on record as saying the culture is the issue. As for throwing the baby away with the bath water....the baby has moved interstate and the parents are still on the Gold Coast. Next step will be the club saying we need someone fulltime and there will be a mutual parting of ways.

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Next step will be the club saying we need someone fulltime and there will be a mutual parting of ways.
    He was only ever employed on a part time basis, which is why he came so cheap. I can’t see the club getting rid of him just because he wants to spend more time with his family and he is still filling the obligations of his contract.

  12. #42
    One Clubman JunctionBlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Upper Coomera
    Posts
    3,411

    Default

    Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly said he trusted Meninga to contribute to the club, but admitted contracts could change.

    “He is committed to seeing the club get to where he thinks it can get to,” Kelly said.

    “The original contract was for three years, but like all contracts if they need to change, they need to change. No one is going to be holding people here that don’t want to be here or can’t be here.

    “He’s got enough integrity to say he can’t do the job because of other commitments – he will know when he’s not contributing. I don’t doubt his integrity at all.

    “Mal is maintaining a residence here. He will still be here when he’s required.

    “He’s still fully committed at this point in time.”

    Exert from an article. Guess you read this how you want to read it, half full, half empty.

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly said he trusted Meninga to contribute to the club, but admitted contracts could change.

    “He is committed to seeing the club get to where he thinks it can get to,” Kelly said.

    “The original contract was for three years, but like all contracts if they need to change, they need to change. No one is going to be holding people here that don’t want to be here or can’t be here.

    “He’s got enough integrity to say he can’t do the job because of other commitments – he will know when he’s not contributing. I don’t doubt his integrity at all.

    “Mal is maintaining a residence here. He will still be here when he’s required.

    “He’s still fully committed at this point in time.”

    Exert from an article. Guess you read this how you want to read it, half full, half empty.
    Yep.
    I think the bottom line is that you cannot do the role when you don't live here. I believe that whoever does this job, if it is really needed, that person needs to be in and around the club and players everyday. I think the second paragraph of Darryl's comments say a lot.

  14. #44
    Rep Player gotitans101_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wide Bay QLD
    Posts
    1,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    With Matterson joining the eels...Mal has reiterated his want for David Fifita to join the Titans.

    This could be a big tell as to how much pull/influence Mal has.

    Can't wait to see the outcome!
    Good luck with that happening is all I have to say to that.

  15. #45
    One Clubman JunctionBlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Upper Coomera
    Posts
    3,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Yep.
    I think the bottom line is that you cannot do the role when you don't live here. I believe that whoever does this job, if it is really needed, that person needs to be in and around the club and players everyday. I think the second paragraph of Darryl's comments say a lot.
    IT's the coaches job. Holbrook knows it too.

    “It’s always the culture or the leadership, and that’s obvious.

    “The answer is yes (the culture does need an overhaul) and that’s something we’ll work through.

    “Culture is an everyday thing, you don’t all of a sudden have a good culture or a bad culture, it changes over time.

    “We get to start fresh Monday and lay down some standards and behaviours that we’ll work in with the players over the next few months.”

    It’s a culture defibrillation Holbrook has conducted before.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

ABOUT US

    Established in 2005 as the Gold Coast Titans official Chat Forum, we are now known as the League of Titans Independent Website. A place for fans of the Gold Coast Titans to come and touch base with other diehard fans.

QUICK LINKS

FOLLOW US ON

League of Titans designed and cutomised by Matt Glew