The Gold Coast Titans had a tumultuous 2019 NRL season - and there aren't too many people that are left hurting by their efforts more than experienced hooker Nathan Peats.

The club finished with just four wins this season and sacked coach Garth Brennan midway through the year.

A former NSW Origin representative, Peats was scathing in his review of not only the side's performance, but his own season as an individual - and opened up on Brennan's exit.

"This year has been the first year of my career I haven’t take a positive out of it," he said during a recent interview on The Ice Project podcast.

"I didn’t improve as an individual and my performances weren’t up to scratch and the team’s performances were dreadful.

"The one shining light would be Moe Fotuaika, a 19-year old kid played really well and he is so humble. He reminds me of Manu Ma’u when he first came to Parra, he’s just quiet and puts his head down.

“It obviously didn’t work out as well as they would have liked (with Brennan), and it is hard to make the jump from assistant to head coach."

Peats was in and out of the side in 2019 and will need to impress incoming coach Justin Holbrook if he is to receive first crack at the No.9 jumper next year.

The 29-year old is usually one of the game's larrikins, but admits things have gotten too much recently on Twitter and from the media - including a stunning spray from senior reporter Phil 'Buzz' Rothfield.

“When Garth got flicked I knew they were gonna start attacking the players...I saw these keyboard warriors attacking me," he said.

“You’re never going to find everyone being positive. I don’t even bother writing back, I just laugh now.

“I have a list of people on my phone who I will refuse to talk to. Buzz Rothfield, I cant stand him

“Buzz Rothfield bagged me that many times on NRL 360, writes sh** about me all the time and then I went to Choc’s fight and we’re in the sheds and he wanted to shake my hand.

"I was like I’m not shaking your hand you old fossil, you write sh** and talk sh** bout me all the time and now you want to shake my hand. I know you don’t like me so don’t try and be my mate.

"Then he had the hide to ring the coach and ring the club and went on 360 to defend himself. When a player has a go back at you, cop it on the chin.

"I just find that there are a lot of great journos out there who do a lot of good things for the game and are great for players.

"There are also a lot of people out there making money by writing sh** about players and bagging the game."

It was a tough campaign for Peats and the Titans, but here's hoping things can turn around in 2020.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...r1u8fi5xhf1g79