Default Nathan Peats opens up on 'dreadful' 2019 season

The Gold Coast Titans had a tumultuous 2019 NRL season - and there aren't too many people that are left hurting by their efforts more than experienced hooker Nathan Peats.

The club finished with just four wins this season and sacked coach Garth Brennan midway through the year.

A former NSW Origin representative, Peats was scathing in his review of not only the side's performance, but his own season as an individual - and opened up on Brennan's exit.

"This year has been the first year of my career I haven’t take a positive out of it," he said during a recent interview on The Ice Project podcast.

"I didn’t improve as an individual and my performances weren’t up to scratch and the team’s performances were dreadful.

"The one shining light would be Moe Fotuaika, a 19-year old kid played really well and he is so humble. He reminds me of Manu Ma’u when he first came to Parra, he’s just quiet and puts his head down.

“It obviously didn’t work out as well as they would have liked (with Brennan), and it is hard to make the jump from assistant to head coach."

Peats was in and out of the side in 2019 and will need to impress incoming coach Justin Holbrook if he is to receive first crack at the No.9 jumper next year.

The 29-year old is usually one of the game's larrikins, but admits things have gotten too much recently on Twitter and from the media - including a stunning spray from senior reporter Phil 'Buzz' Rothfield.

“When Garth got flicked I knew they were gonna start attacking the players...I saw these keyboard warriors attacking me," he said.

“You’re never going to find everyone being positive. I don’t even bother writing back, I just laugh now.

“I have a list of people on my phone who I will refuse to talk to. Buzz Rothfield, I cant stand him

“Buzz Rothfield bagged me that many times on NRL 360, writes sh** about me all the time and then I went to Choc’s fight and we’re in the sheds and he wanted to shake my hand.

"I was like I’m not shaking your hand you old fossil, you write sh** and talk sh** bout me all the time and now you want to shake my hand. I know you don’t like me so don’t try and be my mate.

"Then he had the hide to ring the coach and ring the club and went on 360 to defend himself. When a player has a go back at you, cop it on the chin.

"I just find that there are a lot of great journos out there who do a lot of good things for the game and are great for players.

"There are also a lot of people out there making money by writing sh** about players and bagging the game."

It was a tough campaign for Peats and the Titans, but here's hoping things can turn around in 2020.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...r1u8fi5xhf1g79

^^^
    Getting a bit sick of reading these types of comments attributed to Peats. He has said it before yet he hasn't changed.
    Even in the above article he deflects to blaming journos that have given him what is an honest appraisal. A sign to me that he still doesn't get it. He needs to put words in to action and frankly I would be shopping him around. Many clubs have two better hookers than him.

To be fair to Peats he was just talking to one of his best mates on a podcast, he didn't go out trying to create headlines just for the sake of it. I agree that his playing ability really needs to lift, but what I got from the podcast is he is a really honest bloke and he said himself he had a terrible season personally. I don't know why they included the stuff about journo's that was a completely different topic talking about why he doesn't like the media. He had some good stuff to say about the Gold Coast and future of the team. It's not mentioned in these quotes but he also said how the Titans cover a massive region, and that if the NRL get rid of the Titans kids in Ballina, etc won't have a pathway to the NRL and they will be lost to the game. It's actually a really good listen, he clearly gets what its all about

But when asked on The Ice Project podcast whether they can survive, the 28-year old larrikin was strong on his stance about the Titans keeping their spot.

“I definitely do," he said.

“It obviously didn’t work out as well as they would have liked (with Brennan) but it is hard to make the jump from assistant to head coach.

"It’s the best place to live, but the one big thing I said is that the Titans are big on doing stuff in the community. They are probably the best at it. I have a feeling they do that to get fans get the kids.

"(The issue is) if you’re a top 4 side you get good timeslots. When you’re not travelling well, and you’re playing at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon on the Gold Coast, people have got so many options so they wont come and watch us play."

It is a fair assessment from somebody quite clearly in the know in Peats, who joined the club in 2016.

After spending time at the Rabbitohs and Eels, the former NSW Origin representative is experienced enough to know what the issues are at his current club - but it can be fixed.

"I don’t think in the past, there was enough people who were passionate about the club," he said.

"They have good juniors coming through, all these blokes who love the club. I know I have worked hard and I want to retire here. I love Sydney but I have learnt to love it and I hope I can earn another deal here.

"A team can definitely work and it could blow the Gold Coast up because the Suns aren’t going to do anything up there."

All it takes is a bit of luck, some success on the field and the Titans could no doubt become a force within the NRL in years to come.
    Last edited by Titslover; 05-10-19 at 08:35 AM.

The players seem good at throwing their hands in the air and screaming "Woe is me"

Not all of them, to be fair. Some have a real dig...week in, week out.

We need to foster a siege mentality for next year. It's us...the club, the team, the supporters and the GC region vs all comers!

Everyone that pulls on a jersey for game day needs to go full throttle at the opposition. Screw excuses and cop outs!

Nathan...if you want to make an impression...play every week like a winner, in a winning side. Then you can snob Rothfield and Co. Until we can manage that...you'll have to be the one to cop it on the chin I'm afraid.

If the club is good in the community they aren't good at promoting it widely. Like I keep saying, kids don't follow losers.

As for the keyboard warriors. A lot of them are the same people seeking answers for which we are given none and are being asked by the club to stick with them while the players say they have no reason for performing so poorly. If they haven't identified the reason how do they improve?

Peats needs to shut up. Too many end of season articles saying the same stuff and not doing anything about it.

As I said mate, it wasn't an end of season article. He was doing his mate Isaac John a favour by appearing on his podcast, and he answered his questions honestly. What do you want him to do? And by keyboard warriors he was talking about people who would attack him on his wife's instagram, which I can't imagine anyone from this forum would do. By all accounts he's actually an extremely hard worker and a really competitive guy, he just lacks the ability of most hookers these days. I also find it hilarious that someone gets paid to listen to a podcast and then make an article out of it.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    As I said mate, it wasn't an end of season article. He was doing his mate Isaac John a favour by appearing on his podcast, and he answered his questions honestly. What do you want him to do? And by keyboard warriors he was talking about people who would attack him on his wife's instagram, which I can't imagine anyone from this forum would do. By all accounts he's actually an extremely hard worker and a really competitive guy, he just lacks the ability of most hookers these days. I also find it hilarious that someone gets paid to listen to a podcast and then make an article out of it.
    There is way too much of this fake journalism floating around in the game these days. Good on Peats for saying it how it is (especially the part where he went to town on Buzz Rothfield).

Peats' game suffered immensely under Brennan. Before he came he was one of our most consistent performers. With the addition of Rein it seemed to me that he didn't really know what his role was. As I've said on other threads, he needs to work on his passing game but he also needs to be given the number 9 back full time. Towards the end of the season he started kicking from dummy half which he rarely did in the past. He doesn't appear to be a natural kicker of the ball and sprayed it out on the full once or twice but he was identifying the space which is encouraging. I still think that Peats has a bit to offer and is still my preference over Rein.