Gold Coast may have finished with the 2019 wooden spoon after a horror season, but that’s only the start of their woes, according to NRL 360 host Paul Kent.

The Titans finished at the bottom of the ladder with just four wins. They also ended their season with interim coaches in charge following the sacking of Garth Brennan.

St Helens coach Justin Holbrook is on his way in to take over as head coach from 2020, but there are plenty of other things the club needs to fix aside from on-field performance as Kent explained on The Matty Johns Podcast.

“The thing about the Titans is there’s a lot of hot air coming out of the club,” Kent said.

“To me, it’s an indication that they are talking the game to basically try and con everybody that they know what they’re doing, just to fill the void, to fill the conversation, that space there.

“To come out and we’re going to sign these players like Mal said the other day. One of the players he said we’re going to have a crack at is Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad who within hours had extended his deal with Canberra.

“To throw David Fifita into it. We’ll get him from Palm Beach Currumbin, well he actually played for Keebra Park, a local junior.

“They’re talking the game at the moment, the Titans. This is not just Mal, I’m talking the club, they’ve got no idea where they’re going. They’ve got no idea how to fix it so all they’re doing at the moment is ‘stick with us, we’re going to get the best juniors in the country, we’ll put all our effort there and we won’t need to recruit from anywhere else’. Seriously? You’re going to stop other clubs coming into your junior area?

“You what they did the other day to show everyone how well they’re going? They put out a list of all the great kids — 12 years old — that they’ve signed in the area. We’ve got him, him and him. And they put the list out.

“You know what happened? Other clubs printed out the list, gave it to their recruitment boss and said go and pick the best ones out of these. They’ve handed over their IP.

“Don’t use that as a boasting point about how well you’re going.”

Kent reckoned star lock Jai Arrow was more likely to leave the club than stay.

“The thing is, what’s the attraction of playing for the Gold Coast? What’s their selling point?” Kent asked.

“They can give you all that guff about we’re going to win a comp in however many years but there’s no history in the club of any success.

“They’re constantly paying overs. That’s the other thing they’ve got so dramatically wrong there, is the amount of money they’re paying for some players.

“Ash Taylor’s gone. I would be surprised if Ash Taylor plays NRL again. I think Ash Taylor will be sold to England.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...718c59244b0574