Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    I’m not sure if this is the right thread for it and hate to be the one to spread rumours, but “The Winemaker” on Triple M came out today saying that a million dollar player has a severe gambling issue and his club are very concerned about it, and considering terminating his contract. There aren’t many million dollar players in the comp and I heard earlier this year when Taylor took personal leave that he had a gambling issue, so I’m almost certain it’s about him. It’s interesting timing for this to come out since the club has known for half the year, but with Kent also saying he could be off to England it seems like the club is looking to get rid of him. I feel for the bloke if it’s true but it seems like this is a story that we will definitely hear more of, and could be the reason Taylor departs us.
    THis club isn't smart enough to know what our players are doing. It'll probably be Bird or a broncos player that they need to sack to keep signing all their youth.

I’m pretty certain it’s him, I was told from a friend who’s brother plays for the club, and this was when he took personal leave which this would’ve played a big part in. I don’t want to be one of those guys who claims to be in the know but I’d be shocked if this isn’t about Ash and it should come out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I think the truth hurts. What are we basing the talk that we are in a better place for next year? So far Mal has come out and said a bunch of names that obviously were just plucked out of the air. So when we don't sign anyone from that email what the hell does that say for the club?

The email from watts was just as much of a joke. We have failed at what our core business is and that is playing a grade rugby league. To try and fluff it our with all the ancillary stuff is wasted. I'm in the building industry, I can't imagine writing a report to the owners saying good news, we had a few sausage sizzles, donated out time and money to disadvantaged, we trying to raise our public profile through every means possible except the quality of our houses, which, by the way have all fallen down.

As for giving out IP data, well anyone worth anything in the recruitment game would know who is who and where or if they are signed. Not a huge deal but still stupid to hand a list to the opposition.
    Nailed it I reckon JB. While Kent's comments were a bit vitriolic I can't really disagree with any of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for it and hate to be the one to spread rumours, but “The Winemaker” on Triple M came out today saying that a million dollar player has a severe gambling issue and his club are very concerned about it, and considering terminating his contract. There aren’t many million dollar players in the comp and I heard earlier this year when Taylor took personal leave that he had a gambling issue, so I’m almost certain it’s about him. It’s interesting timing for this to come out since the club has known for half the year, but with Kent also saying he could be off to England it seems like the club is looking to get rid of him. I feel for the bloke if it’s true but it seems like this is a story that we will definitely hear more of, and could be the reason Taylor departs us.
    I hope it is not Taylor and if it is I hope he gets the support he needs. However I would be quite happy to see him gone as he takes up a massive amount of salary cap, not up to standard, and has become high maintenance. If we could get some club to subsidise a chunk of his wage it would be a win as far as I'm concerned. However, can you terminate a blokes contract because he has a gambling problem? I wouldn't have thought so. You can't even sack players for under performance which is a major problem with sporting contracts.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 12-09-19 at 07:35 PM.

Immortal

Sorry guys but the comments in relation to junior development are patently wrong.

Is the stuff about releasing a list of 12 year olds wrong Mdrew? Can’t say I remember ever seeing anything like that come out.

And yeah MT I really hope for Ash’s sake that it’s not true as it could really derail his career. Also if this is true the club has known about it for months and I wonder if they’ve given up on standing by him and have decided we need him gone to succeed. I don’t want to see a young bloke go through such a hard time, but getting rid of him would definitely help the salary cap. Great question about terminating the contract, I’m not sure if gambling would violate any of the terms. Perhaps Kent is right about him going to England and the club can use this to help convince him that he needs time away from here.
    Last edited by Titslover; 12-09-19 at 08:11 PM.

Immortal

Flat out wrong mate, players can not sign until 15 anyway although to be fair there are U14 Development squads in place. The Titans obviously know the best U12 plyers on the Gold Coast but they put no pressure at all on them as they are so young. The Titans have a real focus on the individual both on and off the field, other clubs treat junior players like cattle.

Yes I know that I may come across as bias, but I have no child involved, my boy played First XV rugby aagghhh, but the Titans have as good as if not the best set up with the TEDS program but just do not get the acknowledgement they deserve, for that matter nor do the Titans juniors players themselves nor the families who sacrifice so much.

We have a great future and it is just a pity that people like Jamie McCormack do not get the credit they so richly deserve.

On another point about what Kent said, if people believe that recruitment officers from all NRL clubs do not know about the best junior players from essentially any region in Australia and New Zealand they also they also believe in unicorns.

Is the stuff about releasing a list of 12 year olds wrong Mdrew? Can’t say I remember ever seeing anything like that come out.

And yeah MT I really hope for Ash’s sake that it’s not true as it could really derail his career. Also if this is true the club has known about it for months and I wonder if they’ve given up on standing by him and have decided we need him gone to succeed. I don’t want to see a young bloke go through such a hard time, but getting rid of him/terminating his contract would definitely help the club with the extra $1m to spend.
    Last edited by mdrew; 12-09-19 at 08:50 PM.

Hmmm. That could be interesting...

I wonder if the club could get him to go double or nothing on his million for next year? If he gets us to a premiership....he gets 2 million! If he can't...he gets nothing.

lol

As for Kenty and his comments...well, he's an opinionated little rascal. I can still remember him on 360 ages ago, angrily spitting venom about Matt Lodge when the broncos were wanting to sign him. He stated categorically and unequivocally that Lodge had not done any counselling, whatsoever. The next day Lodge spoke about how he'd already completed over a year of counselling in Brisbane...and wanted to stay and continue. When fronted with that, that night on 360...Kent shrugs his shoulders and says...so what?

He makes stuff up on the spot. I'll tell you one thing for sure. When it comes to our juniors...I'd take mdrew's word over Paul Kent's "facts" any and every day of the week!