Default 2019 Post-Season Discussion

Thought it would be good to make a discussion thread so we can dissect and reflect on the absolutely horror season of 2019. Was a year that started with a heap of promise but in the end there were little ups and way too many downs. Think we are glad that the season is over but here's my take:

Season Summaries
    Position - 16th (hello second wooden spoon)
    Wins - 4 (our worst ever)
    Losses - 20 (again our worst)
    Points for - 370 (our second worst season behind 2011)
    Points against - 651 (our worst)

Key Stats
    Most tries - Dale Copley (9)
    Most tackles - Kevin Proctor (773)
    Most points - Mick Gordon (62)
    Most tackle breaks - Brian Kelly (88)
    Most missed tackles - Brian Kelly (95)
    Most errors - Brian Kelly (20)
    Most penalties - Tyrone Peachey (23)
    Most run metres - Jarrod Wallace (2905m)

My Top 3 Players
    1. Mo Fotuaika - possible unpopular opinion but my player of the year. An absolute beast who definitely didn't suffer second year syndrome. Played 21 games and averaged 133m (most games were off the bench too!) and is still only 19. So glad we've re-signed him for a long time.

2. Jai Arrow - close to player of the year but missed a big chunk of the season and Mo was too good. A leader of the pack and hoping he sticks around for the rebuild and rise of the Titans in 2020.

3. Jarrod Wallace - again probably an unpopular opinion but he was one of the few players I could see that was trying his guts out week in and week out. Our highest metre eater with an average of 138m and even finished with the most chargedowns for the whole comp. Also cut down his crucial penalties and errors in 2019.

Favourite moments (tough one )
    1. Phil Sami chasing down The Fox
    2. Beating the Donkeys at Suncorp (seriously is there anything better?)
    3. Beating the Panthers on home soil in round 5 - personal opinion as I was there live
    Honourable mention - Garth Brennan being sacked

So those stats just about speak for themselves and show why season 2019 was definitely one to forget. A few promising moments and beautiful tries but our defence seemed to go backwards this year and our attack was so predictable and boring. Thankfully Brennan has been booted out the door - as nice of a bloke as he was and as much as he helped with our junior pathways, the whispers about shocking things he was doing and the team going backwards had to lead to his demise.

Sorry to ramble on but thought this would be a good thread for everyone to reflect. Cheers to all of the forum contributors for sticking around with the discussions in a tough year. Bring on season 2020 - the start of the Holbrook era

QLD Cup

Nice post BT, summarised nicely. Thankfully it is over now.

Yeah, Wallace really put in during the second half of the season. Jacks is mud. Taylor can get gtfo. That leaves Boyd. The kid has something. Go easy on his mistakes. It's very early and he will get better. Has one of the best passes I've seen. Tough in defence.
    Watkins is muddier than Jacks.
    Brimson can now be given the 1 jumper. Never to play halves again. Some good coaching and mentoring to get him back to his best.

I Don't think Mofo will be an unpopular opinion - i think he was best payer, daylight second and reckon most on here will think the same.

good post mate, thanks for taking the time

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Thought it would be good to make a discussion thread so we can dissect and reflect on the absolutely horror season of 2019. Was a year that started with a heap of promise but in the end there were little ups and way too many downs. Think we are glad that the season is over but here's my take:

Season Summaries
    Position - 16th (hello second wooden spoon)
    Wins - 4 (our worst ever)
    Losses - 20 (again our worst)
    Points for - 370 (our second worst season behind 2011)
    Points against - 651 (our worst)

Key Stats
    Most tries - Dale Copley (9)
    Most tackles - Kevin Proctor (773)
    Most points - Mick Gordon (62)
    Most tackle breaks - Brian Kelly (88)
    Most missed tackles - Brian Kelly (95)
    Most errors - Brian Kelly (20)

Most penalties - Tyrone Peachey (23)
    Most run metres - Jarrod Wallace (2905m)
    :
    Kelly has some key areas that need improving on and they was a lot of noise about Wallace and his penalties but he isn't the worst, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Kelly has some key areas that need improving on and they was a lot of noise about Wallace and his penalties but he isn't the worst, interesting.
    Agreed. Kelly is a strike weapon and probably our go-to player if we are chasing points but he's got a lot of work to do on his defence. That being said the missed tackles would've been increased a bit by the fact that he had some terrible inside defenders and overall awful defensive coaching (if there was any).

Peachye's penalties is not surprising and they are always brainsnaps and just stupid penalties when the game is getting away from us (and he often laughs after them which is worse). That Sharks game in magic round comes to mind for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I Don't think Mofo will be an unpopular opinion - i think he was best payer, daylight second and reckon most on here will think the same.

good post mate, thanks for taking the time
    Cheers DB. Agreed, although I meant unpopular as all these "professional analysts" in the media seem to think Arrow is our best and ONLY good player. Jai is a star but MoFo sneaks under the radar of the media and is a third of the price, and Wallace seems to get criticised no matter what he does.