Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Geez it’s hard to remain calm and unexcited with articles like that. Holbrook seems like such a level headed and down to earth guy and it’s good to hear we are going back to basics (although it’s worrying to hear that they haven’t been doing basic catch and pass drills for a few years might explain our error counts).

Going into 2020 with low expectations but sounds much better under Holbrook already.

Yeh it is hard to get excited, especially after last pre season hype.. the stuff we here about holbrook and his coaching sounds promising but I’m not going to get excited and expect miracles this season.. I just want to see effort and improvement and see some young guys we have heard about given a go to shine!

Inactive User

Beat Canberra away in round 1 and everything is different

Holbrook is taking the right tact. We have the base ingredients for success up here in the mid term.

But I agree, we've heard the pre-season song sheet so often we know the tune.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Just watched that interview with Hurricane Holbrook and liked him a lot, pity he's a cockroach, but you can't have everything. I have realised that as long as the team has a dig and the coach is focused then I don't have too much to whinge about ... except perhaps the goddamned virus.

If I could be granted one wish it would be to see the youth policy adhered to this year. T. Boyd, Farmer, Joliffe, GL, etc are our future. Wouldn't mind an Arrow 'about face' either.
    Last edited by Titanic; 02-03-20 at 11:53 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

QLD Cup

I love the youth policy but also wins come first. Put the best team available on the field and youth will get their chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Just watched that interview with Hurricane Holbrook and liked him a lot, pity he's a cockroach, but you can't have everything. I have realised that as long as the team has a dig and the coach is focused then I don't have too much to whinge about ... except perhaps the goddamned virus.

If I could be granted one wish it would be to see the youth policy adhered to this year. T. Boyd, Farmer, Joliffe, GL, etc are our future. Wouldn't mind an Arrow 'about face' either.
    I was thinking this the other day. What happens if we make the finals and he wants to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    I was thinking this the other day. What happens if we make the finals and he wants to stay?
    Didn’t they close that loophole where now u can’t back out of contracts. Be up to both clubs now in order to do that

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    I say how about Jai and the Mrs have kid #1 or at least be expecting by the end of 2020, we have a good year, Jai realises the error of his ways and asks to be released on compassionate family grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I say how about Jai and the Mrs have kid #1 or at least be expecting by the end of 2020, we have a good year, Jai realises the error of his ways and asks to be released on compassionate family grounds.
    Always thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny86 View Post
    Always thinking outside the box.
    Or inside it depending how you interpret it
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Or inside it depending how you interpret it
    Gold Coast Gold

This just made me laugh hard.

Bulletin’s Big Q&A with Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Holbrook

In an in-depth Q&A with the Bulletin, new Titans coach Justin Holbrook opened up about the task ahead, getting the best out of his troops, his own career and more.

|https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

He made his name as an NRL journeyman more than 20 years ago but Justin Holbrook has unfinished business this season.

The new Gold Coast Titans coach opened up about the task ahead, his toughest challenges, his own career and more in this week’s Big Q&A.
    Q. How have you found the first few months in the job - has it been what you expected?

A. It’s probably what I was expecting once I got in there. We’ve got great facilities, great staff and the playing group have been terrific through the pre-season so everything has been great. I’m looking forward to the season starting. The first time I spoke to Mal (Meninga, performance chief) I asked a lot of questions but Mal answered them all and I got really excited about the opportunity and where the club is going. It’s great to be a part of that.

Q. What were your first impressions of the club when you arrived from St Helens?

A. I guess just coming from England, all the facilities we’ve got is great. We’ve got everything in the one location, which is very handy. That was very pleasing and once the players came in, they were great. They were well aware they didn’t have a good year last year and we’ve got the opportunity to do something about it so they’ve been great at training and are ready to go.

Q. You’ve arrived with the club at arguably its lowest point. When can fans expect some results?

A. Straight away. We’ve been training now for four-and-a-half months and the guys have improved all along. All 16 teams have got great players and we’re no different. If we play good enough we can win. I’ve been coaching a long time now so myself and everyone is looking forward to the season starting. We’re confident we’re in a good place and we’ve just got to get out and get it done now.

Q. Can you see any similarities between the Titans and when you first joined St Helens?

A. Similar to when I came in at St Helens, they were in a bit of a tough spot. But both times, here and over there, the players wanted to do something about it. They didn’t want to keep going the way they were going. The players have been fantastic. We’ve implemented changes right through everything we do but it’s for a reason and that’s to give ourselves the best chance of playing well and winning. They’ve been great with that and embraced it.

Q. Was it a difficult decision to leave St Helens after such amazing success there?

A. Yes, I really enjoyed it over there. We were good enough to win every home game last year so that’s pretty special for the fans. You look back and we had the best season in the history of the game over there - something like 124 years - so that’s something as a club we were proud of. And as a playing group and staff because it’s hard to do. I enjoyed it but the longer I stayed the harder it would’ve been to leave. It was great timing for the opportunity here.

Q. It finally seems like all the puzzle pieces are in place ... except on-field. Do you sense that?

A. Definitely, and I honestly mean that. The front office (is stable), we’ve got great guys at the club, great office staff. We’ve had great coaching staff come in (in) Jimmy Dymock, Jimmy Lenihan, Michael Gordon. We’ve got all the facilities we need so it’s just now getting success with our first-grade side and hopefully the community buy into that and we’re all in it together.

Q. You’ve inherited a roster at the Titans - is that something you’ll be looking to change?

A. The roster is always changing. The recruitment guys are looking at players that are at other clubs so that never stops during the year. (But) I’m happy with the playing squad. When we talk about similarities to St Helens, when I first got there everyone was telling me to get rid of the players and I said ‘well let’s give them a chance first’ and I think we only made one change the next year. So I’ve got no issues with the squad at all, I think we’ve got a good squad. My job is just to get on and coach them.

Q. Would you like to see the club sign more local talent?

A. Definitely. It was only about 18 months ago that we got a proper pathways program in place so it was hard to keep (local players). The Gold Coast is a great nursery for rugby league so you’ve got clubs all over the NRL now trying to set up camp in the Gold Coast region. That’s definitely a priority for us and that’s what we’ll work towards.

Q. How do you get the best out of guys like Bryce Cartwright & Tyrone Peachey?

A. I think what we’ve done so far is make sure they training consistently. If you get big fluctuations in the way you play, you tend to train that way. You are a reflection of how you train so our biggest area is we want to be consistent every session and they’ve done that. It’s only early signs but those two guys, in the Nines and the Brisbane trial, I thought were both fantastic. All indications from what we’ve seen as coaching staff, they’ve delivered at training every session. I’m really confident in those two, they’re such great natural footy players and I want them to express themselves. I don’t want to cap what they’re good at. They can really put fear into opposition because of how good they are as footy players so I just want them to keep working hard and to back themselves.

Q. Do you give players like that a bit more free reign to play what they see?

A. As long as it’s within reason. While it might look like high-risk to people, those two guys have been doing that their whole footy careers. I don’t want to cap it but as I said, it’s got to be within reason. It can’t be careless but I definitely want them to back themselves. I think they both did some classy things against Brisbane that not a lot of other players can do and that’s what I want to encourage from them, as long as it’s the right time and right place for it in the game.

Q. What did you make of your own playing career? Were you satisfied?

A. I only played a handful of first grade games so I’m definitely disappointed with that but when I look back now that I’m a lot older, I reckon it definitely helped me as a coach. I reckon if I knuckled down and did everything I wanted to as a player I wouldn’t have ended up in coaching so I guess being that fringe player has kept me driven. I love the game and I fell short as a player so I guess it’s driven me to make a difference as a coach and that’s what I’m loving now. I’m probably more suited to doing that.

Q. At what point did you realise that you wanted to become a coach?

A. Probably not until later years. Being a halfback you’re always an organiser on the field and then a club, Dapto, just south of Sydney in the semi-professional Illawarra league, asked me to captain-coach and that’s how I started. That’s how I found out I really loved it. I loved just bringing the boys in and collectively playing as a team, and then winning a comp and seeing guys improve, I thought ‘geez, I’m really getting a good buzz out of this’. It snowballed from there and then didn’t play anymore and just coached only and just loved it. I enjoy seeing guys play good.

Q. What are the memories that stand out from your playing career?

A. I played a lot of reserve grade so I only played a handful of games but I enjoyed it. I didn’t realise until a few years ago that I played in first Anzac Day clash between the Roosters and Dragons back in 2002. I didn’t know at the time, I just turned up and played and didn’t realise until about three years ago that that was the first year it was on. We had a win and I went alright that day so that was a rare highlight. I just loved playing. I used to enjoy playing at Newcastle, the reserve grade would play before first grade and I’d enjoy running around, having a shower and then watching the good halfback play, Andrew Johns. I didn’t mind that, they were great guys up there.

Q. Did you have any favourite players growing up or even when you made it to first grade?

A. I was a Bulldogs junior so I loved watching the Bulldogs in the 80s and 90s, so Terry Lamb was always great to watch. But as I got older, Andrew Johns is the best player I’ve seen and I got to train against him a lot at Newcastle and used to enjoy watching him play. The way he played the game, he could do anything that was required to win. In terms of Origin, Wally Lewis was always my favourite playing growing up, even though I was a New South Welshman. I just loved how Wally would carry the Queensland team forward.

JUSTIN HOLBROOK FACT FILE

NRL games: 17

Playing position: halfback

Clubs: Newcastle (1999-2000), Penrith (2001), Sydney Roosters (2002)

Coaching career:

■ Spent time at Canterbury, St George-Illawarra and Parramatta

■ Former assistant at Sydney Roosters

■ Junior Kangaroos coach 2015-17

■ Steered St Helens to 2019 Super League premiership

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Video from Holbrook being on the Sunday Footy Show.