Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Mal already stated he could not take over any coaching role as it would of breached his contract with the kangaroos. The national coach cannot hold another coaching position.

He should have been blasted for letting max king go, absolute idiotic move
    That was my understanding of the Mal coaching issue as well. It would not have made a lick of difference if he took over the whistle and clip board anyway. We were shot for confidence by then. I doubt very much that Mal wasn't giving any input and advice behind the scenes (as most inner circle people do at clubs, that's why they're there) but we...as a unit were too far gone.

Although I'm happy for Max, I know it is going to piss me off for years to come that we made that stupid move!
    Last edited by Menoitios; 26-09-19 at 08:28 AM.

Who else is playing finals that used to play for us. I've got Keary, Rapana, King, Roberts (meh), Hughes.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Who else is playing finals that used to play for us. I've got Keary, Rapana, King, Roberts (meh), Hughes.
    Sezer?

They are the only ones I can think of....Maybe Taia and Dom in the SL as well.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Read this morning that St Helens are off to Old Trafford defeating Wigan 40-10.

So we are all St Helen's fans this weekend.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Read this morning that St Helens are off to Old Trafford defeating Wigan 40-10.
    Watched the game. If only our forwards had the same toughness as theirs. Ours are a bunch of pea-hearts in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Sounds like he walked into a club much like ours and made it his own. Good to see some passion in the coaches box too.

Sounds like he walked into a club much like ours and made it his own. Good to see some passion in the coaches box too.
    Agree....The coaching staff and the players all spoke highly of him...

Great watch Holbrook seems to be well respected and not frightened to make the tough calls, liked how one of the players said he stripped it back and done the simple things that’s exactly what the titans need to do

So with Jimmy Lenihan coming on board I presume that Luke Burt is no longer part of the coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    So with Jimmy Lenihan coming on board I presume that Luke Burt is no longer part of the coaching staff
    Not sure mate. We had four this year. Might replace Luke Philips.

Love the signing of Lenihan.

A long term assistant with success as NRL players and Assistant coach in Dymock, and a local success story with a feeder club who get his chance also shows a pathway for coaches to come to Burleigh and work into titans system.

Also love that Holbrook contacted him and brought him on board. Shows insight into his mental approach to using local talent.

Humility and Heroics as Holbrook Is Named Super League Coach of the Year.

A humble Justin Holbrook has deflected praise onto his players, St Helens coaching staff and his coaching rivals after being crowned as the English Super League’s Coach of the Year.

The Titans 2020 coach will be looking to sign off on his English stint in the best way possible this weekend in the Super League grand final, with St Helens almost unbackable favourites against the underdog Salford Red Devils at Old Trafford.

Win or lose in the grand final, it has been a remarkable coaching performance from Holbrook in 2019, with St Helens finishing the regular season on 50 competition eight wins clear of second-placed Wigan.

Before receiving his Coach of the Year award at Super League’s Man of Steel presentation night, a stirring video was presented to the audience with tributes to Holbrook from St Helens players and staff talking about the impact he had had on the club since taking over in 2018.

English Test prop Alex Walmsley said Holbrook had reunited a St Helens club that had become “a toxic environment”.

“There was such a separation between the fans and the club,” Walmsley said of the period before Holbrook’s arrival. “It was quite a toxic environment to be fair.

“Justin came in there, and he what he did it reunited us all – the whole community. He made it a place where everyone wanted to come again, and be a part of.

“He has improved us all as players, but I would like to think he has made us better people as well.”

In a preview of what Titans fans can expect from their new coach next season, Holbrook said accountability and respect were the foundations of his coaching success.

“The standards that we set – as staff, for myself, to the playing group as well – we are all in this together,” Holbrook said. “I make that clear. And no one is above anyone else. I will have as much respect for the kit man or whoever because we are all important pieces in this puzzle.

“I just think I want to be remembered as someone who has come in and tried his absolute best. I am proud of that and I am happy with it. If we are god enough to win, great. If we’re not, I’m still the same person who has tried his best.”

After accepting his award, Holbrook said he would leave Super League for the Titans and the NRL content with what he had achieved while at the helm of St Helens.

“I have said this a number of times, but the minute I got here I’ve loved it,” he said.

“The first game for myself was Magic Weekend, so I got lucky straight away. It was a fantastic event.

“My first home game was Wigan – against our biggest rivals. Fast forward, and my last home game was against Wigan too.

“I have loved the competition, everyone involved with it, and obviously all the other great coaches.

“For myself to edge out all those coaches (as Coach of the Year), it is an honour, but one that I have to thank the rest of my staff, and in particular the players.

“For us to finish 16 points clear of second spot, that is something that as a group we should be really proud of. It is not easy to do.

“To play well every single week is a credit to them, and this award will be shared with the players.”

Holbrook will arrive on the Gold Coast at the end of October in preparation for the start of pre-season training with the Titans, which begins on November 4.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/...h-of-the-year/

- - - Updated - - -

Lenihan Excited to Join Holbrook At Titans

A simple text message after training with the Burleigh Bears was the start of a conversation that led to Jimmy Lenihan today being announced as the new Assistant Coach at the Gold Coast Titans.

Lenihan made his first appearance as a Titan today at the Club’s High Performance Centre at Parkwood, fresh off a successful season with Burleigh that netted the Bears the Intrust Super Cup premiership, and a heart-breaking loss to Newtown in the State Championship in Sydney.

After a successful tenure at Burleigh that delivered two premierships and a preliminary final in the past four years, Lenihan said he jumped at the opportunity to join incoming Head Coach Justin Holbrook and Senior Assistant Coach Jim Dymock on the new-look coaching staff for 2020.

The 46-year-old revealed he received a text from Holbrook only a few weeks ago, beginning a conversation that convinced the new Head Coach Lenihan had what he was looking for to help rebuild the Titans.

“I got a text from Justin one night at training and then I organised a phone call,” Lenihan said.

“We had a few calls over the next few days, and it all got done pretty quickly to be honest.

“It was quite exciting to talk to Justin. He’s having a great year in the Super League and has a Grand Final coming up this weekend, so to come in underneath him, learn off him and work with Jimmy (Dymock) as well will be good.”

Not just a Gold Coast local and Burleigh coach, Lenihan is also a former Gold Coast player, having turned out for the Gold Coast Seagulls in the ARL competition in 1995.

The chance to work in the NRL in his home town is exciting for Lenihan, but also reinforces the Titans’ aim of using the best talent produced on the Gold Coast to drive the Club’s future success.

“Yeah it’s really exciting,” Lenihan said. “To take the step up and get into a full-time system is something I’ve been wanting to do for a while and to do it here on the Gold Coast is great.

“For the Titans to look from within was great. To be part of an NRL club here on the Gold Coast is really exciting.”

Lenihan spent the back-half of the 2019 season working with the Titans as the Club tried to arrest a disappointing season. While he is yet to meet Holbrook personally, knowing he had the support of key people within the organisation made the decision to join the Titans even easier.

“I think (Titans Head of Performance and Culture) Mal (Meninga) might have had a bit of input there,” Lenihan said. “To have the ability to come in here and have the opportunity to learn a bit more was good.

“To have those conversations with Justin gives you a bit of confidence, so it’s exciting what is ahead.

“There is positive change at the club, and there is certainly a lot of improvement in us.”

And despite being a relative “rookie” on the NRL coaching scene, Lenihan won’t have any problems making his opinions heard – literally.

“It’s only new to the people here,” Lenihan said of his trademark booming voice at Burleigh training.

“The people at Burleigh are well aware of it. Half the time I don’t even know I’m yelling.

“I might have to tone it down a bit at the start.”

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/10/08/lenihan-excited-to-join-holbrook-at-titans-after-the-joy-of-text/