Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

I have almost zero faith in the idea of employing another coach with ZERO NRL experience, fly him to the other side of the world, without his chosen team of staff, expect him to set up his family in a foreign land and hit the ground running, to try and turn this rabble around, bring the fans back, attract new sponsors and any/every other thing that is required over the next 3-4 years, all based on the fact he is a pretty good coach in English Super League.
    I'm pretty sure the last guy had a pretty good record outside of the actual NRL too.
    This is the last role of the dice for this club and I would say this is probably the biggest outright gamble they have made since the Hayne fiasco.
    I hope I am wrong, but if this doesn't work I doubt the Titans have another chance to rebuild again.

Rep Player

Foreign land? Holbrook is Australian. NRL head coaching experience isn't the be all and end all either. The likes of Trent Robinson and Michael Maguire prove that. Then you've got the likes of Jason Taylor and Steve Price who started out in the NRL and struggled. "The last guy", Garth Brennan, had no head coaching experience at all. He was a career reserve grade coach and was clearly out of his depth in the NRL. Don't underestimate the value of the Super League as a proving ground for young coaches. The level of competition may not be quite the same as the NRL but the head coach still has to manage the roster and motivate the players. These skills are invaluable in the NRL.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I have almost zero faith in the idea of employing another coach with ZERO NRL experience, fly him to the other side of the world, without his chosen team of staff, expect him to set up his family in a foreign land and hit the ground running, to try and turn this rabble around, bring the fans back, attract new sponsors and any/every other thing that is required over the next 3-4 years, all based on the fact he is a pretty good coach in English Super League.
    I'm pretty sure the last guy had a pretty good record outside of the actual NRL too.
    This is the last role of the dice for this club and I would say this is probably the biggest outright gamble they have made since the Hayne fiasco.
    I hope I am wrong, but if this doesn't work I doubt the Titans have another chance to rebuild again.
    When Holbrook has either succeeded or failed the Leagues Club will be open, we will have more juniors coming through and the population here will have increased some more.
    So long as we don’t give in to the GC haters from Sydney/Brisbane with their own agendas we can and will take hits and keep coming back from them.

OK, fair enough, he is Australian, so hopefully he and his family will settle in quickly, and clearly I don't know anything about him other than he played here and now coaches over there. Agreed he has turned St Helens around, but my understanding is he is coming alone as far as I know, none of his staff, so he inherits the current crop already here. What I am saying is it sounds like a lot of risk based on a record that is not a true indicator of NRL coaching, and it sounds a lot like deja vu. I hope I am wrong.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    OK, fair enough, he is Australian, so hopefully he and his family will settle in quickly, and clearly I don't know anything about him other than he played here and now coaches over there. Agreed he has turned St Helens around, but my understanding is he is coming alone as far as I know, none of his staff, so he inherits the current crop already here. What I am saying is it sounds like a lot of risk based on a record that is not a true indicator of NRL coaching, and it sounds a lot like deja vu. I hope I am wrong.
    What happens in coming weeks once our season thankfully ends will be far more important than what’s happened in the weeks since Brennan was punted

Junior

Can someone post the article from Mat Rogers from the bulletin??

https://omny.fm/shows/sportsday-qld/...on-sportsday-s

Really good chat with CEO Steve Mitchell by Scott Sattler which covers our junior pathways, Justin Holbrook, Jai Arrow, the squad (says a few tough conversations have to be had soon with contracted players), Ash Taylor and more. A positive chat but needs to be turned into actions from next year onwards.

Good interview, raised my hopes a bit one concerning thing that Steve mentioned was their will be no changes in football staff he did mention though high performance staff so I presume also luke Burt will be staying on if that’s the case

Quote Originally Posted by SCoast Titan View Post
    Can someone post the article from Mat Rogers from the bulletin??
    Mat Rogers says door may be closed on Titans return but believes Justin Holbrook can lead revival
    Brent O’Neill, Gold Coast Bulletin
    September 4, 2019 12:00am
    Subscriber only
    TITANS great Mat Rogers concedes the door may have closed on a fairytale return to the club but believes incoming coach Justin Holbrook can restore the Gold Coast’s battered pride.

A foundation player with the Titans in 2007, Rogers has watched from afar this season as the club has battled on and off-field turmoil that has left them bound for a second wooden spoon.

Having served as backs coach in 2013 after ending his five-season, 77-game playing stint two years earlier, Rogers in May outlined to the Bulletin his desire to help the haul the club out of the mire.

The 43-year-old has since held a meeting with Gold Coast chairman Dennis Watt to formalise that proposal, but believes his criticism of players and officials in the past may put paid to those plans.

“I had a meeting with Dennis and put my cards on the table. I love the Titans and I just want to see them succeed,” the dual international said.

“If I can help out in any way, I want to do it (but) there might be a bit too much water under the bridge now. I might’ve hurt too many people’s feelings.”

However, with incoming coach Justin Holbrook charged with overseeing a Gold Coast revival in 2020, Rogers is confident the club is now on the right path.

Signed by the Titans in July following the sacking of Garth Brennan, Holbrook has transformed English club St Helens into a Super League force this season following time as an assistant at Canterbury, St George-Illawarra and the Roosters.

“From what I understand, he’s a great thinker of the game and a great leader of men and deserves a certain level of respect and effort,” Rogers said of Holbrook, who will join the Titans later this year.

“I think a little bit of that has been lacking through the year. That’s not a talent thing, that’s an effort thing.

“I’m sure he will turn that stuff around and now it’s about putting the professionalism in the right places and (the players) can start to feed off each other’s enthusiasm for a fresh start.

“The players are all playing for their spots now. Hopefully they can start to improve from here.”

End Article

I don't trust that his intentions are good rather than him making a lot of noise to get a job on the Gold Coast. Didn't he once say he something about being a Sharks player first (terrible misquote) but basically I remember his allegiance being with the sharks.

Might be a case of some not being able to handle the truth, no matter how brutal it may have been delivered, JB.

I'd tend to think Mat would be a straight shooter, and it'd be hard going questioning his work ethic. Probably the reality check some at the club may need.

Sorry to say, Steve Mitchell lost me when he started to dribble on about his stint at the Cowboy's and how the community, etc.. didn't get behind the club, like they do down on the Coast. If that's what he seriously believes, it shows he didn't engage/embrace the footy mad community of NQ like he probably should have. It just raises more questions for mine.

So Holbrook will have the current support staff as his team. No changes other than possibly one new assistant coach. Interesting as most feel that the strength and conditioning isn’t where it needed to be this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    So Holbrook will have the current support staff as his team. No changes other than possibly one new assistant coach. Interesting as most feel that the strength and conditioning isn’t where it needed to be this year.
    very concerning with his statement on that

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    very concerning with his statement on that
    It's not to say that Mal won't give them the boot if a better alternative comes up. His comments were more just about the club choosing support staff and not allowing a new coach to come in and dictate terms about who he'll work with.

Inactive User

So Burt who was hand picked by Brennan and has nothing to do with us stays on.
    That’s crap.
    I think I can cope with Ferris having one more chance. If he’s a professional he will have done a lot of soul searching about why Manly improved and we went backwards both exponentially under him and be putting together a new and different program and ethos to ensure we are at and above NRL standards.