Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

I saw some where on FB that there are training times that are not advertised. I’ll see if I can remember who said it and post on here.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Seriously the previous tweets were wierding me out. I think Holbrook will do well. Apart from Henry he is really the only other coach that has had previous coaching experience of top grade teams.

I attended the 1.00pm training session today and it entailed mainly ball work. AT looked in good shape and had a smile on his face, Arrow and Brimson were there but not proctor. Tyrone Roberts was there but didn’t work with the main squad. Young Toby Sexton seemed to fit in well...has a lot of confidence. Dark looked lean and fit and Farmer looked quick and fit.Latu even went well but in saying that, it was not a particularly hard hit out. I think the pain is yet to come

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    I attended the 1.00pm training session today and it entailed mainly ball work. AT looked in good shape and had a smile on his face, Arrow and Brimson were there but not proctor. Tyrone Roberts was there but didn’t work with the main squad. Young Toby Sexton seemed to fit in well...has a lot of confidence. Dark looked lean and fit and Farmer looked quick and fit.Latu even went well but in saying that, it was not a particularly hard hit out. I think the pain is yet to come
    Thanks Firetruck! I'd say you're right about the pain being on its way.

In all seriousness...JH has some pretty good puzzle pieces to put together. If he can resurrect a fit and aggressive James, Peachey back to the form that got him an origin jersey, Ash back to his best...etc, etc.

I think the pieces are there if JH and his new assistant coaching team can put them together. I also think bringing big Lenny onboard was a brilliant move.

Can't wait to see young Farmer get a run. I think he'll be another immediate fan favourite!

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post

Can't wait to see young Farmer get a run. I think he'll be another immediate fan favourite!
    Farmer is one impressive individual. Great long, strong physique for a running second row and he is quick on his feet. Picking him for a big year

I just screen shoted this and sent it to darius

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny86 View Post
    I just screen shoted this and sent it to darius
    Did you hear anything back?

- - - Updated - - -

Holbrook puts Titans on notice at start of pre-season training. ( Please don't read, MT. It'll only bring you down...further. )

Incoming Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Holbrook has delivered a message to the players on day one of pre-season training that no spot is guaranteed under his watch.

Holbrook met his new squad on Monday morning before speaking to players individually with injured Titans skipper Ryan James describing him as a "down-to-earth bloke who knows his footy" following their first encounter.

Where each player stands in Holbrook's plans for 2020 is sure to be at the top of the agenda.

"He said in the meeting nothing is guaranteed, you've got to go out and prove it," James said.

"It gives everyone hope they can be there round one. He was asking what we wanted to do and work on. He'll talk more [about that] in-depth later in the pre-season.

"It's one of those things – knowing your players and trying to get the best out of everyone. That's the hard thing about footy, knowing what makes people drive.

"That's what Justin is going to have to do over the next month or two."

The Titans' woes in 2019 were well publicised with star halfback Ash Taylor's leave of absence in June compounded by coach Garth Brennan's sacking five weeks later.

Add a winning record of just four wins for the season and it was a virtual nightmare for the bottom-placed club.

James, who ruptured his ACL in April, was a spectator to it all and had little control over the team's results.

He's expected to return to the field this week six months after knee surgery to join the squad for skills sessions.

"It's good to have a fresh start and clean slate," James said.

"We know what we did last season and where we finished, the only people who can change that is us.

"A lot of the blame has been on everyone else but it's the players who go out and perform every week that win or lose games.

"Winning games and playing in the NRL should be enough [motivation]."

Holbrook's biggest on-field mission appears to be a decision on Taylor, while two of the club's local juniors – Jai Arrow and AJ Brimson – have rival clubs circling for their signature with the pair off contract after 2020.

The Titans have appointed recently retired fullback Michael Gordon to work with the outside backs next season, particularly the development of Brimson.

"He's here to help players like AJ and transitional players," James said.

"For someone to play 250 games the way he did, he must have done something right so the club has gone out for what they want. It's great to see the club look to him and invest in him in the future."

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/11/05/holbrook-puts-titans-on-notice-at-start-of-pre-season-training/

I sent him a screen shot with message saying you have some fans already. He replied wicked I hope I don’t disappoint them

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny86 View Post
    I sent him a screen shot with message saying you have some fans already. He replied wicked I hope I don’t disappoint them
    Well done, mate!

That's awesome!

Glad to see people getting down to training. I think it is an interesting thing to do that can open up some insight. But also helps build club culture. I've actually never been to a Titans training session. Would love to when I get back home during the season in July/August and I hope some of you are around too so we can catch up.

BTW The Greek Mythological themes crack me up.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD;
    BTW The Greek Mythological themes crack me up.
    For Hong Kong protesters like you this is more appropriate:
    Confucius say, “woman who fly plane upside down likely to have crack-up.”
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    For Hong Kong protesters like you this is more appropriate:
    Confucius say, “woman who fly plane upside down likely to have crack-up.”
    For those playing at home, Titanic is the same in real life.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    For those playing at home, Titanic is the same in real life.
    Go and get a job
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Can someone please post the subscribe article from the CM about Holbrook

Justin Holbrook has taken the Gold Coast Titans back to school in an attempt to turn the NRL’s wooden spooners into a premiership powerhouse.
    The Sunday Mail has delved deep into Holbrook’s overhaul of the Titans, discovering the coaching principles the NRL’s newest mentor has implemented after taking on the toughest job in the game.
    The Titans slumped to a second wooden spoon in 2019, winning only four games as coach Garth Brennan was sacked and replaced by Holbrook.
    A former Knights, Panthers and Roosters player, Holbrook guided St Helens to a comprehensive premiership victory in the Super League this year and has brought his clear approach to a club desperately needing guidance.
    Having only signed a two-year deal, Holbrook knows he must make an immediate impact at the Titans and is ready for the furnace awaiting him in 2020.
    “As a coach it’s your job to make improvements immediately,” he said.
    “I’m honestly not worried about (only having a two-year contract). I’ve coached a long time and love coaching. This is another chance to do it.
    “It’s a great opportunity to do a good job here. It’s about stripping everything back, getting the basics right, enjoying what we do and seeing where we can get to.
    “When you have a year as bad as they did there are a number of things you’ve got to change. We’ll start at the start and keep moving forward.”
    A father of four boys, Holbrook arrived at the Titans within weeks of guiding St Helens to a dominant premiership season where they finished 16 points clear of their nearest rivals.
    Holbrook, 43, turned St Helens around by going back to basics and urging his players to rediscover their love of rugby league.
    He has implemented a similar approach at the Titans.
    When the team embarked on a four-day camp at Coffs Harbour last week, there was no army-style floggings, torture tests or sleep deprivation.
    The pre-season has focused heavily on football-specific training and the players are thriving.
    “He’s brought such a good energy,” Titans forward Bryce Cartwright said.
    Bryce Cartwright and the Titans are thriving under their new coach.
    “We’ve practised a lot of things we hadn’t in the last couple of years – basic catch-pass and those sorts of things.
    “He’s made training really exciting. He’s kept everything really positive. He hasn’t yelled at us and whenever someone blows up at training he tells us to relax.
    “He wants everything to be positive and there is a lot of encouragement. I haven’t seen him angry yet. He’s been pretty calm but that’s easy at this time of the year.”
    The core skills of rugby league is something that is regularly overlooked by coaches desperate to be pioneers and attacking experts.
    Seven-time premiership winning coach Wayne Bennett still guides his teams through at least one core skills session a week during the season.
    The super successful Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters are among the most fluent teams in the game when it comes to executing the simple things.
    “It is overlooked – no one really practises the fundamentals anymore,” Titans hooker Mitch Rein said.
    “It’s the most important part of our game. Everyone in the team needs to be able to pass and catch.
    “We’ve had a huge emphasis on that.
    “Every coach has got their own philosophies. We’ve had a real focus on getting everything right before we move on to the next thing.
    “We’ve gone back to all the core basic skills and getting them up to speed. The same with our defensive structures. We’re doing it all at walking pace and then ramping it up.
    “Justin has brought a whole new approach. He’s been a breath of fresh air for all of us. Everyone is happy and enjoying it.”
    Having canvassed several players and figures within the Titans, The Sunday Mail has discovered Holbrook’s early impact has been well received.
    The players have responded to his calm demeanour, relatable character and fundamental approach to the game.
    Of course, a ball has not been kicked in anger and every team is equal on the 2020 ladder.
    Brennan enjoyed a honeymoon period, earning a contract extension after his first season, before his coaching career imploded only months later.
    He may be losing arguably his best player in South Sydney-bound forward Jai Arrow, but Holbrook has always been someone to find answers to problems.
    When his Panthers teammates were complaining about the lack of steak and seafood restaurants in the town during the early 2000s, Holbrook decided to open his own.
    He worked as a soft-drink salesman while coaching in the lower grades before working his way through the Dragons, Eels and Roosters on his way to St Helens.
    Holbrook has arrived on the Gold Coast with a plan and is ready to back himself.
    The Titans have sacked coaches John Cartwright (2014), Neil Henry (2017) and Brennan (2019) in their short, colourful history, but a philosophical Holbrook is too focused to worry about his future.
    “I’m not nervous, I’m excited about coaching here,” he said.
    “I’ve been coaching for about 14 years now and loved every minute along the way.
    “I’m the third coach here in a couple of years, so even if I signed for five years it doesn’t mean I’ll be here in five years.
    “I’m OK with that, I’m fine with that. I’ll crack on with coaching.”