Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default New Coach Official: New era begins as Titans lock in Justin Holbrook

New era begins as Titans lock in Justin Holbrook as Garth Brennan’s successor
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    5 minutes ago

Justin Holbrook’s signing with the Gold Coast is complete with the Titans brokering a two-year deal with the St Helens mentor.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Holbrook has signed with the Titans until the end of 2022 with provisions in his contract for a more lucrative upgrade if he can haul the embattled Gold Coast out of the NRL cellar and into the finals.

Titans powerbrokers have been tight-lipped about the appointment with CEO Steve Mitchell refusing to confirm whether Holbrook was Garth Brennan’s successor at Parkwood.

But the deal is done, with Titans co-owners Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle presiding over a board meeting on Wednesday to rubber-stamp Holbrook’s impending arrival at the Titans.

The Titans are expected to formally announce Holbrook’s signing over the next 24 hours.

While Holbrook was off-contract at season’s end, ostensibly making him a free agent, the transfer from St Helens to the Titans will be seamless with Saints officials working with Gold Coast hierarchy over the timing of the announcement.

Holbrook has won a staggering 62 of 78 games at St Helens coach and hopes to frank his success in Super League with a Challenge Cup final victory over Warrington on August 24.

Should ladder-leaders St Helens qualify for the Super League grand final, Holbrook’s commitments in the UK won’t cease until October 13, with the Titans hoping to have the 43-year-old on board in early November to launch their pre-season.

Holbrook’s two-year deal is a sign the Titans are being prudent with the duration of his employment, but there is a scope for a longer-term commitment if the former NRL playmaker can bring swift success to the Gold Coast.

Former Cowboys premiership-winning fullback Lachlan Coote, now at St Helens, believes Holbrook will be a sensation in the NRL and has no doubt he can handle the media scrutiny.

“Justin is the greatest coach I’ve had,” Coote said from the UK.

“I’ve been lucky in my career to work with some outstanding coaches but Justin is on another level.

“I’ve spoken to some of the St Helens boys who have been here for 10 years. They’ve had a number of coaches and they say Justin is the best they’ve had, so that’s an indication of how popular he is.”

“The big thing for me is Justin’s honesty and integrity with the players.

“It’s a small world in rugby league and coaches get a reputation pretty quickly if they aren’t honest with players.

“Justin is a great communicator and he respect you as an individual, he cares about your welfare and doesn’t try to make you something you’re not.

“There’s certainly less pressure here on coaches because the Premier League is massive and gets all the media attention, but Justin has the temperament to handle the NRL.

“He would be great for the Titans. I have no doubt he will succeed one day as an NRL coach.”

Titans culture-and-performance chief Mal Meninga has come under fire for not interviewing more candidates but Mitchell lauded his due diligence in securing Holbrook.

“Mal has been so influential in the game for so long,” Mitchell said.

“He’s worked across all levels of the game so his insight and relationship network has been great.

“It doesn’t hurt to have Mal Meninga as part of the process.”

Thought it was about time to forget about that "GB" guy and make a new thread for the new coach. Welcome Justin Holbrook!

Welcome to the club. Hope it's a 2+2 contract. Blokes got his work cut out for him and the off season needs to be on the phones offloading all this deadwood.

Inactive User

I’m holding off until there’s an official announcement

Jarrod Wallace says Titans are playing for their contracts under new coach Justin Holbrook
    Stuck dead at the bottom of the ladder and preparing to face the reigning premiers, you could be forgiven for thinking the Titans are ready to give up. But not when their NRL contracts are on the line.

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    Subscriber only
    |
    July 31, 2019 3:54pm

Jarrod Wallace is motivated to prove a point to incoming Titans coach Justin Holbrook with the Maroons prop admitting it’s time for Gold Coast stars to perform or perish.

Stung by last week’s 34-12 derby thrashing by the Broncos, the Titans are languishing in outright last ahead of a daunting round 20 road trip to face defending premiers the Roosters at the SCG this Sunday.

The Titans have six players off-contract at season’s end and a further 14 next year, including key squad members Jai Arrow, AJ Brimson, Ryan James, Nathan Peats, Kevin Proctor, Tyrone Roberts and Phillip Sami.

Wallace is contracted until the end of 2022, but admits he cannot afford to be complacent as Holbrook prepares to closely monitor the form of Gold Coast players over the final six weeks of a nightmare 2019 campaign.

“We are all playing for contracts,” Wallace said.

“The new coach coming in is going to be watching so we all, as players, have to make sure we are putting our hands up.

“Even with myself, I can’t think, ‘I’m safe’.

“The new coach might not like me and want to move me on, so the whole squad is playing for their futures and it’s important we have to impress the new coach in the coming weeks.”

Despite the Titans slumping to their second consecutive loss and having leaked 72 points since Garth Brennan’s sacking, Wallace insists Gold Coast players have not raised the white flag.

The 28-year-old has been one of the Titans’ most consistent players this season and says caretaker coaches Craig Hodges and Luke Burt have improved the spirit of the squad since replacing Brennan a fortnight ago.

Hodges has an 0-4 record as caretaker coach, first answering an SOS following Neil Henry’s sacking two years ago, and faces another torrid test bolstering confidence levels for the Roosters showdown.

“We have to play for each other and the fans. We have to get some confidence and have some fun at the back end of the year,” Wallace said.

“We have a big task over the next few weeks. We had Melbourne two weeks ago and now with the Roosters, it’s a tough ask but we have to play for pride to finish the year.

“It’s going to be a tough run home. We’ve got the Storm again (away in round 23) so it won’t be easy, but if we put in some effort, we might jag a few wins in the next six weeks.”

^^^^ Confidence Hahahahaha

It’s official Bods, on Titans Facebook page

Dear me,

Our commitment to your, the loyal Members of the Gold Coast Titans, remains unwavering.

We understand that the past few seasons have been disappointing and tough to take for you, particularly this year when expectations for improvement on the field were high.

Results like these are no longer acceptable for the Titans. Our Members and fans have had enough.

Tough decisions had to be made to ensure this club reaches it potential, and gives Titans fans a team to be proud of.

The Club has undergone a major reconstruction behind the scenes this year, largely out of the public eye, to strengthen its foundations for a future of sustained success.

The next major piece of that construction will be revealed shortly when we formally announce Justin Holbrook as the new Head Coach of the Titans for at least the next two years.

Our Members are crucial to the future of the Titans, so we wanted you to be among the first to hear the news – directly from the Club.

The Titans respectfully delayed making the news public to honour Justin’s request to deliver the news personally to his players and staff at St Helens before any official announcement.

As you would be aware, Justin is very highly regarded due to his incredible success as coach of St Helens in the English Super League.

That he has chosen to come to the Titans is a terrific vote of confidence in the strength and future of our club, and a wonderful coup for the Gold Coast.

Here is what Justin had to say about joining the Titans:

“The ingredients for a truly great club already exist at the Titans, and I am looking forward to moving to the Gold Coast to play my part in turning that vision into a reality.

“The Titans are a very strong club backed by a strong rugby league community, with a fantastic junior nursery that feeds an exceptional development and pathway system.

“I can’t wait to begin working with the excellent people already within the organisation to help the club reach its true potential.

“I would like to make special mention and thank the Gold Coast Titans for allowing me time to address my current players personally regarding my decision to join the Gold Coast, which could only occur this morning due to our training schedule.

“It was important the players heard it first from me, not by reading it online, as I have created an honest and trusted environment here at St Helens which needed to be respected.”

We hope you share the Club’s excitement at Justin’s appointment, and we look forward to your continued and valued support as he begins his tenure as Head Coach of the Gold Coast Titans.

An announcement to the public and media will be made through the Club’s various communication channels shortly.

Thanks for your faith and support,

Dennis Watt
    Executive Chairman
    Gold Coast Titans

Steve Mitchell
    Chief Executive Officer
    Gold Coast Titans

Glad to hear, fingers crossed that this is the appointment that turns us around on the field and turns us into a regular top 8 contender. What I hope for most is that he is given full control to do what he needs/wants to. None of this letting the players run riot and control the club (exactly what got Henry sacked). Holbrook is the boss and Mal needs to stand right by his side and agree with every decision he makes. Any player who doesn't agree with it can bugger off so the coach can do his job.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    It’s official Bods, on Titans Facebook page
    Good stuff.
    Well this is exciting.
    New Coach with great record and credentials.
    Leagues Club approved.

Let’s go GC

- - - Updated - - -

And Kent is an imbecile.
    Walters was too weak to back himself and pick up the phone
    Holbrook is the man we want.

Let all the haters criticise us now.
    Good. It’s more motivation.

My blood is absolutely boiling hearing what Kent said on 360. Why he has such a deep hatred for the Titans is beyond me but it's so clear to see. He says we kept the Kevvie rumours burning and alive by not shutting them down, when it was the bloody media who kept running the stories!!! I hope we absolutely kill it next year not only for my love of the club, but to kick the sand in the eyes of these tosser journalists. Credit to Brent Read for sticking up for us, he's one of the better ones.

Inactive User

Kent thinks we owe a Drongoe stooge who twice had the opportunity to apply but baulked both times.
    Cry me a river.
    Walters character defect was shown up both times that he couldn’t bring himself to apply. That’s his flaw-he only wants big clubs and big teams.
    Good on you Club Admin-we got the guy that our Active Fan Base most definitely wanted.
    Well done!

Ikin saying he feels misled and that he bets the Titans fanbase does too, HAHAHA what right does he have to comment as a part of the Titans community. Misled is the last thing I feel, and I think 95% of us fans are ecstatic with Holbrook being appointed. First smart decision I've seen the club make in a while and I was worried we would succumb to the media pressure and appoint Walters. So glad we didn't though, and now the media are just whinging because we didn't appoint their mates Kevvie (Kent) and Walker Bros (Ikin). Lets go Titans and bugger all of these media tools.

Titans can become 'truly great club' says new coach Holbrook
    NRL.com
    Wed 31 Jul 2019, 07:16 PM

Justin Holbrook says the Titans can become "a truly great club" after being confirmed as the next coach of the club on Wednesday night.

The 43-year-old St Helens mentor will join the club in the off-season after the departure of Garth Brennan.

"The ingredients for a truly great club already exist at the Titans, and I am looking forward to moving to the Gold Coast to play my part in turning that vision into a reality," Holbrook said.

"The Titans are a very strong club backed by a strong rugby league community, with a fantastic junior nursery that feeds an exceptional development and pathway system.

"I can't wait to begin working with the excellent people already within the organisation to help the club reach its true potential.

"I will of course be sad to leave St Helens, and will always be thankful for the opportunity and support that the club and its amazing fans gave to me.

"I will never forget my experience at St Helens, and hope to replicate it in my next challenge with the Gold Coast Titans."

The club delayed the official announcement of Holbrook's signing at his request so he could deliver the news personally to his players and staff at St Helens.

"I would like to make special mention and thank the Gold Coast Titans for allowing me time to address my current players personally regarding my decision to join the Gold Coast, which could only occur this morning due to our training schedule," he said.

"It was important the players heard it first from me, not by reading it online, as I have created an honest and trusted environment here at St Helens which needed to be respected."

At least Ready stuck up for us. From what I've seen of Read, I actually don't mind the guy for a journo.

Paul Kent having a tanty about not getting the right info. Fox think they run the league. All I saw was someone who didn't get his own way bag the club. Unfortunately he has a wide audience to sprout his garbage to. Damaging the club more is a good way to behave. Club did nothing wrong, at all.

QLD Cup

I've been really impressed how the club handled this whole coaching situation. We didn't feed the media in our process, all of our leaders were united and we got the man that we wanted.

Read stuck up for us throughout the whole segment and rebutted Kents argument with simple logic. Paul Kent has lost it and I'm sure people must be beginning to question his relevance to rugby league.