Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    58 - NIL. I think the Broncos should be relocated to be the second team on the Gold Coast. They are never going to win anything in Brisbane.
    How sweet that game was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    58 - NIL. I think the Broncos should be relocated to be the second team on the Gold Coast. They are never going to win anything in Brisbane.
    Bwahahaha that’s going straight to Courier Mail MT
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

I’m a Broncos fan. Here’s why their pub session pisses me off

September 17, 2019 3:50pmby Chris PaineSource: FOX SPORTS
    Sep 20 20197:50PM

COMMENT

At least half a dozen Broncos were out at the pub late on a Saturday night in Sydney playing the pokies.

The club’s first question when we first contacted them with the story on Tuesday was: “Were they drinking?”. The implication is if they were just at the pub to play Queen of the Nile, where’s the problem?

Here’s the problem. I’m a lifelong Brisbane Broncos fan and it pisses me off. I don’t care if they were playing the pokies or not. I don’t care if they were drinking or not. They’re grown men on their own time and to be perfectly honest, it sounds like a half decent Saturday night. No, it pisses me off because about 16 hours later they had the biggest game of their season, and for many of the players the biggest of their careers. And they didn’t just fail, they quit. They quit on themselves, the club and the fans.

When it comes to professional sport, preparation is everything. Peyton Manning once drove through snow and unlocked the gates of his team’s headquarters himself at 11pm to start preparing for the Super Bowl. This was roughly half an hour after winning one of the biggest games of his career. He was straight into the film room, getting himself prepared, figuring out how to fix what few mistakes he’d made that night.

Michael Jordan once took a young Tiger Woods to Madison Square Garden at 5am the day of a game against the Knicks. He wanted to show him first-hand what being a professional looks like. Jordan made Woods toss him the ball with just the right amount of backspin, so he could practise his fade-away jumper. They practised it 200 times. That night, Jordan hit the game winner: a fade-away jumper.

Fans expect nothing more than effort. You play your heart out for my club, and do everything in your power to give your very best, you’ll never hear me complain. You want to know they care just as much as you do. That they have pride in the jersey you grew up wearing in the playground.

As a charmed Broncos fan growing up in Brisbane in the 90s, I just believed the club was supposed to win. What I now know is that it was supposed to win because Wayne Bennett built a winning culture through effort, hard work, respect and a commitment to excellence at all times. It’s no wonder the boys tell at least one yarn every week on The Matty Johns Podcast about a player who worked his **** off, and revel in the tale. Effort is everything.

I’m not sure there’s a world where I believe your best possible preparation for a must-win final, away from home, includes sneaking out the team hotel for a late-night pokies session. Far be it from me to decry a spin or two on Where’s The Gold on a Saturday evening, but I’m not the one here preparing to represent a professional rugby league club just hours later. If they’d gone out and belted the Eels, this wouldn’t be a story. But they didn’t, and it is.

When we contacted the Broncos earlier today, it was the first they’d heard of their players’ pokies outing. Anthony Seibold nor any of the Broncos officials had any idea. They told us they’d get us a response.

It’s a good thing the club is about to kick off a review. First item on the agenda: know everything about your operation. Not knowing is just as bad, if not worse, than knowing. It doesn’t say a hell of a lot about Seibold’s standing in that locker room. You can’t imagine a Wayne Bennett team pulling this sort of stunt.

Some of the culprits are just teenagers, but for some of the others -- Gillett, Milford, McCullough -- these are veteran leaders. They should know better. They should know what excellence looks like and set the tone, not join in on the shenanigans.

I was six years old when Steve ‘The Pearl’ Renouf took a long pass from Alfie Langer on the first tackle and sprinted 95 metres to score one of the great grand final tries. The Broncos went on to belt the Dragons 28-8 and win the first of five premierships that decade. I was 12 when Gorden Tallis won the Clive Churchill Medal in his first season as a Bronco. I was 14 when Shane Webcke played in the 2000 grand final with a broken arm. I was 20 when the Broncos won a title to end Webcke’s final game, Darren Lockyer’s finest season. And we beat the Storm. Everyone loves to beat the Storm.

I no longer recognise the club I grew up holding in the highest esteem. I’m not sure how old I’ll be when I do.

I know this is an article about the donkeys but a lot of what this guy is saying we have said about our club. If only some of our players showed half the passion that some of our biggest supporters do (most are on here)
    Last edited by SCoast Titan; 17-09-19 at 06:25 PM.

QLD Cup

That's a good read and spot on what it takes to get to the top. Our team doesn't have the same history of success. But my hope has always been to follow a team that cares and tries 100 percent when they take the field.

It's all starting to unravel like I mentioned it would earlier this year. The internal review is about to begin, and there will be some players shown the door. But the biggest scalps will be Paul White and Anthony Seibold.

Then all hail, Kevvie Walters. Like the long term Drongo fan that wrote the piece above, they will see Walters as their savior and able to instil some culture back into the joint. It'll take them another couple of seasons to figure out Walters wasn't the answer either. Drongoes' fan best get used to their team to under performing for a few years to come.

Rep Player

No way they sack Seibold one year into a five year contract, especially since they made the 8.

Haha, they stumbled into the 8, and were exposed first game in. Also, it would appear Seibold has started to lose the group when the players opted to go out the night before.

Anyway, I'm not stating that's exactly how it's going to unfold. Just a gut feeling to what I think might come of that mob over time.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Haha, they stumbled into the 8, and were exposed first game in. Also, it would appear Seibold has started to lose the group when the players opted to go out the night before.

Anyway, I'm not stating that's exactly how it's going to unfold. Just a gut feeling to what I think might come of that mob over time.
    If any club can afford to pay out a long term coach it’s the Drongoes

We live on the Gold Coast. How many bikie organisations have we go that would knee cap our long term contract no hopers?

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    No way they sack Seibold one year into a five year contract, especially since they made the 8.
    Also, it begs to question why someone would sign a unproven head coach to a 5 year contract. It hints towards someone making a desperate move to cover their butt. I hope this is also questioned in their internal review.

As much as a turd Bennett can be. They should've done what they couldve to retain him. I wouldn't be surprised there was a great Mexican stand-off between Bennett and White, and White blinked first and Bennett had his way from there on. I'm sure doing White slowly bought much joy to Bennett probably more so than what the final payout figure bought him.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, the Nick "58-Nil" would be a great name for a trolling account on the Drongoes forum.

Inactive User

They can’t even sell 20000 tickets for Easts to play a GF Qualifier. They should be the team moved to Brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    They can’t even sell 20000 tickets for Easts to play a GF Qualifier. They should be the team moved to Brisbane.
    The strange thing is that I was at the gf last year and there was easily 40k roosters supporters there. I think they are just used to success and will probably just wait to go next week. If only we had that choice here.

They're giving away free tickets so why would you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods;398028((
    If any club can afford to pay out a long term coach it’s the Drongoes
    Included in his 5 year deal (with an option for a sixth) is a performance based termination clause with an agreed pay out figure should the broncos choose to part ways with Seibold. If they decide to punt him...they only have to pay him 12 months salary...not the remainder of what they may owe.

I don't think he was under much pressure this year...but next year will see him under the pump!
    Last edited by Menoitios; 27-09-19 at 08:18 AM.

This freaked me out. I thought this story was reheated again. I can't be involved with anything Ribot touches.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER