Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Rep Player

We need to walk before we can run, Bods. Our first focus must be on future-proofing the club. We can't have all our dreams come true right away.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    We need to walk before we can run, Bods. Our first focus must be on future-proofing the club. We can't have all our dreams come true right away.
    Where do you live currently? I’m thinking you aren’t a GC resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Where do you live currently? I’m thinking you aren’t a GC resident.
    C'mon don't be so overprotective mate. Just because we want to look after the future of our club does not mean we are haters of the Gold Coast. We are agreeing that it should remain GC Titans but like every club we should be looking to grow the club whenever we can

Rep Player

I live in Brisbane for work but spent 23 years of my life on the GC and was born there. I’m just as much of a Gold Coaster as anyone, so I resent the implication, thank you very much.

Inactive User

I just want transparency so we can have some context. It’s obvious Bundy is in Bundy, NZFan revealed he’s in Darwin and thank you for that and I was keen to know where wilhelm was coming from metaphorically and literally. Its helpful if people put it in their profile so you don’t need to ask.

I’m not buying into this get our games out of GC agenda. No way. In fact no apologies given for asking if you aren’t here.
    How to future proof?
    A-get the 20k plus fans of 2007-2010 back by being successful.
    B-local juniors brought on, kept and brought back
    C-don’t take the p**s at the local community by being a quasi GC team, the locals will see right through that and conclude that the club isn’t fair dinkum. They have to be the local GC/Northern Rivers/Tweed team.

Games in Brisbane play into the hands of the non-viable folk. It destabilises. Every game in Brisbane will provoke relocation discussion.

I take the point about the Drongoe Round and how clubs take 1 game a year away somewhere. Northern NSW preferably. That’s the limit.

Might as well have merged with the Bears and followed their model of playing 3 games on the Central Coast and 1 at North Sydney Oval every year and had the financial stability of their leagues clubs backing us. We didn’t want that then and was a key factor in why we backed Daryl and Rebecca.

Be GC.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 25-07-19 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I just want transparency so we can have some context. It’s obvious Bundy is in Bundy, NZFan revealed he’s in Darwin and thank you for that and I was keen to know where wilhelm was coming from metaphorically and literally. Its helpful if people put it in their profile so you don’t need to ask.

I’m not buying into this get our games out of GC agenda. No way. In fact no apologies given for asking if you aren’t here.
    How to future proof?
    A-get the 20k plus fans of 2007-2010 back by being successful.
    B-local juniors brought on, kept and brought back
    C-don’t take the p**s at the local community by being a quasi GC team, the locals will see right through that and conclude that the club isn’t fair dinkum. They have to be the local GC/Northern Rivers/Tweed team.

Games in Brisbane play into the hands of the non-viable folk. It destabilises. Every game in Brisbane will provoke relocation discussion.

I take the point about the Drongoe Round and how clubs take 1 game a year away somewhere. Northern NSW preferably. That’s the limit.

Might as well have merged with the Bears and followed their model of playing 3 games on the Central Coast and 1 at North Sydney Oval every year and had the financial stability of their leagues clubs backing us. We didn’t want that then and was a key factor in why we backed Daryl and Rebecca.

Be GC.
    I agree with you Bods in that one game perhaps two home games away is the limit. For me it's probably one.

One thing people seem to forget these days is that since the new media deal, clubs are funded by grants to the value of the salary capplus 30% (I think). They only need to cover admin costs (non playing staff and the cost of running games) and although these costs are significant a successful team results in bigger crowds and sponsorship revenues. Playing your games at home surely makes it easier to win.
    A few weeks ago Darryl Kelly said the poor performances this year would result in them making a loss when in fact they had expected a small surplus. This implies that we DO NOT need to take games away for the owners to make a profit. The danger of private ownership is that there is profit....and larger profit and while I don't want our owners to make a loss I don't want them to sell our soul just to make a bigger profit. If I could be convinced that our survival required games to be taken away then ok, and I agree that we should play a game away as part of Magic Round or in the scrub to help grow the game but that is all. Darryl's words indicate to me that we do not need to take games away.

Good to see this stupid shxt refuted by the owners.

Titans owners put rumours to bed about team relocating to Brisbane

“WE’RE not going anywhere.”

That’s the defiant message from Gold Coast Titans owners Rebecca Frizelle and Daryl Kelly, who have put to bed the scuttlebutt and “ignorant opinions” about the Coast franchise packing up shop and moving up the road to Brisbane.

Ms Frizelle said despite all of the talk, the team cannot legally be moved unless the co-owners decide they want to do that.

“We haven’t paid it much attention, because we thought it was so fanciful and ridiculous, we just put it to the side and thought ‘how silly, no one is going to buy into that’,” Ms Frizelle said.

“But it unsettles our fans and members, which is fair enough, so we need to put this to rest.

“It just won’t happen, legally, despite what anybody wants, it can’t happen unless the Frizelle’s and the Kelly’s agree to it. And we’re never going to agree to it.

“I think the hard part for us is the game has a problem with people who suffer from relevance syndrome, it’s a terrible virus in rugby league, but it strikes a number.

“I think we sometimes fall at the hands of that, because we have so many wonderful helpers on the sidelines commenting that really have no understanding of what’s going on, none whatsoever.”

Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly said there was no chance of a move.

“We’re the only ones who can make the decision and we’re not going anywhere.

“We only invested for one reason, because we thought the Gold Coast deserved and needed a bloomin’ NRL side and it’s something we still believe in.

“We’ve had the club for two years, it’s a bit early days to be calling for it to be shifted.

“And as far as I understand it the broadcasters want more Queensland teams not less Queensland teams … why would you give up the Gold Coast for goodness sake, it’s rugby league heartland.”

Ms Frizelle said there was no way the NRL would let the Titans be moved from one of the greatest breeding grounds for rugby league talent in the country.

“The NRL did not spend 15 or 20 million dollars, a substantial amount of money, to keep the club alive after it went into administration, only to move it’s licence.

“If they were going to do it, they would have moved it then, when they were the owners, and they didn’t.

“They know how important it is to have a club here, it is very strategically important to them as a region, they are never doing it.

“We’re defending over 100 years of rugby league on the Gold Coast, it’s a heartland for rugby league, it’s the second largest junior nursery in the country, we’ve invested over $1.2 million in junior rugby league players that hasn’t been done before, if that isn’t a clear signal in what we’re doing to build for the future, than I don’t know what is.”

Although the Titans aren’t going anywhere, Ms Frizelle said she believes if another team is to go into Brisbane, a 16 team league would be the way forward.

“Firstly you’ve got to think about the funding model. Where’s the funding going to come from to field a 17th team? The clubs all get grants, there is only a certain amount of funding, so it’s got to come out of the existing clubs, who will have to accept less to fund another team.

“The broadcasters aren’t going to pay more to put another team in.

“You come back to that simple math, the clubs aren’t going to cop getting less than what they are now to put a 17th team in, this is my theory.

“You come back to the 16, it would make sense that they would move a club, or put out offers, but they can’t move any club, unless the club wants to move.

“The broadcasters don’t want less teams in Queensland, they want more.”

She said there has been a lot of great work going on off the field, with the club hopefully turning it around on the park next year.

“There are so many great things happening behind the scenes, the club has never been in a better position then it is now.

“Obviously our on field performance is disappointing, it’s certainly not where we expected it to be. We can’t forget half of our playing roster got lost to injury at the start of the year, we lost our two halves at the start, we lost our captain, ever since then, we’ve been ravaged by injury.

“We’re putting our tender together now to have an NRLW team and we will keep pressure on until we get one.

“We have some of the most loyal fans and members in the game and we have some of the best sponsors and partners in the game and we’re so appreciative of that. We will fight and continue the good fight and we won’t lose and we will be hear talking and laughing about this in another 20 years.”

Inactive User

^^^^ Love It!!

People who suffer from “relevance syndrome” ... you have to admit that shot at the NRL fringes has been a long time coming.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

Great article and I hope we keep the front foot on the throat of the scum like Badel and Rothfield

Rep Player

Long overdue, love it

strong words.

Ive said all along that it would never happen simply due to the investment into pathways and also the new leagues club means our owners are committed and the only we move is if they want to and those investments mean they dont. you dont build a leagues club if you have one foot out the door.

And now they have said as much.

So the pity of it all is that so much media real estate is wasted on a nothing story. wasting 10-15 minutes of a one hour show on a fantasy.

What an article, absolutely love it. Buzz can crawl back into his cave and realise we're here to stay on the GC. Something on twitter made me laugh, a year or two ago both Kent and Rothfield said that a Sydney team should be relocated and fast forward 2 years and they say you can't move a Sydney club as it would be detrimental and that the Titans should be moved

People in the media are only picking on us because we are coming last and have had our worst season to date. Yet still we average 2k more in crowd attendance than the "mighty" Red V. Glad to hear the owners are committed and now hopefully we can turn it around on the field in 2020 and beyond so these journo's jump off our back.

Junior

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/...home-our-team/

The vid from presto should be sent to every nrl journo to show the passion and hard work that is on the Gold Coast

58 - NIL. I think the Broncos should be relocated to be the second team on the Gold Coast. They are never going to win anything in Brisbane.