Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Meninga to undertake review of football operations

Meninga to undertake review of football operations

The Gold Coast Titans Board of Directors has asked the Club’s Head of Performance and Culture, Mal Meninga, to oversee a full and comprehensive mid-season review of the Titans’ football operations.

With the recent departure of former Titans Head of Football Phil Moss, the Board has decided to broaden Mr Meninga’s role to now also include direct oversight and control of the Football Department and its operations.

As the first assignment of his expanded role, the Board has asked Mr Meninga to work together with the Club’s coaches, staff and players to conduct a full and comprehensive review of all Football Department operations and performance with instructions to report back to the Board with his findings and recommendations.

The Club continues to grow and evolve in other areas of the business and believes the foundations for the Club’s future success are in place.

However the Board believes that on-field performances from the Titans over the first 10 rounds of the NRL premiership have not met the Club’s standards for success, nor the expectations of our Members, supporters and corporate partners.

Therefore, the Board decided that a holistic review of our football operations was required to ensure the team and its supporters are being given the best chance to savour success in the NRL premiership.

The Board gratefully acknowledges the on-going support of the Titans’ major sponsors, corporate partners, Members and fans, and reaffirms the Club’s commitment to creating a successful rugby league team for the Gold Coast and Northern Rivers communities to be proud of.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/...ll-operations/

- - - Updated - - -

Could this spell the end of Brennan and also the end of the unprofessional attitude of the club? Lets hope Big Mal does the job

Inactive User

Oops I posted that elsewhere
    So I’ll say it here too

#sackbrennan

Wrong bloke for the job. He's got just as much to answer for with how poorly the club is performing on the field.

Can i just say that mal has had less than 9 months with the club for 1 and for 2 that most clubs that are underperforming do a mid season review anyway, with moss gone mal has moved to football operations "temporarily"

this is probably the end of garth with the club making it public. lurker had mail that brennan would go quietly in the origin period, the questions are - do the club have someone in mind that can bring a culture and work with the group or are we going to enter a rebuild which i feel is rediculous given the talent we have on paper

Or does Mal take over as interim? But that wasn't the role we hired him from and it could be a short term solution and lessen Mal's long term impact here. I think GB will be moved on, he has been given time now and we aren't seen the results.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

One positive which I don’t recall happening for many years is that both our feeder clubs are going well in the QCup

Inactive User

Surely Mal Meninga as our Culture Guru has some guy in mind especially from his Origin Days as Coach that he’d love to bring in and work with.
    Come on Mal-tell the Board to sack Brennan and bring in your man.

Save us Mal!!!

Having Mal do this review is like having the co-pilot do an airplane crash investigation.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Having Mal do this review is like having the co-pilot do an airplane crash investigation.
    I don't see how Mal can be blamed for any of this. It is not his job to coach, it's Brennans. Mal's job is to put the structures in place behind the scenes to formulate a winning culture. As far as I can see he is doing that. His public profile alone brings more respectability to the club.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with from the review. As far as I can see, Brennan has everything he needs to succeed. He's got his favourite players, a game plan that he wants to play and coaches around him that he has chosen. He also does not have any other responsibilities other than coaching this season, so it should have his undivided attention. But it is not a winning combination.

To me, Brennan seems too concerned about satisfying player well-being and being everyones mate to be an effective coach. I'll point to selecting Don every week to ensure he became the player with the most tries at the club and the massive woo-ha he made about Arthars debuting, even though we lost that game. He just doesn't have the cut throat-win at all costs-mentality that is required to be successful at NRL level.

Mal isn't dumb. He has one of the smartest footy brains going around. I have no doubt that he sees this and I expect that something will be done to rectify it.

I think you will find that Mal purposefully stayed away from the coaching aspect so that he could watch from afar.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I don't see how Mal can be blamed for any of this. It is not his job to coach, it's Brennans. Mal's job is to put the structures in place behind the scenes to formulate a winning culture. As far as I can see he is doing that. His public profile alone brings more respectability to the club.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with from the review. As far as I can see, Brennan has everything he needs to succeed. He's got his favourite players, a game plan that he wants to play and coaches around him that he has chosen. He also does not have any other responsibilities other than coaching this season, so it should have his undivided attention. But it is not a winning combination.

To me, Brennan seems too concerned about satisfying player well-being and being everyones mate to be an effective coach. I'll point to selecting Don every week to ensure he became the player with the most tries at the club and the massive woo-ha he made about Arthars debuting, even though we lost that game. He just doesn't have the cut throat-win at all costs-mentality that is required to be successful at NRL level.

Mal isn't dumb. He has one of the smartest footy brains going around. I have no doubt that he sees this and I expect that something will be done to rectify it.
    We are second from the bottom of the ladder, we don't have a winning culture, we have a culture of not trying to lose. Nobody respects the club.

Totally agree that Brennan would appear to be the person who has the responsibilities for our failures.

Anyone want to chime in with some stats from his time as the Raiders coach. Pretty sure he missed 2 out of 4 finals appearances before he was replaced. Don't get mixed up with a successful QLD team.

QLD Cup

We are second from the bottom of the ladder, we don't have a winning culture, we have a culture of not trying to lose. Nobody respects the club.

Totally agree that Brennan would appear to be the person who has the responsibilities for our failures.

Anyone want to chime in with some stats from his time as the Raiders coach. Pretty sure he missed 2 out of 4 finals appearances before he was replaced. Don't get mixed up with a successful QLD team.
    You have to build a winning culture though it doesn't just happen overnight. I agree, at the moment we do not have that. Our culture is pathetic and we seem content at accepting mediocrity.

Mal's early coaching stats don't have anything to do with anything though. He's not a coach now so they are irrelevant. If anything they would benefit him to illustrate what not to do. He's been around the game long enough to see a coach who is out of his depth. I'm willing to hold my judgement of Mal until after the review is done

You have to build a winning culture though it doesn't just happen overnight. I agree, at the moment we do not have that. Our culture is pathetic and we seem content at accepting mediocrity.

Mal's early coaching stats don't have anything to do with anything though. He's not a coach now so they are irrelevant. If anything they would benefit him to illustrate what not to do. He's been around the game long enough to see a coach who is out of his depth. I'm willing to hold my judgement of Mal until after the review is done
    I mentioned Mals coaching stats due to your comment regarding his footy brain being one of the smartest going around.

Not sure you can make a judgement after the review when the guy we are talking about is doing the review. Unless he comes to his senses and says "sack me too" just so he can sever ties with the club.

QLD Cup

I mentioned Mals coaching stats due to your comment regarding his footy brain being one of the smartest going around.

Not sure you can make a judgement after the review when the guy we are talking about is doing the review. Unless he comes to his senses and says "sack me too" just so he can sever ties with the club.
    Surely what he has done with Queensland and Australia trumps his early coaching record though. I would say that he has learnt a lot since he first started coaching first grade.

What is it that you expect him to be doing? Yes, his job title is head of performance but he cannot physically coach the team. The coach was here when Mal got here. Whether the coach is performing as well as he should be will all be part of the review. If it was five years down the track and the club is still in the same shape where we have tried changing coaches etc and we are still losing, then yes I would say the criticism of Mal is warranted. But you have to allow him an opportunity to do his job don't you. He hasn't even been here for a season yet.

Surely what he has done with Queensland and Australia trumps his early coaching record though. I would say that he has learnt a lot since he first started coaching first grade.

What is it that you expect him to be doing? Yes, his job title is head of performance but he cannot physically coach the team. The coach was here when Mal got here. Whether the coach is performing as well as he should be will all be part of the review. If it was five years down the track and the club is still in the same shape where we have tried changing coaches etc and we are still losing, then yes I would say the criticism of Mal is warranted. But you have to allow him an opportunity to do his job don't you. He hasn't even been here for a season yet.
    I don't count coaches as being tied in with the QLD success. When you have a team of superstar immortals you all know your job.

What is Mal doing?, no idea as I haven't seen a change at the club since his appointment. My point is that it should have been a totally independent review of our football department.